LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I wouldn't be surprised if this question has been asked before but would Oxbridge likely accommodate for the fact that GCSE grades are going to be centre assessed this year? I've heard that to get into Oxbridge you ideally need majority A*s at GCSE (unofficially ofc as I know A levels take priority). I am predicted four grade 9s, five grade 8s, two grade 7s and one grade 6 by my teachers - would these give me a viable chance of securing a place at Oxbridge? I know I would have been capable of getting better grades if I had the chance to sit the exam and I assume that the government are going to make the teacher assessed grades policy stricter this year so my predicted grades may change. Do you think Oxbridge will hold them to any significance or understand that they won't be sufficiently reflective of students' ability this year?
Last edited by LoveAmore; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by LoveAmore)
I wouldn't be surprised if this question has been asked before but would Oxbridge likely accommodate for the fact that GCSE grades are going to be centre assessed this year? I've heard that to get into Oxbridge you ideally need majority A*s at GCSE (unofficially ofc as I know A levels take priority). I am predicted four grade 9s, five grade 8s, two grade 7s and one grade 6 by my teachers - would these give me a viable chance of securing a place at Oxbridge? I know I would have been capable of getting better grades if I had the chance to sit the exam and I assume that the government are going to make the teacher assessed grades policy stricter this year so my predicted grades may change. Do you think Oxbridge will hold them to any significance or understand that they won't be sufficiently reflective of students' ability this year?
oxbridge are astonishingly considerate about this sort of thing. i was hesitant to apply to oxbridge as my GCSE's were not perfect: they were mostly 9s and 8s, but i did have a 5 in one of my subjects which i was deeply embarrassed about and thought would derail my application.

however, oxford was considerate enough to note that the bad grade was in maths, and i was applying for english and classics (which is the opposite end of the spectrum), and still considered me and called me to interview.

meanwhile i know a girl who got a clean sweep (all 9s) in her GCSEs and didn't even get called to interview. so the moral of this story is that GCSE results don't call all the shots.
make sure you have other academic things going for you on your personal statement though, to make up for the fact that GCSE results will be taken with a pinch of salt this year.

TL,DR: oxbridge are more considerate than u may think, GCSEs don't define you, and i'm sure they will give u a shot if you are deserving of it and have a kick-ass PS.
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Don't worry, those grades are amazing. I don't even think the average shortlist average is 9 8/9's. For med it's 10 but probably not for anything else. I only got 4 A*s out of 5 subjects and got interviewed last month. Spend your time working on A levels, supercurriculars if possible, admissions test and interviews....instead of worrying which won't help your chances
LoveAmore
Rep:
(Original post by *****deadness)
Don't worry, those grades are amazing. I don't even think the average shortlist average is 9 8/9's. For med it's 10 but probably not for anything else. I only got 4 A*s out of 5 subjects and got interviewed last month. Spend your time working on A levels, supercurriculars if possible, admissions test and interviews....instead of worrying which won't help your chances
(Original post by Anonymous)
oxbridge are astonishingly considerate about this sort of thing. i was hesitant to apply to oxbridge as my GCSE's were not perfect: they were mostly 9s and 8s, but i did have a 5 in one of my subjects which i was deeply embarrassed about and thought would derail my application.

however, oxford was considerate enough to note that the bad grade was in maths, and i was applying for english and classics (which is the opposite end of the spectrum), and still considered me and called me to interview.

meanwhile i know a girl who got a clean sweep (all 9s) in her GCSEs and didn't even get called to interview. so the moral of this story is that GCSE results don't call all the shots.
make sure you have other academic things going for you on your personal statement though, to make up for the fact that GCSE results will be taken with a pinch of salt this year.

TL,DR: oxbridge are more considerate than u may think, GCSEs don't define you, and i'm sure they will give u a shot if you are deserving of it and have a kick-ass PS.
Thanks to both of you for responding
shhhania
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hey! I want to reassure you too that as long as you have the a level requirements they are not that bothered. I've had an interview at Cambridge for Human social and political sciences this year and my GCSEs were not all 9s. I got: three 8s, 7, 6, 5, 5:4, distinction (and a 3 in French but we we forget about that one lol). I have been predicated 2 A*s and an A at a level, from my experience as long as your statement is good too you have just as an equal chance as those that apply with all 9s. I even know people that had all 9s and 8s and didn't even get an interview. They also take into account your background and any factors that could have impacted your grades (like your schools overall results even) Hope this eases your worries Good luck
Last edited by shhhania; 10 months ago
LoveAmore
Rep:
(Original post by shhhania)
Hey! I want to reassure you too that as long as you have the a level requirements they are not that bothered. I've had an interview at Cambridge for Human social and political sciences this year and my GCSEs were not all 9s. I got: three 8s, 7, 6, 5, 5:4, distinction (and a 3 in French but we we forget about that one lol). I have been predicated 2 A*s and an A at a level, from my experience as long as your statement is good too you have just as an equal chance as those that apply with all 9s. I even know people that had all 9s and 8s and didn't even get an interview. They also take into account your background and any factors that could have impacted your grades (like your schools overall results even) Hope this eases your worries Good luck
Thank you, this is very reassuring and good luck with Cambridge
beginningofanera
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by LoveAmore)
Hiya! I didn’t do too great in my GCSE’s comparatively to the Oxbridge competition, I got 88777A6B55C and have had interview for a small humanities course at Cambridge. It’s probably worth noting that I did have some personal reasons behind those grades and I also have extra time in exams at a level whereas this wasn’t the case at gcse. I’m predicted A*A*A for reference, I think Cambridge care far less about GCSEs than oxford so maybe worth applying there if GCSEs are comparatively a weakness in your application?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads