Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i hav'nt seen it but maybe its worth watching the whole ep before deciding if its for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wottabout)
    A friend of mine recommended One Piece to me a while back. She generally has good taste with these kinds of things, but I could never get through a whole episode because it just seemed so awful. Mostly, I didn't like the animation style, but I didn't like the characters or the plotline much either. Maybe it's just because I need to get more into it, but I never can. Yesterday, I decided that I'd finally watch a whole episode, but I had to stop after five minutes. So my question is: Is this a series that is really great and I just need to watch more to like it, or should I not waste my time watching something that I'll hate?
    I went through the same thing. When I first saw one piece I was a bit iffy on the animation, but after watching it for a bit I began to pick up the plot and actually enjoy watching it. There is a huge part of the storyline that is not revolving around comedy, as some of the episodes do.

ReputationRep:
    getting nearer to the end of the fillers
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by wottabout)
    A friend of mine recommended One Piece to me a while back. She generally has good taste with these kinds of things, but I could never get through a whole episode because it just seemed so awful. Mostly, I didn't like the animation style, but I didn't like the characters or the plotline much either. Maybe it's just because I need to get more into it, but I never can. Yesterday, I decided that I'd finally watch a whole episode, but I had to stop after five minutes. So my question is: Is this a series that is really great and I just need to watch more to like it, or should I not waste my time watching something that I'll hate?
    I wasn't overly impressed by the first episode of Gankutsuou, or the first episode of Mai HiME. Considering that they are now among my fave anime, I'd certainly advise you to at least give One Piece a chance. The worst thing that could happen is that you spend 25 minutes watching something you found awful.
    Well, there's always the possibility that it could leave you mentally scarred for life, but the same could be said about most of the things I recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I wasn't overly impressed by the first episode of Gankutsuou, or the first episode of Mai HiME. Considering that they are now among my fave anime, I'd certainly advise you to at least give One Piece a chance. The worst thing that could happen is that you spend 25 minutes watching something you found awful.
    Well, there's always the possibility that it could leave you mentally scarred for life, but the same could be said about most of the things I recommend.
    I have always found that in most cases, even the best anime series doesn't have amazing first episodes, especially when considering later episodes. I would say watch the first 10 episodes of a series, since that is usually when it starts to get better, then decide whether you like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I have always found that in most cases, even the best anime series doesn't have amazing first episodes, especially when considering later episodes. I would say watch the first 10 episodes of a series, since that is usually when it starts to get better, then decide whether you like it.
    Alright, I'll give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    eep iv just spent the afternoon watching a ton of naruto:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I am a 19 year old girl and recently I tried to return to watching sailor moon (I loved it when I was 13 and there were several series I hadn't seen so I tried to watch them on youtube). However, I now find it absolutely mind-numbing, every episode is the same, there are no deep storylines and well...I was disappointed. Can anyone recommend an anime series that I could watch that is kind of like sailor moon (ie. very girly) but is aimed at older girls? I have already seen the tenchi series and sailor moon.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Snarf)
    I am a 19 year old girl and recently I tried to return to watching sailor moon (I loved it when I was 13 and there were several series I hadn't seen so I tried to watch them on youtube). However, I now find it absolutely mind-numbing, every episode is the same, there are no deep storylines and well...I was disappointed. Can anyone recommend an anime series that I could watch that is kind of like sailor moon (ie. very girly) but is aimed at older girls? I have already seen the tenchi series and sailor moon.
    Not really my genre I'm afraid, I can't recommend anything myself. But I've looked up Sailor Moon one one of my fave anime websites and apparently a lot of people who watched that also watched Fruits Basket. I hope that helps, and if not I'm sure someone else will reply soon

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks angryjellyfish, I'll investigate that. Keep any additional suggestions coming though! Actually, I suppose I'd be open to different genres, they don't all have to be like sailor moon. I've only ever seen pokemon, digimon, sailor moon and tenchi. That's the only anime I've ever watched so if there's ANYTHING else that anyone could recommend that's reasonably intellectually stimulating and quite funny then I'd like that. Remember, I'm a 19 year old girl.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Snarf)
    Oh thanks angryjellyfish, I'll investigate that. Keep any additional suggestions coming though! Actually, I suppose I'd be open to different genres, they don't all have to be like sailor moon. I've only ever seen pokemon, digimon, sailor moon and tenchi. That's the only anime I've ever watched so if there's ANYTHING else that anyone could recommend that's reasonably intellectually stimulating and quite funny then I'd like that. Remember, I'm a 19 year old girl.
    Well, I'd say that xxxHOLiC falls into the intellectually stimulating funny category, and it's pretty much suitable for all. It goes into fortune telling / spirits / superstitions and similar things, I don't know whether that would interest you but I quite liked it.

Pretty much every other anime I've watched have been either funny but complete nonsense, or have too much fanservice :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snarf)
    You could always go with something like Love Hina.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You could always go with something like Love Hina.
    I avoided recommending Love Hina as I thought it had too much fanservice, especially compaired to the other series mentioned by Snarf. But it is funny, the manga is better IMO but that has even more fanservice than the anime.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys, those two animes look awesome! Do you know what I've also found on youtube? Honey and clover, it's pretty cool, I've only seen one episode but it's about these students at a Japanese art college. It's interesting and has good music/animation style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snarf)
    how about mai hime and mai otome? those are quite girly and good serieseseses
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    how about mai hime and mai otome? those are quite girly and good serieseseses
    I agree there, but again they have a lot of fanservice. But if you like that or don't care about it then it's definitley worth checking out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I agree there, but again they have a lot of fanservice. But if you like that or don't care about it then it's definitley worth checking out.
    oh yeah that:s:

ReputationRep:
    :eek::eek2::eek3::eek4:
    ep 118 of bleach was really good and the animation has improved alot too

ReputationRep:
    not seen that ep of bleach, forgot to start it downloading before i went to my lecture, finally started watching Naruto, currently on episode 11(long journey ahead of me)

for anyone that wants recommendations, i suggest Mushishi, not the most humerous anime but intellectually stimulating and fanstastic stories
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Okay, it seems I've reached the same scenario as I did this time last year... I've either completed or near completed all the manga series I'm collecting, with the exception of two which are still ongoing and I have the latest translated volumes. So I'll be wanting to start a new series soon :hmmmm2:

Could someone recommend me a manga, preferably a completed or near-completed series so I don't have to wait on new volumes. Also, preferably less than 10 volumes, but I'll consider a slightly longer series if it sounds good.

Series I already have include Love Hina, Chobits, Negima, A.I. Love You, Tsubasa, DearS and several of the .hack series; but I'll consider any genre as long as it's fairly funny or has a good storyline (or both).

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.