The Student Room Group

Should my parents take my phone at 17?

So this has been an ongoing thing for about a year about my parents thinking having instagram is wrong, and that me wanting to have social media is bizarre. Im 17, and still live at home, and my parents seem to think that I am still a 12 year old girl who has no concept of the real world. I was never allowed social media as a young teen, and so decided at 16 to get it for myself. They found these accounts along with the boyfriend I had. I was made to break up with him the instant they found out and they made me delete all accounts. I decided after i turned 17 that I would get instagram again, and in 8 weeks got over 1000 followers. I didnt have a boyfriend but I was getting a lot of attention from boys, and when my parents found this account they thought that i was stringing all these guys along and forcing them to like me, when I was just being friendly. They have taken away my phone and changed the password on my instagram so I cant have access to it anymore. Is this okay!! Because my parents keep telling me I need to grow up but how can I when they keep on treating me like a child. How can I approach this with my parents?

Scroll to see replies

It's ridiculous but if they paid for the phone and all I suppose they could (really nastily) take it away. Wait till you're 18 and show them you don't like being pushed around
Original post by loopyloulou
So this has been an ongoing thing for about a year about my parents thinking having instagram is wrong, and that me wanting to have social media is bizarre. Im 17, and still live at home, and my parents seem to think that I am still a 12 year old girl who has no concept of the real world. I was never allowed social media as a young teen, and so decided at 16 to get it for myself. They found these accounts along with the boyfriend I had. I was made to break up with him the instant they found out and they made me delete all accounts. I decided after i turned 17 that I would get instagram again, and in 8 weeks got over 1000 followers. I didnt have a boyfriend but I was getting a lot of attention from boys, and when my parents found this account they thought that i was stringing all these guys along and forcing them to like me, when I was just being friendly. They have taken away my phone and changed the password on my instagram so I cant have access to it anymore. Is this okay!! Because my parents keep telling me I need to grow up but how can I when they keep on treating me like a child. How can I approach this with my parents?

sounds like they're overeacting, I suggest just trying to reason with them and explain that you want to be more independent
Reply 3
Original post by *****deadness
It's ridiculous but if they paid for the phone and all I suppose they could (really nastily) take it away. Wait till you're 18 and show them you don't like being pushed around

I pay for the phone so they legally cant take it but my dad seems to think its my house my rules
I pay for the phone so they legally cant take it but my dad seems to think its my house my rules

Then you have every right to hold onto it and everything, depending on how far you want to take it. You should probably plan on moving out in any case
Reply 5
They read through my messages and seem to think they have every right in knowing what Im talking to my friends about. I suffer highly with my confidence and they make it worse by not letting me talk to my friends. During the first lockdown (i live in the UK) I didnt have a phone for 6 months because they were scared I would start talking to my ex boyfriend again
Reply 6
Original post by *****deadness
Then you have every right to hold onto it and everything, depending on how far you want to take it. You should probably plan on moving out in any case

I want to but I dont want to leave them either. I love them but its just too much
Reply 7
I have to leave it downstairs in my utility room and I cant have it while im doing school work. Like Im 18 in 6 months, I need to have my own life. I have deferred my uni place because I dont want to go when we cant actually be in the uni, and even when I do im staying at home. My ex boyfriend, who I am still talking too romantically, has offered for me to stay with him but I dont know whether that will do more damage than good
Reply 8
Original post by nikkiblonsky
sounds like they're overeacting, I suggest just trying to reason with them and explain that you want to be more independent

Believe me I have tried reasoning with them but it always ends in my dad yelling. At the moment he thinks I have a "secret" device so he spent 3 hours hunting through my room trying to find it
They might have real genuine concern, are you a vulnerable person in some way? Are you very pretty and get preyed upon by guys a lot? (1000 followers in that amount of time could be a lot depending on how it occurred). There are likely a lot of guys on there just wanting to hook up with girls for sex and not care about her, i.e emotionally, pregnancy, STD's, and will just move on, or guys that will harrass women and try to control them by being mean and abusive.

Other that do you come from a religious background, Muslim, etc? That's often comes with a lot of control from parents though may not be a bad thing if they are looking out for you.

If none of that applies them possibly you might have parents that struggle to let go of the child rearing phase as its territory they gave become accustomed to. They may just be genuinely concerned and protective but don't realise that by not allowing you exposure to any risks that could have a negative impact also in you not learning to be street smart and experiencing life as other people do even if it is at some times negative. That said there are some real psychos out there and they try and dominate others without their consent and can be a nightmare getting them to f*ck the hell off and I say that as a guy from stuff I've seen happen to other people.
Original post by Gavin2016
They might have real genuine concern, are you a vulnerable person in some way? Are you very pretty and get preyed upon by guys a lot? (1000 followers in that amount of time could be a lot depending on how it occurred). There are likely a lot of guys on there just wanting to hook up with girls for sex and not care about her, i.e emotionally, pregnancy, STD's, and will just move on, or guys that will harrass women and try to control them by being mean and abusive.

Other that do you come from a religious background, Muslim, etc? That's often comes with a lot of control from parents though may not be a bad thing if they are looking out for you.

If none of that applies them possibly you might have parents that struggle to let go of the child rearing phase as its territory they gave become accustomed to. They may just be genuinely concerned and protective but don't realise that by not allowing you exposure to any risks that could have a negative impact also in you not learning to be street smart and experiencing life as other people do even if it is at some times negative. That said there are some real psychos out there and they try and dominate others without their consent and can be a nightmare getting them to f*ck the hell off and I say that as a guy from stuff I've seen happen to other people.

I have been bought up from a rich background. My dad is very, very wealthy and believes money is power, and uses it to shelter me. I went to private secondary school which sheltered me a lot from the outside world, but I go to a public sixth form where I have truly grown up and become more aware of my surroundings. A lot of my followers are younger girls who are looking for a role model because I tend to post things on how to be more confident in yourself. I am a plus sized girl and although I consider myself to be pretty, I have had a lot of backlash, so use my instagram to promote self love and self care. I have a few guys on there that I go to college with but none of them have tried anything because they know I am talking to someone.

I get that my parents are worried about me but I need to start living my life the way I want to live it. They need to let me go at some point. I mean my dad has said im not allowed a boyfriend till im 25, and not allowed to have kids till im 30 and they seem to think that i need to be sheltered
The poor 13 yr old lad that got stabbed recently was as a result of another 13 yr old essentially putting out a hit on him via Instagram. Social media can have a very dark side for young people. That said, by 17 you should be allowed a bit more freedom although having a secret boyfriend at 16 doesn't necessarily give them confidence.
Original post by Anonymous
The poor 13 yr old lad that got stabbed recently was as a result of another 13 yr old essentially putting out a hit on him via Instagram. Social media can have a very dark side for young people. That said, by 17 you should be allowed a bit more freedom although having a secret boyfriend at 16 doesn't necessarily give them confidence.

It wasnt a secret boyfriend, they knew that I was with him, but they didnt like the fact that we spoke all the time and that we told each other that we loved each other and that we were literally attached to each other. I had told him things that not even they knew about my mental state and how I felt and they thought I was lying to him about it all.

And I agree social media can be such a dark place, and unfortunately that child will never be bought back because of his girlfriends selfishness.
Have you spoken to them about how you feel? They aren’t being consistent or fair and you’re almost an adult. Being really strict only makes the child rebel more and it destroys the relationship.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YaliaV123
Have you spoken to them about how you feel? They aren’t being consistent or fair and you’re almost an adult. Being really strict only makes the child rebel more and it destroys the relationship.

I have tried to sit down and talk to them but they dont believe that I need to have instagram and need to have my phone. The reason I have instagram in the first place is because I am rebeling against them because they have never let me have it before. I tell them that I use it to contact my friends and also to promote self love and self confidence and show young girls that it doesnt matter what you look like you are beautiful. But they dont understand it
I have tried to sit down and talk to them but they dont believe that I need to have instagram and need to have my phone. The reason I have instagram in the first place is because I am rebeling against them because they have never let me have it before. I tell them that I use it to contact my friends and also to promote self love and self confidence and show young girls that it doesnt matter what you look like you are beautiful. But they dont understand it

What are you planning to do in the future? They can’t really do anything once you move out.
What are you planning to do in the future? They can’t really do anything once you move out.

Within the next year or two Im going to university to study medicine, but I dont know where yet. They want me to stay at home so that they can keep an eye on me but I dont know if I want to anymore
Within the next year or two Im going to university to study medicine, but I dont know where yet. They want me to stay at home so that they can keep an eye on me but I dont know if I want to anymore

Do you think they would let you move out? I definitely wouldn’t stay at home while they’re acting like that. They don’t realise that they’re pushing you away and that’s sad.
Do you think they would let you move out? I definitely wouldn’t stay at home while they’re acting like that. They don’t realise that they’re pushing you away and that’s sad.

I dont know if they would let me move out. I almost did a year ago to move in with my then boyfriend because I had had enough of them not letting me live my life. Its not even my mum to be honest, she just wants me to be safe no matter what I do. But my dad has been able to hack into my phone and my laptop and even my smart watch to try and see what I am doing. My dad has been pushing me away for years and I dont know why.

I was even writing a novel and he went through my draws, read the book, then ripped it up because apparently I should stop living in a fantasy world
I have been bought up from a rich background. My dad is very, very wealthy and believes money is power, and uses it to shelter me. I went to private secondary school which sheltered me a lot from the outside world, but I go to a public sixth form where I have truly grown up and become more aware of my surroundings. A lot of my followers are younger girls who are looking for a role model because I tend to post things on how to be more confident in yourself. I am a plus sized girl and although I consider myself to be pretty, I have had a lot of backlash, so use my instagram to promote self love and self care. I have a few guys on there that I go to college with but none of them have tried anything because they know I am talking to someone.

I get that my parents are worried about me but I need to start living my life the way I want to live it. They need to let me go at some point. I mean my dad has said im not allowed a boyfriend till im 25, and not allowed to have kids till im 30 and they seem to think that i need to be sheltered

Ah, well it helps a lot having some background about you, I tend to find a lot of posters come on here with a short paragraph about their problem and give no background context about themseleves, so for forum members it can end up a bit of a shot in the dark.

Personally I would say that for you to hold off on dating till your 25 isn't a good idea. Most people hahve the best opportunity and largest pool of people to choose from when they are young, late teens & early twenties. Mid twenties aren't too bad but the pool of people will start dwindling by then. To be honest with you being overweight might make it harder, there are overweight women that facially can still look quite pretty but there tends to be not that many men that are attracted to overweight women. If you are from a rich backround then there is also the risk of men gettting with you just for the money and they might be difficult to tell. I'm not sure why your parents have chosen 25 as a time to start dating, perhaps they think that the more serious men might be left by then, I would ask them on that if you haven't already without getting into an argument over it. Personally I would go to uni halls if you don't see the same way as your parents as otherwise your going to have them hindering your life till your 21 at least and probably thereafter. I would ask them though on why they think the way they do for you as they may have some genuine reasons behind it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending