The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Opinions on these universities

So, I've recently been rejected from Leeds to do Law with French Law. I was going to make them my firm choice, however that's no longer an option.
I've also applied to Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull and Lancaster. The course I want to do is Law with French. I've received offers from:
Bangor- 88 UCAS points (including C in French)
Aberystwyth- 112 UCAS points (including B in French)
Hull- 120 UCAS points (their course isn't including French though so I'm not sure about them)
Lancaster are yet to get back to me.

I'm not sure what unis to make my firm and insurance choice now, as I'd have preferred to have visited the campus before deciding. If anyone has been to any of these unis what would you say are the pros and cons? What should I know before deciding?

Edit: I should've added I'm not bothered about size of the uni, I'm more bothered about how good your experience is, or if you've considered one of these why you didn't make it your firm etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bekki S
So, I've recently been rejected from Leeds to do Law with French Law. I was going to make them my firm choice, however that's no longer an option.
I've also applied to Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull and Lancaster. The course I want to do is Law with French. I've received offers from:
Hull- 120 UCAS points (their course isn't including French though so I'm not sure about them)

I'm not sure what unis to make my firm and insurance choice now, as I'd have preferred to have visited the campus before deciding. If anyone has been to any of these unis what would you say are the pros and cons? What should I know before deciding?

Lancaster is the best option.

Bangor and Aber are quite small and Hull is not as good.
Original post by Bekki S

Edit: I should've added I'm not bothered about size of the uni, I'm more bothered about how good your experience is, or if you've considered one of these why you didn't make it your firm etc.

Hi,

Great to hear you have received an offer from us here at Bangor :smile:

If you want to know more or have any questions, please feel free to send a message on here :smile:

You can also chat to students studying the course you are interested in or staff from the school's by following this link:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/unibuddy?ub_medium=product&ub_source=Chat%20Bubble&ub_content=Students%20Button

I actually studied at Bangor myself and loved the whole 3 years :smile:

Sera
Original post by Bekki S

@Bekki S
As a general rule of thumb, I would say that the higher the UCAS tariff the higher the standard of the course - of course this is just a general rule. I've heard good things about all of those Universities. If I had to choose I would go to Lancaster as a few of the others are a bit geographically isolated, so Lancaster might be a more well rounded experience

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I think Lancaster is also the best option. If you end up changing your mind you Can use a UCAS extra.
lancaster is good
its good in terms of graduate prospects and the campus
Lancasters good,. if you havent been round it, there was someone that did a you tube video walkaround. I have put times stamps on the bottom

Trouble with this is that it doesnt tell you whats what, so here are some time stamps:
0.45secs walking onto the north of campus and County Townhouses are on the right hand side. Lica Building is about 1 o'clock
1.40: The left side old looking grey retro building is whats called county main. This is where the superior standards are and also the county tree inside a quad area there.
4.30: is the great hall. This is where you graduate (and currently doing PCR tests there at the moment. daughter got tested today and was negative, happy days)
5.23: I beleive this is one of the county south quads, also english language and linguistics.
6.00: start of the North Spine, a covered walkway which is handy when it rains.
6.22: the new 400 seat lecture theatre thats being built.
6.40 :law schoo, arts and Bowland. quad
7.52: the faraday complex on the left. This has the faraday lecture theatre. Blackwells bookshop on the right
8.05: the physics garden and Physics building.
8.36: to the right- a pathway leading into another Bowland quad.
8.55: Alexandra Square. This has the library, Greggs, Whsmith, Juicafe, Barclays, Santander.The base.
10.20: entering the south spine with the deli coming up on the left, and lusu living on the left.
11.05 this is where some ofthis has changed. Ketcap which was a burger place i beleive. Thats now called Angels which does great food. Under that is Sultans. You also have spa here, the post office, wok inn and also collection point where you get your parcels, and go Burrito and costa.
12.00 this is where you go to the LEC. this is biomedical sciences, zoology etc. to the opposite of LEC is Furness College.
12.30: on the left is Pizzetta republic. and
13.00 Psychology, Stats and Maths and Fylde College. The Mill which is a good bar and do great burgers.
13.50 Engineering
14.37 Management school.
15.23 the black building is the business and i think thats also management too.
16.12 :Grizedale college Ensuite and standard accommodation
16.50: Grizedale bar on the left and the Grizedale Townhouses on the right.
17.30: the brown and white building is pendle college
20.10 InfoLab on the right, Pendle college on the left.
21.54: Pendle rooms the pendle college bar.
22.42 Central another mini mart.
23.00 W2B2 aka Wibbly wobbly burger company. right side is George Fox bulding which is more fylde accommodation. There is also a Chinese takeaway in the george fox Ive seen.
23.55 more of the george fox.
26.00 on the near right building which is brown and blue is Fylde accommodation i think and the far right inthe red and brown buildings are furness? Bowland Tower is behind that.
28.03 is the bonington steps. You cant see it from that angle, but most people sit on them and chat.
31.03 back to Alexandra square
31.10 on the left costa, on the right, steps leading down to the underpass where you catch the bus to town.
33.05 another view of the road leading into the underpass.
34.50 the chaplaincy centre.
37.25 more bowland accommodation, same as 38.40
40.32 on the right the lica building
41.50 back to County College grounds again.

It hasnt covered the rest such as the sports centre, health and innovation campus, or south campus of cartmel, lonsdale or grad college, but it does give a nice little walk around tour .
Original post by Bekki S

Hi @Bekki S

It's great that you have considered Hull as a potential option.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in contact with us! We are Happy to Help :smile:

You can chat with one of our current students studying LLB Law! It's a great opportunity to ask any questions which you may have about the course and their experience - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

I have personally studied at Hull for the last 5 1/2 Years and absolutely loved my experience of studying here.

Hope this helps,

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Original post by Bekki S

My advice would be to hold out. Law with French Law isn't a super popular course. I reckon you'll be able to get any of those (including Leeds) in clearing.
Hope the OP chose Lancaster over Leeds in the end. Lancaster is just better fr

Latest