Is it still possible to do well in my a levels?

Watch
Aylinneee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m in year 12 right now and for the first 2 terms at of the year I haven’t been doing enough work. I’ve gotten bad grades which I’ve told is normal for relatively early on in y12, but my tutors have told me the issue was my effort & not my grades and called home to discuss my lack of effort. I know this is fully my own fault and I only have my self to blame for not doing enough work, It just feels like my brain is surrounded by a thick fog that I have to move through to concentrate or even stay awake and I’m not sure why. I just feel too tired all the time, and school feels trivial now even though i’ve wanted to go to uni all my life.
I do want to pick myself up though, I’ve been predicted AAA and I just want to know if it’s still possible for me to get those grades and go to a good uni. I still have over a year left til my a levels so it might be do-able, but this isn’t like GCSE so i’m nervous.
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aylinneee)
I’m in year 12 right now and for the first 2 terms at of the year I haven’t been doing enough work. I’ve gotten bad grades which I’ve told is normal for relatively early on in y12, but my tutors have told me the issue was my effort & not my grades and called home to discuss my lack of effort. I know this is fully my own fault and I only have my self to blame for not doing enough work, It just feels like my brain is surrounded by a thick fog that I have to move through to concentrate or even stay awake and I’m not sure why. I just feel too tired all the time, and school feels trivial now even though i’ve wanted to go to uni all my life.
I do want to pick myself up though, I’ve been predicted AAA and I just want to know if it’s still possible for me to get those grades and go to a good uni. I still have over a year left til my a levels so it might be do-able, but this isn’t like GCSE so i’m nervous.
The guy above sounds ******ed icl dont listen to him, for the whole of yr 12 I did **** all until lockdown happened in March and since last March I’ve done everything I could to raise my grades and now I’m predicted AAA, it’s still possible
anon033
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When you're in year 12, getting your grades up realistically is definitely possible. I obviously don't know where you are in the uk, your tier, whether college is open and all these other factors etc, but you can do this. It's difficult now with covid and motivating yourself, but take it day by day.

Yes, it's normal. A levels are a big step up so adjusting is hard. That's what's expected and lockdown probably didn't help either. Just try and do a few hours of revision/work every day. This can be doing a quizlet, watching a video on a topic then doing exam questions.

I know so many people that did struggled year 12, and year 13 did well. There is always enough time to turn it around. Don't stress too much now, do what you can and don't be too harsh on yourself. Your mental health is important too.
jmadghost
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I totally understand that fog feeling- I was the same- I think it’s due to the pandemic tbh. Anyways yes of course you still go time!!!!!! Just go over the stuff from last term, learn it using text books and make notes. Then this term get stuck in! Keep on top of it- spend Friday evenings just going over what you learnt during the week and you will do well! Good luck
emileeeei
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i have no idea why this thread is such a mess compared to the others, but honestly, you're all good still. Youve only missed two terms of content - make yourself a revision plan, so that you can cover old content whilst keeping up with current content. list every topic you have covered (it'll probs be 2-3 per subject) and spend 2 one hour sessions making notes on each. push yourself inthat one hour - concentrate and work hard, and you'll be caught up and ready to get your As/A*s within a month. you're really not that far into year 12 so you literally have nothing to worry about. what subjects are you doing?
nogoodusersleft
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolutely don't listen to the commenter above me, I don't know why they thought hatred and negativity was required on this post. You can absolutely pick up both your motivation and your grades up, I felt exactly the same in year 12, but I'm in year 13 now and am on track to get the grades I want (providing there isn't a fiasco with CAGs). So many people feel like this, and it's really tough especially in this environment to stay positive or want to do any work at all, but you can definitely do it! Your teachers wouldn't have predicted you those grades if they weren't certain of your capability.
anon033
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emileeeei)
i didnt take it as seriously as i should have tbh, but I'm now predicted 4A*s, so i dont think telling the person whos asked this question that they wont be able to get As at the end is all that constructive
exactly, there's always time to do better. and I'd just like to add that struggling during a global pandemic is normal. Wanting to do well but struggling with your mental health is not your fault.

for people being rude and not helping, lets not assume that they don't take it seriously. OP is reaching out for help, so lets keep this thread about that and not about arguing. They're trying to improve now which is what matters.
CoochieMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ignore some of the responses above, I'm pretty sure they're still in year 11 or younger

I'm in year 13, genuinely put no work in year 12, however when I saw my grades, getting a D in chemistry I decided that lazing around doing jack sh*t wasn't going to do any good to me, so I started to grind properly. Now my predicted are A*A*A*A*, gotten 2 interviews for med school (Imperial and Cambridge) and an offer at St Georges (Bio med)

You need to find the best way to study that suits you, for me it was taking frequent breaks (I have ADHD so it was necessary) and using mindmaps. Other people like the Pomodoro technique, it personally doesn't work too well for me, but you need to experiment and find what suits you

It's always best to start late than never remember that!!

Good luck if you need any help I'm here
emileeeei
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anon033)
exactly, there's always time to do better. and I'd just like to add that struggling during a global pandemic is normal. Wanting to do well but struggling with your mental health is not your fault.

for people being rude and not helping, lets not assume that they don't take it seriously. OP is reaching out for help, so lets keep this thread about that and not about arguing. They're trying to improve now which is what matters.
100% second this
emileeeei
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jnmmkldklskdsld)
im very chill, ive smashed my A levels with A*A*A*A*. I am oh so chilled. im simply informing the threadmaker who is asking the internet for an enquiry and you called a me a hoe? you reek of hypocrisy as well as curry. take a shower and hop off the internet. im facing second-hand embarrassment for you.
holy **** this is not okay
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
im very chill, ive smashed my A levels with A*A*A*A*. I am oh so chilled. im simply informing the threadmaker who is asking the internet for an enquiry and you called a me a hoe? you reek of hypocrisy as well as curry. take a shower and hop off the internet. im facing second-hand embarrassment for you.
Oh they keyboard spam username with 4A*s?
Oh the 6 post account with 4A*s?
The racist person with 4A*s?
Please don't make me laugh :rofl:
Stop the cap
ionacrx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is possible! First and for most you need to get down to the reason as to why you are feeling the way you do, sometimes there could be an underlying issue, speaking to someone such as head of year, family, friends or even councillors about your moods and motivation can help. I’ve already been in the position you’re in now, I had mental health issues throughout school and sixthform but here I am at uni in my second year. It’s good that you’ve recognised your weakness, but from this it will be a good idea to try and push yourself, I always believe that small steps lead to big goals. You can do this, you just need a little help.

Also, it’s important to note that during this pandemic, there will be plenty of others in the same boat as you right now so please don’t get down on yourself. Just make sure that you take mock exams as seriously as you would the final ones, because that’s what your uni will see before your actual grades x
Aylinneee
Rep:
?
I understood at first that your initial reply was trying to come from a realistic point of view which is what I asked for but the amount of negativity towards me & others on this thread is just unnecessary at this point. Your blatant racism is disgusting so I’m assuming you’re a sick troll stuck in 2016 or something and you find this funny, if you’re going to offer something that’s a realistic fact in your opinion do that and don’t make stupid prejudiced comments. As for comparing A Levels to GCSE I obviously know that A levels are a lot more difficult and went into them knowing that, but try to bare in mind that GCSEs are all I know. I can appreciate an honest harsh opinion but you sound more angry than anything. Your initial response was extremely anxiety inducing not because of the blunt or realistic opinions but more because of your hateful tone, but i’m so glad that the other people on this thread offered their opinions and advice.
Aylinneee
Rep:
?
(Original post by hustlr)
The guy above sounds ******ed icl dont listen to him, for the whole of yr 12 I did **** all until lockdown happened in March and since last March I’ve done everything I could to raise my grades and now I’m predicted AAA, it’s still possible
Thank you so much I can’t explain how reassuring this was after reading that other persons reply and congratulations on your improvement that’s amazing!
stanmcrthots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by raja12)
u absolute h o e. I fail to believe that ur an actual person and are just too insecure about ur life, that your here trying to make other peoples lives miserable. One thing i can say is that u didnt achieve those grades. A person of that intelligence wouldnt be here trying to say that a person cant do something. Not only that but u racist s hit.. Send me ur insta or snap we will talk it out properly. Then we will see who smells of curry and who needs to take a shower
tell em raja12
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stanmcrthots)
tell em raja12
yes yes
stanmcrthots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much I can’t explain how reassuring this was after reading that other persons reply and congratulations on your improvement that’s amazing!
Ignore that other persons reply lmfao. Even if they got all A*s, he/she is still one of the biggest failures on planet earth if they have to waste their time bullying/trolling others on the internet. Imagine some musty, snot faced, yellow teeth, yellow nailed brat that reminded teachers of hw every 5 seconds and cried over getting 99%s to get over their discouraging, useless words.
Aylinneee
Rep:
?
(Original post by ionacrx)
It is possible! First and for most you need to get down to the reason as to why you are feeling the way you do, sometimes there could be an underlying issue, speaking to someone such as head of year, family, friends or even councillors about your moods and motivation can help. I’ve already been in the position you’re in now, I had mental health issues throughout school and sixthform but here I am at uni in my second year. It’s good that you’ve recognised your weakness, but from this it will be a good idea to try and push yourself, I always believe that small steps lead to big goals. You can do this, you just need a little help.

Also, it’s important to note that during this pandemic, there will be plenty of others in the same boat as you right now so please don’t get down on yourself. Just make sure that you take mock exams as seriously as you would the final ones, because that’s what your uni will see before your actual grades x
Thank you for the advice! You’re right about talking to someone, I think it would definitely be very helpful but with schools shut & a family who isn’t very understanding of mental health issues I always end up making posts like this when I start to feel anxious or upset. The fact that you made it to uni despite struggling is amazing & definitely gives me a lot of hope for my own future.
Aylinneee
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmadghost)
I totally understand that fog feeling- I was the same- I think it’s due to the pandemic tbh. Anyways yes of course you still go time!!!!!! Just go over the stuff from last term, learn it using text books and make notes. Then this term get stuck in! Keep on top of it- spend Friday evenings just going over what you learnt during the week and you will do well! Good luck
Helps so much to know it’s not just me, it feels impossible to concentrate on anything or find motivation to get up in the morning let alone revise. Thanks for the revision tips
ManU2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
too late lmao. if u did not start hard from day 1 the chances of success narrow day by day. you have left this very late indeed, u asked for a heap of stress. ur studies will be rushed, concepts take longer to understand and are harder than GCSEs so no point bringing that up for comparisons. whilst ur spending time to catch up from the terms of previous work you are missing on the work you should have been smashing out rn. think of it as getting chased by a lion, you slowed down so now the lion is about to tear you apart. the lion is your a levels. even being behind one day of a levels of detrimental but you are like 2 terms behind lmaoo no chance. u can try to catch up but like i said it will just be rushed and messy aka a waste of time. so the answer to your question is yes, way too late.
I really hope that this is sarcasm lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads