The Student Room Group

overwhelmed with school

so the thing is that I'm really struggling with school and studying for the final exams, doing the IAs (I'm Y13 doing the IB).
the thing is I was always a high scoring student, got over 90% in all subjects at my GCSE-equivalent exams (I'm not from the UK) and was predicted 45/45 in the IB and that was my goal tbh since the start of Y12, however, now I am so overwhelmed with actually studying and preparing for the exams, I also have no good-quality notes, I always studyied for the in class tests from my class notes and study guides, but it was because I knew the content from class and had to just go over it. so now I have to make all the notes to actually study for the exams (I find studying fro textbooks inefficient for me) and I planned it out when and what topics I should cover, but this would mean I finish them in around mid-March and then start studying which, again, would be fine since the exams are in May so that's plenty of time, however, I'm stressed that the exams get cancelled due to the pandemic like it was last year and then the mocks, for which I won't manage to revise as well as for the real exams, will be extremely important :// because of that I'm just stressing out, refusing to study and prepare at all and honestly don't know what to do
if anyone has any tips on how to cope with it, I would be more than grateful (:
Original post by Anonymous
so the thing is that I'm really struggling with school and studying for the final exams, doing the IAs (I'm Y13 doing the IB).
the thing is I was always a high scoring student, got over 90% in all subjects at my GCSE-equivalent exams (I'm not from the UK) and was predicted 45/45 in the IB and that was my goal tbh since the start of Y12, however, now I am so overwhelmed with actually studying and preparing for the exams, I also have no good-quality notes, I always studyied for the in class tests from my class notes and study guides, but it was because I knew the content from class and had to just go over it. so now I have to make all the notes to actually study for the exams (I find studying fro textbooks inefficient for me) and I planned it out when and what topics I should cover, but this would mean I finish them in around mid-March and then start studying which, again, would be fine since the exams are in May so that's plenty of time, however, I'm stressed that the exams get cancelled due to the pandemic like it was last year and then the mocks, for which I won't manage to revise as well as for the real exams, will be extremely important :// because of that I'm just stressing out, refusing to study and prepare at all and honestly don't know what to do
if anyone has any tips on how to cope with it, I would be more than grateful (:

Try listening to lectures on the subjects. No notes just listen preferably in your pjs and with a drink you like.

This will parlov your brain into thinking schoolwork=relaxed then start taking small notes and gradually studying (stay in the pjs or comfy clothes it’ll help)
Reply 2
Original post by Blueclueless
Try listening to lectures on the subjects. No notes just listen preferably in your pjs and with a drink you like.

This will parlov your brain into thinking schoolwork=relaxed then start taking small notes and gradually studying (stay in the pjs or comfy clothes it’ll help)

hmm I don't think that's a good idea, I never study in pjs cause I can't focus and actually when I'm home I always wear comfy clothes, so that's irrelevant really
and well, I learn best by repeating my notes, not by lectures
but thanks for good intentions I guess
Your issue appears to be stress. Research it as a separate subject and find a response(s) that suits you.

Studying, revising and exams (inc. cancellations) will always be stressful but developing stress management strategies may help.

Quick Reply

Latest