The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You should just go on those 2p falls games.
Reply 2
Umm... they'll only take them in those little plastic bags, and they won't take them if they're mixed, so you can't mix 1ps and 2ps together. If you have something like £3 in 1ps and £2 in 2ps then yes, they'll take them. But not if they're mixed.
Reply 3
Coinstar don't charge all that much.
Reply 4
coinstar charge something like 7p/pound, which isn't that much, but I don't like the idea of being charged to change a couple of coins...

ask the bank for money bags. I'm not if it's the same for all banks (I should imagine it is) but for 1ps you'll need a pounds worth, and same for 2ps. You can't mix the coins.

...it's actually quite a good way of saving money, because you can use them for 20 pounds worth of 1/2 pound coins, so instead of just spending your spare cash, save it, and it can add up to quite a bit...
Reply 5
I changed up my penny jar at a coinstar yesterday to help me buy my last shopping before uni. It came to about £16. They took off 7p from every pound, 7x16=£1.12. It's really not that much for the convenience.
Change it to another currency..like Indonesian or something, you'll pennies which be quickly transformed into notes :p:

failing that, your local bank should take it, otherwise they'll have a limit on how much you can change..if thats the case, then change the maximum and go back several times :biggrin:
Reply 7
Some banks have similar machines which charge nothing.
W@t3R
I have about £5 in 1p and 2p...

The coinstair in the local Asda will charge me... will they tale this in the bank?

If they don't take it in the bank, what's the best way to use it?

Hmmm....

i was jsut about to suggest the machines at asda!

the post office? they can weight out the diff coins and swap it for anote. or give them to a friend who works in a shopwho can change them for you :smile:

slot machines?
Reply 9
my local hsbc has a big coin machine which is free of charge.
Reply 10
Haha, found a better way..... them self service machines in Asda/Sainsburys etc.....
I grabbed a handful of coins, probably amounts to about 30p-50p. I went to Asda, did my shopping, when it was time to pay I just stuffed all of the coins in there and paid the rest with a £5 note.

I'm sure a few more shopping trips will use up all my coins :smile:

Thanks all for contributing!
I thought you can mix 1p and 2ps? You can't mix 1ps/2ps with any other coin in the same way you can't mix 5p/10ps with £1 coins?
I swear I've given my bank a bag with 1p/2ps in and they took it.
charla
I thought you can mix 1p and 2ps? You can't mix 1ps/2ps with any other coin in the same way you can't mix 5p/10ps with £1 coins?
I swear I've given my bank a bag with 1p/2ps in and they took it.

I bet you made someone's day! :yep:

lmao
Original post by Hygge
Coinstar don't charge all that much.

They really do
Original post by W@t3R
I have about £5 in 1p and 2p...

The coinstair in the local Asda will charge me... will they tale this in the bank?

If they don't take it in the bank, what's the best way to use it?

Hmmm....

MEtro bank coin machine. free

Latest

Trending

Trending