The Student Room Group

Learning to drive as a uni student

Hiya,
So I’m an estranged student and was wondering if it would be worth the while learning to drive and getting a car while at uni? I’m in my second year doing a teaching degree. Cars are expensive and all that comes with it too, I am trying to get a job but most jobs (in the field of healthcare) require a full UK driving license that I’ve applied to.

I can understand that it can be easier/cheaper to use public transport and such, however I feel that a car may be useful when it comes to placements, to work (if I can get one) and just everyday essentials such as supermarkets.

Uni halls is basically my home, and my main income is essentially SFE at the moment. What would you suggest I do regarding a car?

Huge thank you in advance!x
Reply 1
Original post by ionacrx
Hiya,
So I’m an estranged student and was wondering if it would be worth the while learning to drive and getting a car while at uni? I’m in my second year doing a teaching degree. Cars are expensive and all that comes with it too, I am trying to get a job but most jobs (in the field of healthcare) require a full UK driving license that I’ve applied to.

I can understand that it can be easier/cheaper to use public transport and such, however I feel that a car may be useful when it comes to placements, to work (if I can get one) and just everyday essentials such as supermarkets.

Uni halls is basically my home, and my main income is essentially SFE at the moment. What would you suggest I do regarding a car?

It tends to be easier to learn new skills when you're younger.

That said, there are a lot of costs involved. First off, there's the cost of lessons, and sitting theory and practical tests. Then, once you've passed, there's the cost of buying a car. Then the cost of running the car -- tax, insurance, MOT, servicing, fuel, ongoing maintenance, etc. Will you have somewhere to park a car? If you're in university accommodation, can you get a parking permit (and how much will that cost)? Or will you have to rely on on-street parking (is that free, or would you need a permit)?

In your position, I would certainly look at lessons and aiming to pass my test if it was financially viable. Once you've got your licence, you can then assess whether or not you can afford to buy and run a car. Even if you can't, you still have the licence.
Reply 2
I could I get a parking permit for the year at my uni halls which about £100 a year I think, which isn’t too bad. Thank you for that, I guess once having the license I can save up for a decent second hand that will last me a good few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending