The Student Room Group

Can you use the abbreviation of MOOCs in your personal statement?

Abbreviations are generally not used in academic writing and on personal statements but MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) seem to be quite popular and none of my teachers have flagged this up as an issue in my personal statement. Should I waste characters and write it in full or feel comforted by the lack of correction and use the abbreviation?
Original post by MinnieMe123
Abbreviations are generally not used in academic writing and on personal statements but MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) seem to be quite popular and none of my teachers have flagged this up as an issue in my personal statement. Should I waste characters and write it in full or feel comforted by the lack of correction and use the abbreviation?

Write it in full the first time and then abbreviate it thereafter.

Don’t assume whoever reads it will know what one is. I score personal statements and I’m not an academic member of staff.
I think it’s a widely enough used acronym that they will know what you mean, like it would be fine to say GCSE but it would be kinda weird/unnecessary to put “General certificate of secondary education.
I used the abbreviation
I'd say so yeah, all admissions staff should know what a MOOC is - after all hundreds (if not thousands) use it in their PS every year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending