The Student Room Group

Taking a year out due to anxiety and depression [tw]

I am currently in 2nd year at the University of Sussex and am considering taking a year out due to anxiety and depression.

I am currently succeeding and doing great in my course (averaging a 1st), but I am suffering panic attacks, and have been having suicidal thoughts due to work related stress. I have tried everything to rectify this issue but nothing has worked.

This is my 3rd year of university and am currently in 2nd year because I changed courses which meant that I had to repeat first year. I am currently 21 and taking a year out would mean that i finish university at 23. This is obviously something that i have to think about when considering taking a year out.

The time at which i am deciding to do this is in the middle of exam period, in which i have two essay based exams due in the course of the next 2 weeks. My anxiety has gotten to the point that i cannot actually work on these assignments without suffering from a panic attack. I really feel trapped and just want to get out of this.

I was wondering if this is a good idea? Do you think it would be possible to get my application processed before these exams are due in? What is your experience with applying for a temporary withdrawal? I understand that every university has a different process of approving these applications, but was just wondering if i needed evidence for this application, especially considering the timing?

I just feel like i need to take a year out to deal with these underlying issues, and work on myself as well as build my CV. I do plan on making the most of my time out and really want to come back feeling confident - which i believe will help with my situation.

Thanks for any advice / information you guys provide me with. I hope you are all staying safe, happy and healthy during this time <3
Yh damn i really hope you do take a break and get better.and tbh i think i have deppression and axiety myself.when i go out and theres alot of people my heart starts to beat faster and i just get more uncomfortable,is that normal or social axiety
Yes take an interruption from studies
I was a first year student in 2019/20 but had to take a leave of absence due to anxiety, I was turning 21 when I started. Now I’m half way through my first year and the difference from now to last year is great. I wasn’t completing any of my assignments or attending lectures. This time I’ve kept up with lectures and assignments. I’m studying and actually enjoying the course.

At the time I really didn’t want to take the time out, I was concerned about being “behind” everyone else my age even more so than I was at the time. But really it doesn’t matter, there’s no set time on when we should be achieving things. That’s just the expectations we put on ourselves.

In terms of the application, the student welfare advisor for the department in studying in helped me with it. I arranged a meeting with her and she had already filled in parts of her form and then I only had to put a few details down. I didn’t need any evidence as it was classed as personal reasons. My application was submitted 2 days before I was supposed to take my first exams.

What about accommodation? Are you in uni owned accommodation or commuting? I was in uni owned and they let me leave without having to pay for the rest of the rent. But don’t let this be the only reason you don’t consider a leave, if you have any overpayment from SFE they can help you with ways of paying it back.
Original post by Anonymous
What about accommodation? Are you in uni owned accommodation or commuting? I was in uni owned and they let me leave without having to pay for the rest of the rent. But don’t let this be the only reason you don’t consider a leave, if you have any overpayment from SFE they can help you with ways of paying it back.

If leaving for MH reasons, they'll usually not require you to pay any money for the rent.
Original post by Anonymous
If leaving for MH reasons, they'll usually not require you to pay any money for the rent.

//cancel the contract without any fees

Quick Reply

Latest