Help me decide please

Watch this thread
softhbb
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can’t pick whether I want to go into becoming a chemical engineer or a clinical scientist
this affects my a-level options whether I should continue with biology or physics instead

I enjoy maths and chemistry a lot which is why I chose those 2 broad paths,
I want my degree to have some level of maths and chemistry just because I’m more motivated to do my assignments

I also think of working with chemicals and formulations just because it strangely appeals to me
But realistically I have to be thinking about salary too.

Also I’d like to inform you that I am SICK of a level biology, therefore I persuaded the science department to give me a chance in physics (I’m still trying to catch up)
imnotgoodatmaths
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
would you feel able to take 4 a-levels and maybe just add physics as well as biology?
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by imnotgoodatmaths)
would you feel able to take 4 a-levels and maybe just add physics as well as biology?
to be totally honest, I couldn’t even handle 3 earlier on so I really don’t want to do 4 subjects which is why I’m thinking of dropping one asap ://

thanks for replying tho
imnotgoodatmaths
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
okay then maybe consider which one you enjoy. It may be worth matching your interests to a career as oppose to trying to enjoy something even when you don't. Basically maybe look into unis that don't require biology? or go into something like chemical engineering which requires chemistry and maths, if you think you'd enjoy physics more, i think moving is the right option
emileeeei
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by softhbb)
I can’t pick whether I want to go into becoming a chemical engineer or a clinical scientist
this affects my a-level options whether I should continue with biology or physics instead

I want my degree to have some level of maths and chemistry just because I’m more motivated to do my assignments

I also think of working with chemicals and formulations just because it strangely appeals to me

Also I’d like to inform you that I am SICK of a level biology, therefore I persuaded the science department to give me a chance in physics (I’m still trying to catch up)
If you dont like bio - drop it... for most science courses, you will need at least 2 science subjects, and it wont necessarily matter which, which you would have with chemistry and physics, but your grades in them will be super important. you would still be able to apply for the other course in a lot of unis by going for a broader degree to begin with (eg natural sciences) and then narrowing down to what you want to do - so its best to take whichever one you're going to perform best in, because frankly the grade you get is more important than the subject. maths chem and phys is an incredibly strong subject combination for almost any science course
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by imnotgoodatmaths)
okay then maybe consider which one you enjoy. It may be worth matching your interests to a career as oppose to trying to enjoy something even when you don't. Basically maybe look into unis that don't require biology? or go into something like chemical engineering which requires chemistry and maths, if you think you'd enjoy physics more, i think moving is the right option
Thank youu so much i feel more encouraged to continue with physics now 😄
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by emileeeei)
If you dont like bio - drop it... for most science courses, you will need at least 2 science subjects, and it wont necessarily matter which, which you would have with chemistry and physics, but your grades in them will be super important. you would still be able to apply for the other course in a lot of unis by going for a broader degree to begin with (eg natural sciences) and then narrowing down to what you want to do - so its best to take whichever one you're going to perform best in, because frankly the grade you get is more important than the subject. maths chem and phys is an incredibly strong subject combination for almost any science course
Thank you so much, I will consider moving to physics completely and talk to my head and science department, I feel like a burden off my shoulders when I think of dropping biology 😄😄 and I’ll try my best in achieving the best grades possible
emileeeei
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank youu so much i feel more encouraged to continue with physics now 😄
Thank you so much, I will consider moving to physics completely and talk to my head and science department, I feel like a burden off my shoulders when I think of dropping biology 😄😄 and I’ll try my best in achieving the best grades possible
if dropping bio feels like such a burden lifted, then you know you've made the right decision good luck!
Raman9
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Just to weigh in - Physics is NOT needed for Chemical Engineering. Chem + Math is all that the majority of unis require (Imperial and Cambridge accept Bio as a third A-level)
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

What about as a career? In clinical science I'd imagine you'd be based mainly in a lab, whereas in engineering you're likely to be based in either an office or onsite, at a process facility (e.g. pharmaceutical plant, oil refinery, water treatment facility etc.). What kind of job are you looking for?
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
What about as a career? In clinical science I'd imagine you'd be based mainly in a lab, whereas in engineering you're likely to be based in either an office or onsite, at a process facility (e.g. pharmaceutical plant, oil refinery, water treatment facility etc.). What kind of job are you looking for?
I like the idea of a lab over a process facility
but what holds me back is having to study biology I really hate it and cannot bear it anymore
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I like the idea of a lab over a process facility
but what holds me back is having to study biology I really hate it and cannot bear it anymore
Is studying a clinical science compatible with hating studying biology? Or is it something other than the subject matter you're not liking?
softhbb
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
Is studying a clinical science compatible with hating studying biology? Or is it something other than the subject matter you're not liking?
Sorry but I don’t think I fully understood your question 😅 I got a little confused
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads