The Student Room Group

Work experience and voluntary work in lockdown

I had mock exams recently, so my plan was to focus on these first and then in the new year I would make a start on building up my cv. But my plans were heavily affected by lockdown, and now I literally have no experience at all. My plan is to apply to some top unis (considering international) and so I’m pretty concerned that this could potentially damage my future. If anyone has any ideas for work experience and volunteering in lockdown, or advice about what unis love to see, I would really appreciate the help. I should also add I don’t know an awful lot about specifically what and how much unis would expect with this. I’m almost finished with secondary school though, so I know I still have a good amount of time left. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
you could try volunteering online: like talking to old people over the phone (or whatever you're interested in).
universities recognise that this is a really difficult time to get volunteering or wex done, so they'll be forgiving, but would be really impressed if you found a way to work around lockdown restrictions (such as going online).
Unless you are wanting to apply for something like nursing or teaching, work experience and volunteering aren't essential (and even those situations are a little different this year). If your course is academic, then do things like extra reading, online courses etc. to show your interest and boost your PS instead :smile:
Focus on your goals and skills.
Hi there,

I would recommend seeing if there are any volunteering opportunities you can get involved in with your local community :smile: Is there a food bank you could possibly go to and help out? Doing activities like this really helps you develop the skills universities (and later down the line, employers) are looking for, such as: organisation, listening, teamwork etc :smile:

Hope that helps!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending