Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime society watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kupoartist)
    Oh and a challenge: name the 3 characters in my avatar if you dare :P (and yes, looking at my website is cheating)
    Bob, Simon and Jar Jar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    right....:wtf?:
    Man of few words aren't you?
    (Original post by Juno)
    Bob, Simon and Jar Jar
    No cookies for you, not even for effort :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just like to add that Ive seen the following:

Guyver - So Awsome!
    Vampire Hunter D
    Dragonball - think ive seen nearly all of it, but tbh i think its crap
    Sailormoon - was bored when i was younger and it was being shown on Sky
    D.N.Angel

Just watched Appleseed. Loved the graphics in it and the filtering on the characters to look Anime was done pretty well i think.

Anyone catch the southbank show the other nite? was pretty interesting

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!! I know...I hate dragonball

ReputationRep:
    Im not jus on about the Dragonball season im on about the whole shibang, DBZ, the movies, etc. I think even if the more action/bloody side of it was not taken out for Cartoon Network it would still be pants. The only thing I liked about it was some of the plots were pretty good and the characters where designed well as in who they are not their appearance etc. A big thing though that let some of the story down was the length and time it took for something to happen. about 3+ episodes of them standing there talking kinda thing and stretching that part of the story.

If no one has watched Guyver, i would recommend it by far lol. Watch the original before the new ramastered ones which have just started coming out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewy)
    Im not jus on about the Dragonball season im on about the whole shibang, DBZ, the movies, etc. I think even if the more action/bloody side of it was not taken out for Cartoon Network it would still be pants. The only thing I liked about it was some of the plots were pretty good and the characters where designed well as in who they are not their appearance etc. A big thing though that let some of the story down was the length and time it took for something to happen. about 3+ episodes of them standing there talking kinda thing and stretching that part of the story.

If no one has watched Guyver, i would recommend it by far lol. Watch the original before the new ramastered ones which have just started coming out.
    The is why it is better to get fansubs, since you get the original product without any stupid dubbing or annoying editing. As an excellent example, watch the first couple of episodes of naruto as the dubs and then watch them again as the fan subs. Having not really watch DBZ at all, I really can't comment on it as a series, but as long as it is only available as a dub, I don't think I will watch it.

ReputationRep:
    i've just watched the whole Great Teacher Onizuka series again i love it :love:, especially Urumi Kanzaki (blonde chick with a blue eye and a brown one)

ReputationRep:
    *looks arounds*
    no1 here? :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lettherainfalldown)
    i've just watched the whole Great Teacher Onizuka series again i love it
    Not a series i've seen all of... in fact, i've kind of seen one episode of the Anime, read one volume of the Manga, and watched slightly more of the live action series Just not a series i'd seek out, yet it certainly has its charms. I love how it messes with my instant dislike for 'Onizuka the pervert' with my developing love for 'Onizuka the great teacher and all round friendly guy'. Its another one of those anime concepts that sounds dull and/or an excuse for annoying fanservice, but is actually pulled off quite enjoyably. The live action tones down the Pervy Onizuka... though the acting is a little jarring at times.

Personally, i'm watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex at the moment. It's very good, though not an absolute favorite quite yet. Love the opening theme though. Recommended, especially as most etailers are selling the entire 26eps at £30 at the moment. That's pretty much unprecendented for an anime series of that length, which you usally pick up from between 50 and 60 :/ Anime/Manga is such a damned expensive hobby isn't it? And that from someone who has got most of their stuff in Sales over the years!

Big anime film release this week btw. Ghost in the Shell 2 is out on Monday. Anyone seen? I wasn't too big a fan of the first movie, but I got the GitS 1&2 double pack anyway. Also out are the rereleases of Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, which I hearby demand you all purchase if you don't have the originals! The former is a great family action movie, and the later is a wonderful ball of cloying loveliness. Buy Buy Buy!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i'm watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex at the moment. It's very good, though not an absolute favorite quite yet. Love the opening theme though. Recommended, especially as most etailers are selling the entire 26eps at £30 at the moment. That's pretty much unprecendented for an anime series of that length, which you usally pick up from between 50 and 60 :/ Anime/Manga is such a damned expensive hobby isn't it? And that from someone who has got most of their stuff in Sales over the years!
    :eek: im also watching that
    i like how the opening bit is cgi, but its a bit annoying in the main programme when you can obviously tell that somethings cgi like the cars someties.

maybe the price thing is to do something about those pirated versions that sell the whole series for about £30 also? but i got it off play and it was really good value

ReputationRep:
    Big anime film release this week btw. Ghost in the Shell 2 is out on Monday. Anyone seen? I wasn't too big a fan of the first movie
    I have seen it, the visuals are obviously better than the original, but the film is not that great like the original. I am not sure why many people find the film to be amazing, sure the original had a very good concept, but the rest of the film i.e. the action, the dialogue etc not that great.

When I was younger I really loved the DB series but then I realised it was just the same thing over and over so it got tiresome. I think the English dubbing is better than the japanese version, I have watched the japanese, chinese and english dubbing, and both the asian versions make Goku sound like a fag..

ReputationRep:
    Im rather confused with Ghost in the Shell... dont know why but i think its not labeled well...

is there a movie series and now a 2nd movie???

Im 'acquiring' about 6gb of it atm... If i really like it, ill probably go get it when i get the money lol dont get me wrong i dont download whore stuff...

on another note, as of today i started learning Japanese... so... Kon'nichi Wa! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewy)
    Im 'acquiring' about 6gb of it atm... If i really like it, ill probably go get it when i get the money lol dont get me wrong i dont download whore stuff...
    There is NO excuse for downloading GitS of all things. It's £47 for the two movies and the entire first series. You seriously have to be a cheap-arse to find that too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone watch the andy milonakis show last night?

ReputationRep:
    Mwa ha I am in the anime again. I just got the ability to download back last night and in the time since I have downloaded almost 4GB of anime (all missed naruto, bleach and yakitate! Japan and the entire of ichigo 100%)

Having watched a couple of the naruto episodes I got around to watching were ok (a mini arc to bring us to the end of the filler episodes I hope), but I still can't wait to get to the next manga arc.

ReputationRep:
    Not a series i've seen all of... in fact, i've kind of seen one episode of the Anime, read one volume of the Manga, and watched slightly more of the live action series Just not a series i'd seek out, yet it certainly has its charms. I love how it messes with my instant dislike for 'Onizuka the pervert' with my developing love for 'Onizuka the great teacher and all round friendly guy'. Its another one of those anime concepts that sounds dull and/or an excuse for annoying fanservice, but is actually pulled off quite enjoyably. The live action tones down the Pervy Onizuka... though the acting is a little jarring at times.

Big anime film release this week btw. Ghost in the Shell 2 is out on Monday. Anyone seen? I wasn't too big a fan of the first movie, but I got the GitS 1&2 double pack anyway. Also out are the rereleases of Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, which I hearby demand you all purchase if you don't have the originals! The former is a great family action movie, and the later is a wonderful ball of cloying loveliness. Buy Buy Buy!
    That's why I stick with fansubs, they are free and in the original japanese so there is no chance of my viewing to be tainted by horrible dubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Mwa ha I am in the anime again. I just got the ability to download back last night and in the time since I have downloaded almost 4GB of anime (all missed naruto, bleach and yakitate! Japan and the entire of ichigo 100%)

Having watched a couple of the naruto episodes I got around to watching were ok (a mini arc to bring us to the end of the filler episodes I hope), but I still can't wait to get to the next manga arc.
    where do you download from; I always find it hard to find this stuff? Do you pay or get it for free?

ReputationRep:
    am getting them from a site that offers anime via direct download (and signing up only cost about £3 and that includes 5GB of bandwidth. you can purchase more bandwidth if you need it at around £2.50 per 5GB.

I can't actually tell you the name of the site though since it does carry licenced anime, which is technically illegal (despite the episodes themselves being fansubs).

ReputationRep:
    There is NO excuse for downloading GitS of all things. It's £47 for the two movies and the entire first series. You seriously have to be a cheap-arse to find that too expensive.
    hmm it is when i have no income, nor does my parents as they are both retired as my mum is paralysed and in a wheelchair and my father has to look after her.

also im pretty sure u would moan like hell if u contracted someone to decorate your house or something and they didnt do it to your liking.. i wonder how that situation would go...

oh and to the above guys... try newsgroups.... 600kbit download speed ... unlimited bandwidth etc for about £8 a month..

ReputationRep:
    You know, as others have said, to some people £47 is a lot of money, especially for students. I am working and I still would not be able to spare £47 easily enough to justify buying something as unessential as anime.
    Downloading anime is the only way I, and many other people, can actually watch it and I feel that a lack of funds should not automatically deprive people of the joys of anime.
    While what you say is true, you can buy various anime titles in the shops in this country (the UK) and more in the US, but shops will charge a lot for them compared to what they charge for other DVDs. Even when the DVDs are affordable you will still have the problem of some of them having only the English audio track (such as vampire hunter D and Violence Jack) which makes watching them a lot less enjoyable.
    For the most part, when you download anime it is in fansub form, so you will get the Japanese audio with subtitles in the relevent language. This ensures that the anime series can be watched in it's full glory, without any terrible dubbing (or indeed any over-zealous editing by the US publishers to make it more 'palletable' to the wider audience)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.