The Anime society Watch

This discussion is closed.
goldenGAZE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This thread is so HUGE i just had to make a post

i watched lucky star and yes i found is boring (cute, but still boring)
i also had the same problem with Azumanga Daioh.
Death note is AMAZING love the artwork in both the anime and the manga and the op and ending songs are cool.other anime i like are pardise kiss, honey and clover, fruits basket was decent too umm cant remember the others (too much)

Im more into the girly stuff manga wise and watch anime occasionally (hope i can join the society even though i prefer manga:p: )
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find it interesting how anime series that are popular in the west (Naruto, Bleach, Death Note etc) often aren't nearly as popular in Japan.

Assuming the Saimoe tournament is a fairly accurate definition of the popularity of characters (in the east); not a single Bleach or Naruto character qualified, Death Note had one character qualify, XXXholic had two while no Tsubasa characters qualified, Keroro Gunsou saw one character qualify etc.

The three series that came out top in terms of characters qualifying were Nanoha StrikerS (19 characters), Lucky Star (14), and Negima (12). I know Negima in particular has the advantage of having a lot more female characters than, say, Naruto; but even a few minor characters got through in preferance to the main characters from other series so popularity is certainly a huge factor. Though a lot of people have heard of these three series, they aren't nearly as big over here as in Japan.
goldenGAZE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
also, adding to your point, alot of people go to Japan and think that everyone is obsesed with anime and that on Japanese tv there is nothing but 24 hr anime on, sadly these people will be extremly disappointed. Anime there is watch much more by junior high schoolers (i think)

oh well
:p:
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To some extent, yes. But a lot of anime is aimed at Japanese students/young men and it is often these people that are most obsessed with it (the stereotypical 'otaku', basicly). They're the ones that can most easily be persuaded to part with their money in order to collect figurines and other merchandise.
null
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just watched the new episode of Gurren Lagann (mkv format, 1280 x 720) on my new laptop and i must say it was amazing, the video and subtitles were smooth. Core 2 duo does what it says

Nice episode, we find out what the moon is, and now the anti-spirals are planning a full attack. wooo

I'm no good at explaining so just watch the eps

Gurren lagann unites with Arc ship
Simon: You made it work out well, As expected from you, leeron
Leeron: I'm not satisfied by words of praise, I want your burning heart ~!
Viral: Can i kill him?
Simon: Not now.
spidersandsprinkles
Report 11 years ago
I'm a bit of an anime geek haha.
Watching Afro Samurai at the moment. Love the Quentin Tarentino style of it.
null
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Afro samurai looks quite good, added to my list.

"Samuel L. Jackson" is the voice in the english dub wow.

Was there a japanese audio+english subs for this or was it released already in english audio.
moogle301
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Lucky Star is awesome ;yes; If you liked that, I recommend you check out Azumanga Daioh .
was it you who repped me? my first rep ^_____^

only just reaslied

t'was my brother who showed me em, I've only sen Eps:1-5 and also 18 strangely
anyways my brother joined the forums yesterday he is: masterfulcat
I think he's seen up to 20
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i found a shop in a madrid airport selling manga:eek:, annoyingly on the way back a slightly open bottle of water made my manga books go wavey:hmpf:

and the works actually are selling manga, atleast on their site
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moogle301)
was it you who repped me? my first rep ^_____^

only just reaslied

t'was my brother who showed me em, I've only sen Eps:1-5 and also 18 strangely
anyways my brother joined the forums yesterday he is: masterfulcat
I think he's seen up to 20
That would have been me, yes :p:

I didn't even know The Works had a website :p:. Though most places do these days. I think I'll stick to Amazon for online shopping, but if The Works start selling it in store too then that would be awesome.
Aksan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by null)
Just watched the new episode of Gurren Lagann (mkv format, 1280 x 720) on my new laptop and i must say it was amazing, the video and subtitles were smooth. Core 2 duo does what it says

Nice episode, we find out what the moon is, and now the anti-spirals are planning a full attack. wooo

I'm no good at explaining so just watch the eps
Just watched it. Excellent episode! Watching Simon and Viral work together brought back feelings of Simon and Kamina. Truly awesome. Words cannot express how awesome Gurren Lagann is. Anime of this calibre is really exceptional.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard nothing but praise about this series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, can anybody give me a brief description of what it's about? What genre etc. Just trying to decide whether to watch it myself . (Plus I want to know whether the character 'Yoko' is that popular; only in the Saimoe tournament she is up against Shinku from Rozen Maiden and I want to know if she is a potential threat :p: ).
Aksan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard nothing but praise about this series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, can anybody give me a brief description of what it's about? What genre etc. Just trying to decide whether to watch it myself . (Plus I want to know whether the character 'Yoko' is that popular; only in the Saimoe tournament she is up against Shinku from Rozen Maiden and I want to know if she is a potential threat :p: ).
It's a mecha anime from the brilliance that is Gainax. It has some of the stereotypical things you would expect from a mecha series but it is littered with unique pieces of pure awesomeness. Not to mention plenty of GAR moments. The story is absolutely brilliant and action scenes are nothing short of breath-taking.
Initially, humans live underground on what is presumably Earth or a planet similar to it. The "beastmen" are suppressing them and they live on the surface roaming the land with their Ganmen (mecha). Somehow, Simon and Kamina escape the underground along with Yoko and their quest for humans to live on the surface begins. Good stuff.
And I don't know if Yoko is that popular. She's a large-breasted outgoing character so maybe that's why she's in there. I would think Kamina or Simon would be far more popular. Especially Kamina.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sounds cool, I may check it out . And as far as I can see the only other Gurren Lagan characters to make it were Darry and Nia, ironically they too are up against some of my fave characters :afraid:.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
While in Reading I purchased the Haibane Renmei box set, Ultimate Goddess box set (Oh! My Goddess OVA + Ah! My Goddess Movie), Adventures of Mini-Goddess vol.1, The Little Norse Prince and Tsukuyomi Moon Phase vol. 2. I also watched Pom Poko, KGNE (whole series), Ah! My Goddess vol. 4 and .hack//SIGN vol.4. So a fun, anime filled weekend :p:. Plus I seem to be more obsessed with Ah! My Goddess than I realized :eek:.

KGNE did not disappoint, my best random purchase of 2007 I'd say! (2006 would have been Elfen Lied vol. 1 and 2; 2005 was Chobits manga vol 1). I'm currently downloading 'Akane Mainax', which is a separate story 3 episode OVA about Akane (Haruka's little sister from KGNE). Just thought I'd mention it in case KGNE fans weren't aware of it, though I haven't watched it yet so I don't know anything more about the storyline.
Aksan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ooo. I didn't know such a thing existed AJ, thanks for the heads up. I wish I had the money to buy loads of anime...
For now I'm just content to watch fansubs and get the occasional volume or two of manga. Speaking of which, just picked up volume 1 of Ichigo 100% or Stawberry 100% which it is now called. Blergh.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aksan)
Ooo. I didn't know such a thing existed AJ, thanks for the heads up. I wish I had the money to buy loads of anime...
For now I'm just content to watch fansubs and get the occasional volume or two of manga. Speaking of which, just picked up volume 1 of Ichigo 100% or Stawberry 100% which it is now called. Blergh.
Strawberry 100% sounds rubbish compaired with Ichigo 100% . KGNE also sounds a lot better and is a lot more relevant to the story than 'Rumbling Hearts' (even if it is quite a mouthfull and needs to be abbreiated). Why can't they leave the Japanese names, if I moved to Japan I like to think that I'd still be called Joseph and not be given a new Japanese name :p:.

I finished watching Mahoromatic today, one less anime to finish (although I have twelve other unfinished series that I'm watching plus eight queued up series that I have yet to start ). Even so, I'm still downloading new ones, I seriously can't stop! I think I'm more addicted to downloading and buying than I am to watching to be honest :rofl:.
moogle301
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That would have been me, yes :p:

I didn't even know The Works had a website :p:. Though most places do these days. I think I'll stick to Amazon for online shopping, but if The Works start selling it in store too then that would be awesome.
the works?? what? O______o
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Works is a book shop which recently decided to sell manga (on their website anyway, we have yet to find out if they will sell it in store). But one thing is for sure, when The Works does discounts it does HUGE discounts! I picked up the Salaryman Kintaro anime box set (RRP £99) for just £5 there! That's cheaper than the price of a single volume of Salaryman Kintaro in HMV, and this set came with all five! Let's hope they do the same with manga .
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just thought I'd warn people; Akane Maniax is more of a mix between KGNE and Muv-Luv rather than just a continuation of KGNE. It is set after the events in KGNE, but pretty much the only main character that shows up in both series is Akane herself (there are a few really minor appearances from the others though). Also, Akane Maniax is far more comedy-themed, so it's quite different to KGNE.

Still, it was a great anime, just a bit... different to what I expected from a KGNE-related anime . Plenty of hilarious bits (especially if you like mecha ) It's really funny and I would recommend it, just don't expect it to be all romantic. Despite the differences, they managed to keep Akane's personality exactly the same and it still worked well.

Here's a few screenshots, of Akane herself and another Gouji, of the main male character of Akane Mainax (compare the artwork, he looks like he came from a totally different anime!)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (582)
80.17%
Leave (144)
19.83%

Watched Threads