This discussion is closed.
Sum1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
been absent for a while

im back though

bleach manga this week, will announce a new movie to be released at end of the year
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, I've managed to get hold of a computer and as I promised I shall be reviewing an anime series .Today it shall be REC. If this review is terrible, bear in mind that this is my first time doing one from the top of my head, I usually copy what it says on Wiki or other sites :p: Also, bear in mind that I got a 'C' in English language and a 'D' in literature at GCSE :proud:

Okay, so REC. A short anime in two ways; it is only 9 episodes long (10 if you count the OVA special episode, which is set between episodes 8 and 9), and as well as that each episode is only about 10 minutes long. Each episode is named after a film starring the actress Audrey Hepburn, who is the idol of one of the main characters. Each episode also has a quote from that film, but you don't have to have seen any of them to appreciate this series.

It is a romantic comedy; the main characters are Fumihiko Matsumaru, a 26 year old salaryman who works in the marketing department of a snack company, and Aka Onda who is a 20 year old seiyu (voice actress). Aka ends up living with Matsumaru after her apartment burns down, despite the fact that they only met earlier that evening, because she has nowhere else to stay. Then the next day, Matsumaru's first marketing concept is accepted as the mascot of a new snack, and Aka is chosen as the voice actress for this mascot. The two decide to keep their relationship a secret from their employers, and the main focus of the anime is on their developing relationship.

Personally, I quite liked this series. The comedy was good in places, and if you like the romance genre I would highly recommend it. However, I think it ended a bit abruptly, possibly they only ended it there because they had run out of Audrey Hepburn films to quote? :rofl: . I give it an 8/10, the only let down being the ending.
EarthQuaker
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hmm..i wonder if a newbie will be allowed to be a part of this scociety? :Wink:

I have loved anime since i was a teeny ie. SAILOR MOON! lol those were the days
and of course my trip to japan was the icing on the cake.

Has anyone seen the new [well newish] version of the powerpuff girls but anime?
Its called Demash ita! Powerpuff girls Z and its actually really good haha.
They've changed some of the concepts of the original PPG story though.
Sum1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ive heard of it.... watched the 1st episode....didnt bother watching more

im more into bleach, naruto, death note, DB/Z, inuyasha, eyeshield 21..
EarthQuaker
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ahh, might be my childhood of watching cartoon network coming back to me then haha

ohh yeah my brothers a big fan of inuyasha.
Iv bought a couple of the naruto mangas, actually but not read them yet, im hoping to after my exams

Anyone heard of maison ikkoku? It's from like the late 80s
Kerri-Ann
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sum1)
ive heard of it.... watched the 1st episode....didnt bother watching more

im more into bleach, naruto, death note, DB/Z, inuyasha, eyeshield 21..
im obsessed with death note. not seen all of it though.
someone spoilt it for me about L. i was well gutted lol.
Sum1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
DN is kickass....got bored of the anime...so i read the entire manga

dont worry i wont spoil you
Kerri-Ann
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sum1)
DN is kickass....got bored of the anime...so i read the entire manga

dont worry i wont spoil you
hahah thanks
how many manga books are there in the series?
ive only read 4!
Devil Kanga
Report 11 years ago
Okay, here's a long story and please give me an answer, none of this "find out for yourself" or I'll spend all my money getting the manga... = NOT GOOD!

To all death note fans:
Spoiler:
Show
Is L gay? As I saw a little clip thing online and L and Light were kissing... is that just something stupid someone put together or do they end up kissing = both gay? Or is Light using the gay L to get what he wants? Please tell me or some aof my savings will disappear.
Kerri-Ann
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Devil Kanga)
Okay, here's a long story and please give me an answer, none of this "find out for yourself" or I'll spend all my money getting the manga... = NOT GOOD!

To all death note fans:
Spoiler:
Show
Is L gay? As I saw a little clip thing online and L and Light were kissing... is that just something stupid someone put together or do they end up kissing = both gay? Or is Light using the gay L to get what he wants? Please tell me or some aof my savings will disappear.
you sure it wasn't a fan made thing?
Devil Kanga
Report 11 years ago
I don't know, it might have been, but I quickly clicked off of it... I hope it's not true. The graphics seemed genuine, but they might have been good drawers, I don't know...
Sum1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i watched onegai teacher (please teacher) and onegai twins (please twins) over the weekend

they arent hentai....even though the name may imply it

id recommend teacher to you guys .....twins is a spin off of the teacher one...with basically new characters added and the main characters of teacher cast as very minor characters.

each are only 12 episodes long + 1 ova (13)

plot - Onegai! Teacher =
Spoiler:
Show
Mizuho Kazami, a beautiful young woman, came to a high school in a mountainous area as a Japanese Language teacher; however, she is actually a representative sent by the Galaxy Association on a mission to observe the Earth. Her troubles start when Kei Kusanagi, one of her students, accidentally discovers her true identity. In order to keep her true identity a secret, Mizuho Kazami and Kei Kusanagi get married. Living together in secret, can they keep their relationship from Kei's classmates?
taken from http://browse.minitokyo.net/308/onegai-teacher
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Time for another review, and seeing as it's the middle of summer what better time is there to review 'Itsudatte my Santa'? :p: Based on the manga by Ken Akamatsu (Manga-ka for Love Hina, Negima, A.I. Love You), this is a two episode OVA (each episode lasting just 30 minutes including music). Seeing as it is only two episodes long, it's hard to give a summary of the story without spoiling the whole thing so I'll try not to go into too much detail.

The first episode introduces the two main characters; Santa, a boy who was born on Christmas Eve (hence his parent's cruel choice of name :p: ). For most of his life he spent Christmas, and his birthday, alone as his parents were too busy with work. So the second character, Mai (a 'santa in training') appears next to him out of nowhere and announces that she has been given the job of keeping him happy for that one night (but not in a perverted way :p: ). Mai shows him that many people care about him, including his parents, and eventually he learns the 'true meaning of Christmas' and begins to believe in Santa. The main weaknesses of the first OVA are that it is incredibly rushed, at the beginning of the episode Santa is trying everything to escape from Mai and yet half an hour later there are love confessions :s:. Also, there is fan service in this episode, but bear in mind that Mai is about 14 give or take a couple of years :ninja:

Then there is the second episode, which is just weird. It is set half a year later in the summer, when Santa visits the beach with Mai (who doesn't have enough power to return to santa school). All of a sudden, Mai's little sister appears out of nowhere. She is called Maimai, and she doesn't show up in the manga. Also, she doesn't do much in the anime besides bite things (be it watermelons or people's backsides :ninja: ). The first half is more or less a parody of the first OVA, and also features a 'duel' between Mai and her rival Shirley (who also isn't in the manga). Then the second half focuses on the fact that Mai has to return to santa school and therefore must say goodbye to Santa. All in all, it was a fairly good ending to a fairly weird couple of episodes, but they couldn't just leave it like that. It wasn't a weird enough ending. So they made a preview for a THIRD OVA; featuring Mai being sent back, Maimai being taken away but returning, and something about a fight with giant mechas. This third episode was never made, and apparently there were never plans to make it, it was just a joke preview.

So, if you like rushed comedy/romance, young children who eat watermelons at the speed of 1 per second, or are just looking for something a little weird, I would recommend this series. Otherwise, play it safe and stick to the manga. My overall rating is 4/10, there were a few moderately funny parts and the moral behind the story just about made this watchable.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow, this place is quiet :p: I'm not going to post two giant posts one after the other, so I won't review anything this week. But for those who like anime devoid of plotlines and full of fanservice I would recommend Cosplay Complex. The begining leaves you thinking 'WTF?', the end leaves you thinking 'WTF?', but there are some really funny bits in between that make it well worth watching!
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sum1)
i watched onegai teacher (please teacher) and onegai twins (please twins) over the weekend

they arent hentai....even though the name may imply it

id recommend teacher to you guys .....twins is a spin off of the teacher one...with basically new characters added and the main characters of teacher cast as very minor characters.

each are only 12 episodes long + 1 ova (13)

plot - Onegai! Teacher =
Spoiler:
Show
Mizuho Kazami, a beautiful young woman, came to a high school in a mountainous area as a Japanese Language teacher; however, she is actually a representative sent by the Galaxy Association on a mission to observe the Earth. Her troubles start when Kei Kusanagi, one of her students, accidentally discovers her true identity. In order to keep her true identity a secret, Mizuho Kazami and Kei Kusanagi get married. Living together in secret, can they keep their relationship from Kei's classmates?
taken from http://browse.minitokyo.net/308/onegai-teacher
I watched them a while ago, lol i thought twins was just very wierd:wtf?:
Sum1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
twins was rubbish.....and gave you the wrong idea....

teacher on the otherhand...... kickass
Zeptus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have been watching death note to ep 26... very good indeed... will start on the manga now instead and continue watching the anime once it is complete.

Now I have turned my eyes on Monster. Have only wathced 27 eps yet, but it is very promising this far. Seems to be well reviewed around the web as well. Will come back to recommend it once I have seen it all.
Sum1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
episode 36 is out now
gooner88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is the leader of this society still around? I would like to join.
Devil Kanga
Report 11 years ago
I want to watch the death note anime to compare it to the books, and also out of curiosity
Still looking forward to getting the internet at uni, I'll be downloading and wi-fi ing like crazy! (as well as studying..)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (33)
97.06%
No (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads