(Original post by vin)
People get cut in half in chobits?:confused:
that's what I was thinking.
fettucini
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is chobits good? Sorry, I'm a bit of an anime novice...would I like it? I'm a 19 year old girl.
rico dan man
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just saw legend of the over fiend and demon womb...wow
Renegade Dagger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Snarf)
Is chobits good? Sorry, I'm a bit of an anime novice...would I like it? I'm a 19 year old girl.
Apparently so.

My friend (18 years old, so similar to you) watched it and said it was VERY weird at the start, but gets less so.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vin)
People get cut in half in chobits?:confused:
:rofl: That's as unlikely as seeing Mokona with a bloody axe... oh, wait...

But yes, Chobits is romantic and Elfen Lied is violent. Possibly the only similarity is the whole Chi says 'Chi!' and Nyu says 'Nyu!' thing.

Again I'm short on time today, can't say much except that if anyone is looking for something funny yet... different, you should check out 'Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu' (don't let the long Japanese name put you off, once you've watched a few episodes you'll know it off by heart!)
eugenius 8
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hmmm what should i watch? :p:
azumanga daioh or Ichigo 100%
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by eugenius 8)
hmmm what should i watch? :p:
azumanga daioh or Ichigo 100%
both have their virtues. It very much depends on how much fan service you want (which really is the entire purpose of ichigo 100%).

If you want something reasonably comparable, which not try ichigo mashimaru, which is also about a group of friends and is a comedy.
eugenius 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
both have their virtues. It very much depends on how much fan service you want (which really is the entire purpose of ichigo 100%).

If you want something reasonably comparable, which not try ichigo mashimaru, which is also about a group of friends and is a comedy.
thanks i dont mind all the fanservice :p: i'll probably try them all
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:hello: How many episodes are there in the Final Fantasy DVD's? And how much would you be prepared to pay for them? Because I'm trying to find somewhere to buy them in English but not at an extortionate price like I have seen so far. Is it possible to buy them in an English translation or is the only English element available as subtitles and/or a dub? What is a dub; is it where the voices coming from the personas might be speaking in Japanese but they mouth English words instead?:confused: :p: :ninja: And how do film ssuch as Final Fantasy Advent Children fit into the sequencing of the Final Fantasy episodes? Final Fantasy episodes are quite short- about 25 mins each aren't they?

Also does anyone know where to get all the Sailormoon episodes and serie's from, also without breaking the bank? Because I've been frantically looking but haven't seen anywhere of where to purchase any Sailormoon.:nn: Also how many pisodes and volumes are there of Sailormoon?

Sorry for all the questions! But I'm fairly interested in anime after I started doing an art project in it, and became inspired by Japanese art, culture, philosophy, fashion, issues etc.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elements)
:hello: How many episodes are there in the Final Fantasy DVD's? And how much would you be prepared to pay for them? Because I'm trying to find somewhere to buy them in English but not at an extortionate price like I have seen so far. Is it possible to buy them in an English translation or is the only English element available as subtitles and/or a dub? What is a dub; is it where the voices coming from the personas might be speaking in Japanese but they mouth English words instead?:confused: :p: :ninja: And how do film ssuch as Final Fantasy Advent Children fit into the sequencing of the Final Fantasy episodes? Final Fantasy episodes are quite short- about 25 mins each aren't they?

Also does anyone know where to get all the Sailormoon episodes and serie's from, also without breaking the bank? Because I've been frantically looking but haven't seen anywhere of where to purchase any Sailormoon.:nn: Also how many pisodes and volumes are there of Sailormoon?

Sorry for all the questions! But I'm fairly interested in anime after I started doing an art project in it, and became inspired by Japanese art, culture, philosophy, fashion, issues etc.
Are you on about the Final fantasy unlimited series? Final fantasy unlimited is completely independent of any of the games and is just an anime series with a final fantasy feel about it, much like Final fantasy: the spirit within. Final fantasy VII: advent children is a sequel to the actual game, rather than an edition to the unlimited series.

If you are, you will be looking at between £15 - £18 for each dvd in most places. The only way to get them cheaper is if they were fake. While most anime titles are expensive, they are not a rip-off. Generally they will not have a huge print run, and are still perceived by many as having limited appeal. If you do want to minimise the amount of money you are spending on dvds, look out for anime box sets, which usually will contain all of a series if it around the 26 episode mark. For longer series, there is likely to be multiple box sets, but will still save you money. Normally a box set will cost around £40, but will probably contain 5 or 6 volumes, which would cost much more to buy separately.

The best places to go for buying anime is either amazon or play.com and with amazon you can buy used, which will save you a little money. You can try your luck on ebay, but be very careful. You need to make sure the dvd you are buying is region 2 and preferably the PAL release (otherwise the picture will look black and white on older TVs that don't support ntsc). There are sellers on amazon that will burn fansubs (anime that was aired in Japan, with fan made subtitles added by various groups. Mostly fansub groups will never charge you, so be cautious of any sites that try) on DVDs and sell entire series for quite a low price. While this is tempting, be careful, as you don't know the quality of the source anime. If you manage to find someone who is selling anime dvds at a very low price (I found a seller who sells box sets for £17.99), be sure to check their feedback to see what other people who have bought from them say. This will also let you check whether they are trying to sell dvds they have burnt themselves, but make it look like they are real. Always be careful of the location of the seller, as sometimes sellers in places like Hong Kong will be selling the Hong Kong version of a dvd, which will sometimes have very bad English subtitling or none at all.

When a US distribution company like Viz or 4kids, who will buy the rights to air and sell an anime series in the west, gets the rights to a series, they will re-record all of the audio using English speaking voice actors. This is generally because they feel that people will not want to watch a series if they have to read subtitles all the way through it. Because the dubbing process requires for some degree of lip-syncing, generally the script is slightly altered so the English dialogue so this is possible. For many fans of anime, who believe that dubbing is a terrible thing, most anime dvds (With the exception of titles from Manga entertainment) will come with the Japanese audio included as well as English subtitles, so people can choose how they watch.
Chezua
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hehe well i confess i've only watched the first three episodes of EL. i dunno, i think it's the violence that put me off mostly and lucy is kinda cute too:love: but chobits rules, any day ^.^

btw, concerning box sets, i found out that if you pay someone to burn episodes from the internet into blank CDs, you can get em really cheap. i bought my bleach for a fiver:rolleyes: and the quality is superb, before you say anything. you just gotta check which fansub they're using cos some are quite crappy.

anyone watched the latest episodes of bleach? i didn't know shinigamis' job is to purify hollows too:eek:

@eugenius
azumanga daioh ftw!!
eugenius 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
finished watching onegai teacher, was great, made me :bawling: at times

Mizuho :love:
Zoob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
It is very good. It starts off dark, but get considerably darker as the series goes on, but it is well worth a watch.
wow its brill!!!..really like it..gettin disc 2 on mon wooo cant wait :party:
Kagutsuchi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi guys

I'm not bothered to quote but I read through the messages so I'll just reply randomly

Elfen Lied is like Chobits?!?!? :eek: Elfen Lied is sooooooo much better than chobits!!! And since when does chobits have people being chopped in half and arms and legs ripped apart? :p:

I didn't like demon womb that much

Mizuho is soooooooo cute!!!!!!!!! :p:

But still, the number one anime is My Hime!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!! ;yes; Everyone who likes anime should watch it ;yes;

The sequel - My Otomie - was ok I guess :p:

I'm waiting for the second series of Zero no Tsukaima The first series was sooooooooo funny!!!!!!! :p: Plus! The main character - louise - has the same voice as Nagi in Hayate no Gotoku!!! (also another funny anime )

I'm also watching S Fighter on the side :p:

I LOVE ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not taking sides on the Chobits vs Elfen Lied debate, I really enjoyed both. (BTW if you have Sky and can stand English dubs they're showing one episode a week of Elfen Lied at 9:30 on Sundays on 'propeller TV', but they're quite far through the series now. They're also showing Coyote Ragtime, Guyver and Evangelion earlier on the same channel).

I'm currently watching Elemental Gelade, Serial Experiments Lain and Salaryman Kintaro. I still have Mahoromatic, Moon Phase and Pom Poko to watch as well, so I'm quite busy at the moment just watching and reading things :p:
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
I'm not taking sides on the Chobits vs Elfen Lied debate, I really enjoyed both. (BTW if you have Sky and can stand English dubs they're showing one episode a week of Elfen Lied at 9:30 on Sundays on 'propeller TV', but they're quite far through the series now. They're also showing Coyote Ragtime, Guyver and Evangelion earlier on the same channel).

I'm currently watching Elemental Gelade, Serial Experiments Lain and Salaryman Kintaro. I still have Mahoromatic, Moon Phase and Pom Poko to watch as well, so I'm quite busy at the moment just watching and reading things :p:
My anime queue is as follows:

Yakitate! Japan
Battle programmer Shirase
Tenshi na Konamaiki
mahoujin Guruguru
daa! daa! daa!
One piece

It should take me a while to get through them all.
Sabriel
Report 11 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new and I like Anime and Manga, can I be in your club? ^_^;
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabriel)
Hi everyone, I'm new and I like Anime and Manga, can I be in your club? ^_^;
You definitely can be.

What are your favourite anime series?
Sabriel
Report 11 years ago
My favourite would probably either be Yu Yu Hakusho, Chobits or Cowboy Bebop. ^^;
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabriel)
My favourite would probably either be Yu Yu Hakusho, Chobits or Cowboy Bebop. ^^;
I haven't come across Yu Yu Hakusho yet, but chobits and cowboy Bebop are excellent series.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (179)
80.27%
Leave (44)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise