Completing The Square in Form (2x - a)^2 - b

Watch
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! I've got a level three algebra exam tomorrow and was doing some practice papers when I stumbled across a completing the square question (for the function 4x^2 - 28x) that asks you to factorise in the form (2x - a)^2 - b

I know how to deal with a coefficient of x^2 that is larger than one normally (factorise it out) but not sure when I'm being asked for the 2x inside the brackets.

I can see how you work this out with a clumsy method of finding a number that when multiplied by 2x and then multiplied by 2 gives -28x (which would be -7) and then finding that (-7)^2 = 49 so you need to take this away to give

(2x - 7)^2 - 49

but is there a more logical way to do this? Thank you!!
3pointonefour
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You could expand (2x-a)²-b and then compare coefficients for a more algebraically grounded way of doing things
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Hi! I've got a level three algebra exam tomorrow and was doing some practice papers when I stumbled across a completing the square question (for the function 4x^2 - 28x) that asks you to factorise in the form (2x - a)^2 - b

I know how to deal with a coefficient of x^2 that is larger than one normally (factorise it out) but not sure when I'm being asked for the 2x inside the brackets.

I can see how you work this out with a clumsy method of finding a number that when multiplied by 2x and then multiplied by 2 gives -28x (which would be -7) and then finding that (-7)^2 = 49 so you need to take this away to give

(2x - 7)^2 - 49

but is there a more logical way to do this? Thank you!!
As well as the previous good idea, do what you've been doing
4(x^2 - 7x)
= 2^2*(x - 7/2)^2 - ...
= (2x - 7)^2 - ...
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
You could expand (2x-a)²-b and then compare coefficients for a more algebraically grounded way of doing things
Ah that's brilliant thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.22%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (134)
59.56%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.22%

Watched Threads