username5587244
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
How to fit in uni if I don’t drink and smoke? Plus I rarely go clubbing. Would I miss out on a lot?
Anisa13400
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AM°)
How to fit in uni if I don’t drink and smoke? Plus I rarely go clubbing. Would I miss out on a lot?
You don't have to drink or smoke to fit in! I know that Uni culture is mainly focused on 'going out' but with the pandemic, I doubt people will be clubbing anyway? My advice is to just be yourself, most people don't really care what you do and don't do as long as you're a nice person. In my first year, my housemates and I did stuff like baking, watching I'm a celeb, movie nights, going to the gym, cooking together, going for walks or shopping, etc. So tbh, I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck and have fun
username5587244
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Anisa13400)
You don't have to drink or smoke to fit in! I know that Uni culture is mainly focused on 'going out' but with the pandemic, I doubt people will be clubbing anyway? My advice is to just be yourself, most people don't really care what you do and don't do as long as you're a nice person. In my first year, my housemates and I did stuff like baking, watching I'm a celeb, movie nights, going to the gym, cooking together, going for walks or shopping, etc. So tbh, I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck and have fun
Thank you! This is exactly the company I’m trying to look for. Love going out for a coffee and long walks.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AM°)
I think the important thing is to try to find friends who don't want to go clubbing and drinking all the time. Be prepared to explain your reasons for not drinking every time you meet new people (and yes, it'll get old after a while). If you don't enjoy clubbing/drinking/smoking etc., then you won't be missing out because you don't like those things in the first place!
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AM°)
Hey

I am in my second year and have done both years completely sober! I don't feel like I have missed out on anything, other than a lot of hangovers. I found it helped to make friends going out clubbing during freshers week but after that I often skipped the nights out. I just made sure to plan other activities with my friends, plenty of movie nights, waffle parties and games nights for example. I never felt like I missed out and never felt pressure to drink. Reading student union also makes a point of having non-alcohol events and ensuring that societies do the same.
Be reassured university is less about drinking than everyone makes it out to be, it is prevalent yes but definitely not the only way to fit in or have fun.

I hope this helps! You won't be the only one I am sure.

Zoe
Second year Biological Sciences and Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.19%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.73%
I need help with my personal statement (63)
42.57%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.32%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.76%

Watched Threads