The Student Room Group

Apple Watch

Are Apple watches worth the money?
Original post by Ellie121

Honestly, probably not, but it depends on your situation. I have an older refurbished apple watch and I use it a lot, but only because my school doesn’t allow phones. I pretty much only use it for: checking the time; checking my timetable; fiddling with because I’m bored. Not the best use of £300-£400. I appreciate that it is useful for doing things quickly on the go, but that’s kinda why we have smartphones. Plus there are other, wayyyy cheaper smartwatches. So, yeah, probably not.

That's a very subjective question. For people with iPhones who want a smartwatch, they are hands down the best option. For people with no interest in smartwatch functionality, they're overpriced watches with a stopwatch for how long they're going to be worth using for.
Reply 3
Original post by turquoisekoala
Honestly, probably not, but it depends on your situation. I have an older refurbished apple watch and I use it a lot, but only because my school doesn’t allow phones. I pretty much only use it for: checking the time; checking my timetable; fiddling with because I’m bored. Not the best use of £300-£400. I appreciate that it is useful for doing things quickly on the go, but that’s kinda why we have smartphones. Plus there are other, wayyyy cheaper smartwatches. So, yeah, probably not.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and insight. The main reason I wanted to buy one was for the fitness/tracking aspect of the watch, but I’m not sure whether I can justify the cost of the watch for that singular use or even how accurate the watch is.
Reply 4
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. As someone who has never had a smart watch or had the desire to own one, it’s interesting to see other peoples’ perspectives. I mainly wanted the watch for the fitness/tracking aspect, but I’m not sure whether I can justify the cost for that and whether it’s actually useful in itself.
Reply 5

In my opinion, if you're looking to get an Apple Watch then look at getting a series 3 for £200 or perhaps a refurbished/ used one for cheaper. Paying an extra £100-200 for the series 5 and 6 doesn't bring much advantage for the typical user and it's unlikely you'll need or ever use the extra features. A series 3 or even series 2 will still be good for tracking your fitness as it has everything you need and you can download apps also.
I have a series 3 which I bought for fitness tracking and love it. Don’t think it’s worth the extra couple hundred for the newer series though. I’ve had fitbits before but prefer my Apple Watch. It’s nice that it’s syncs easily with my phone and laptop.
I've had my apple watch series 1 for 3 and a half years now and I still find it works great and is very useful. It's got some basic fitness tracking as it's the first model (I presume newer ones have better tracking options) but still works fine and it's great that it links to my iPhone's fitness app, makes everything really easy to track. I like that my messages come through on the watch, and it will tell me if I have a phone call, which I wouldn't know if my phone was in my bag. It's great being able to see the time when it's dark as a normal watch can't do that haha.

Quick Reply

Latest