• PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Truered)
Juno- prescription

;yes;
if you'da reminded me half an hour later (or 10 mins earlier) I woulda repped you
Truered
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
And why is that something to be proud of? Most DVD companies make a right mess of the translations and honorifics, whereas there are some fansub groups that do far better jobs of it. And as long as a series isn't UK licensed then downloading fansubs is perfectly acceptable :p:.
Supporting the industry? Sure it may be poor occasionally but I prefer not stealing.

Also the fansub debate is boring and drawn out, and since it's all of you vs me lets stop this here huh?
caraniel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I :love: fansubs - their translations are so much better than the 'offical' translations. Most of them only subtitle the dubbed dialogue so you lose quite abit in translation. I do buy DVDs of my most loved series, but I still prefer the fansubs overall!
Truered
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
if you'da reminded me half an hour later (or 10 mins earlier) I woulda repped you

Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:poke:

sorry
Truered
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And I must warn you Juno, sleep for me is like blanking a disk. I forget mostly everything and you wanted to be reminded on Thursday.

So erm...

Don't forget!

AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I like a series and if it's UK licensed then I'll buy the DVD. My anime DVD collection is pretty big in my opinion. But there are so many good series out there that may never make it to the UK or that could take a long time to do so.

Besides, didn't you say your anime soc was showing fansubs Truered? I dread to think how long it will be before Gurren Lagann reaches the UK
Truered
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah my society shows fansubs.

I'm not so much against those that aren't yet licensed as they take forever to arrive in England. And especially those that never will be shown.

However my society is full of those raving all dubs are the spawn of satan, I only ever download elitists. Sure having Gurren Lagann or Lucky Star, or possibly even Haruhi is ok, but downloading easily availiable licensed anime is wrong to me.

So I guess what I meant was some fansubs ok, others= stealing.

I was too tired to properly go into detail though
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So I guess what I meant was some fansubs ok, others= stealing.
I'm of the same mind set, except I'm maybe slightly less strict. I'll download licensed episodes to 'try before I buy', like I did with Haibane Renmei about a week before I got the box set. Also if a series gets licensed when I'm halfway through watching it then I'll finish the series and buy it as and when it is released.

Most dubs are awful from my experience, but if others want to watch whole series in English dub then I don't care as long as I don't have to join them. In fact, I salute them for being able to take the pain whereas I would not be able to stay in the room if someone was watching Elemental Gelade or Galaxy Angel in dub :p:
caraniel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^^^^^ *would probably be in the 'all dubs are the spawn of satan group'* lol Most dubs make my ears bleed
kestral
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my anime soc shows fansubs too. the soc runs twice a week and shows about 4 hours of anime per session. this seems rather high. Also they never stick to just one series - each time i go they are showing something new. they have 2 hours of one anime then 2 hours of another.
I have no idea what i saw this week, but they were both wierd!
eugenius 8
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I prefer fansubs to the licenced ones cos they just feel better to read :p: On my Gunslinger Girl DVD there were 2 subs, one which was the exact translation of the dub, and the other was translation straight from the Japanese i think, i chose the latter ;yes;

whenever they show anime at our Jap Soc, its always been subs on the DVD, never fansubs
caraniel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wish I had that option on my Naruto Unleashed DVDs.....sometime the DubTitles make me want to punch something!.........especially when there is dialogue in Japanese and none in English or a slightly different timing, yet the Japanese is untranslated.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kestral)
my anime soc shows fansubs too. the soc runs twice a week and shows about 4 hours of anime per session. this seems rather high. Also they never stick to just one series - each time i go they are showing something new. they have 2 hours of one anime then 2 hours of another.
I have no idea what i saw this week, but they were both wierd!
Looks like they're trying to promote as many series as possible, allowing people to download/buy the series they liked. Whereas if a series isn't to their taste they only have to sit through 2 hours of it. Aberanime shows one random first episode every week for the same reason, they're usually pretty weird ;yes;

[edit] I can't find a 'straight from Japanese' option on my Gunslinger Girl DVD . Not that I mind the sub that I've been watching so far in terms of translation, but the weird bold yellow DVD subtitles are a bit off-putting compared with the nice soft coloured fonts used by good fansub groups.
Truered
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Regarding dubs, I don't mind Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and possibly some others. WIth those two especially it allows me to focus on the action.

However I'm never ever going to listen to the Azumanga Daioh dub again. Texan Osaka FT extreme L

1000th post :blow:
caraniel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:elefant: :dancing2: :bumps: :party: Congrats tru!

I've watched quite a few dubs, mostly back from when I didnt know any better! Still I'll only watch Gundam Wing dubbed - I've watched it that many times dubbed that the japanese sounds weird.......same with Tenchi Muyo
Truered
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Looks like they're trying to promote as many series as possible, allowing people to download/buy the series they liked. Whereas if a series isn't to their taste they only have to sit through 2 hours of it. Aberanime shows one random first episode every week for the same reason, they're usually pretty weird ;yes;
Our society has a first screening showing four episodes of a series for it's entirety. Then there's a 30 minute break and the first four episodes of a random series are shown.

So far I've seen four episodes of Slayers, Wolf's rain, Hayate, all of Doujin work and 5cm per second
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard that Texan Osaka was a bit rubbish :sadnod:. Whereas most people I know chose the Cowboy Bebop English dub over the sub; even those I considered hard-core fansub downloaders, so it must be a pretty good dub. Having said that, I found nothing wrong with the Japanese voices either so I guess Cowboy Bebop is a win-win series whether you watch subs or dubs ;yes;

[edit] Congrats :congrats:
caraniel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How did Doujin Work pan out? I dropped it after a few eps, is it worth picking up again?

Loved 5cm per second it was gorgeous
kestral
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i saw one where - a girl saw a fairy then she transformed into a strange girl with long blonde hair and killed demons that possesed people from inside paintings. This ment she had to deatroy the painting, so the town thought she was a thief and try to catch her every episode. (they fail) there is also a boy with blue hair who is a pervert by day, and a mysterious character by night.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (905)
79.95%
Leave (227)
20.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed