The Student Room Group

Do International social and public policy courses LSE/UCl) require high level of math

The course mentioned above was one of the ones I was interested in after undergraduate however I feel studying at LSE would be difficult since I haven’t taken maths since GCSE which is now 5 years ago. Apart from that it’s an area I came across during my dissertation and It is an area I am interested in. Has anyone done this subject or a similar one and how did you like it/not like it and what was your academic background prior to joining the course. Thank you
I don't think so necessarily, however as with any social science at masters level you will probably need to be able to engage with a certain range of social research methods, including quantitative methods, and be able to interpret statistical data etc, that might be present in papers you are reading for the lecture courses or your masters dissertation.

So I'm not sure there is so much an explicit requirement that you need to have any particular mathematical background, but there is probably an implicit requirement you are able to think quantitatively and put into practice at least some basic quantitative techniques of data analysis and interpretation where necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't think so necessarily, however as with any social science at masters level you will probably need to be able to engage with a certain range of social research methods, including quantitative methods, and be able to interpret statistical data etc, that might be present in papers you are reading for the lecture courses or your masters dissertation.

So I'm not sure there is so much an explicit requirement that you need to have any particular mathematical background, but there is probably an implicit requirement you are able to think quantitatively and put into practice at least some basic quantitative techniques of data analysis and interpretation where necessary.

Thanks for your reply, as a student who has only studied GCSE maths (I got an A) do you feel I need to learn a bit of A level stats
Original post by Clip678
Thanks for your reply, as a student who has only studied GCSE maths (I got an A) do you feel I need to learn a bit of A level stats

Not sure, it's probably not helpful thinking about things in terms of A-level vs GCSE at this point. If you need to cover any material they will tell you in the course syllabuses once you start and then you will see and know which topics you do need to know about. Likewise if you need to use some particular statistical test for your dissertation you should be able to discuss this with your supervisor then study the relevant material for it then :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Not sure, it's probably not helpful thinking about things in terms of A-level vs GCSE at this point. If you need to cover any material they will tell you in the course syllabuses once you start and then you will see and know which topics you do need to know about. Likewise if you need to use some particular statistical test for your dissertation you should be able to discuss this with your supervisor then study the relevant material for it then :smile:

Cool, thanks for your help 👍

Quick Reply

Latest