The Anime society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just saw the first three episodes of Love Hina last night... looks like i'm gonna have to get the rest of the series, it was pretty funny (though obviously for the opening episodes, for scene setting etc, not as funny as i imagine the later ones are...)
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi all! :hello:
Chewy
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
uhm hey? lol
kupoartist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry, but if you can't afford something, you have no right to it. Simple as that. How can you justifiably call yourselves fans of something when your actions work against the extremely fragile and fledgling industry in this country?
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
lmfao, I never said i was a fan? I see you must be such a hardcore anime/manga lover. Well I've already stated the situation above and there are many many more I could list that when the work someone does and you do not like, you do something about it. Just because it is digital and is sold at retail, you have to pay fixed prices. Yet if it was a piece of single art the artist was selling, im pretty sure you would negotiate prices. and if you didnt like their artwork, you would move on till you find someone or something you do like and on saying that the artists of the art you haggled over may give you a lower price without loosing out their end or your end.

I admit it sounds wrong im sorry, but as i did say above, if i like something and appreciate the creators work, I will get the money or try get hold of them through xmas and birthdays etc and I think you are taking the piss by saying roughly £50 is not a lot of money. I would love to see ANY child up to their elder teen years have that kind of money to spend as 'pocket' money should i say.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by kupoartist)
Sorry, but if you can't afford something, you have no right to it. Simple as that. How can you justifiably call yourselves fans of something when your actions work against the extremely fragile and fledgling industry in this country?
For the most part my actions do nothing to endanger the industry in this country mainly because the anime series that I watch have not been released in this country yet (or indeed even been released in the US).

I for one would have never really got into anime in any serious way without the online access to anime I have had. I am sure I am not alone in this either, so downloading fansubs can actually help the anime industry in this country as it increases interest and makes people more likely to go on to buy anime in shops.

If I had no access to anime online, I would still think that the sum total of anime was stuff like pokemon, digimon and yu-gi-oh, which are nothing like the anime I now watch. I probably would never have really got into anime past watching the odd episode of whatever was showing on childrens tv either.

How dare you say that downloading anime damages the industry when it is one of the main reasons why it is increasing in popularity. Just because you may have enough spare money to buy anime does not make you any better than any of us, or make you more of a fan.
kupoartist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
lmfao, I never said i was a fan? I see you must be such a hardcore anime/manga lover.
I wasn't addressing you alone, but besides, it was a fairly safe assumption to make when you're posting in an anime society thread and saying that you'd download 6 gigabytes of anime.
(Original post by Chewy)
Well I've already stated the situation above and there are many many more I could list that when the work someone does and you do not like, you do something about it.
Like downloading Six Gigabytes of it before you even know what it's like? Sorry?. Analogies are nice, but they don't always hold up in the real world.
(Original post by Chewy)
Just because it is digital and is sold at retail, you have to pay fixed prices.
Sales.
(Original post by Chewy)
I admit it sounds wrong im sorry, but as i did say above, if i like something and appreciate the creators work, I will get the money or try get hold of them through xmas and birthdays etc
I'll freely admit to doing the same, but you're going far, far too overboard for me to believe you when you're talking about stealing 6 Gigabytes at once. I know if I took more than 3 or 4 episodes, I'd not want to waste money on getting something i'd already seen, and I find it difficult to believe that you would either.
(Original post by Chewy)
I think you are taking the piss by saying roughly £50 is not a lot of money. I would love to see ANY child up to their elder teen years have that kind of money to spend as 'pocket' money should i say.
Kids in their elder teens should get part-time jobs and stop sponging off their parents if they want a right to complain about their money situation. I've had heaps of money to waste, and don't you dare even suggest that's because i'm rich. My parents are barely lower middle-class with virtually no disposible income: all my money came from a depressing hole of a weekend job. Now it comes from the outer reaches of my student loan. True, your own situation is different and chances are, you have a job that helps you pay your way through things I had my parents to help me with (otherwise you're a hypocrite. Easy as that). But the majority of people in their upper teens have crap loads of money. It's a widely known fact that Later Teens are the easiest exploited demographic with the highest ammount of disposable income.
(Original post by juueru_chou)
Just because you may have enough spare money to buy anime does not make you any better than any of us, or make you more of a fan.
No. I'm a better fan because I have money that I prioritise for my hobby and because that money ends up in the hands of the industry. If you truely had love for anime, it would be higher on your list of the things you spend money on. As it is, you love it only enough to set your computer up and aquire as much of it as possible. It may not make me a better person, but at least i'm on the right side of the law.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
I wasn't addressing you alone, but besides, it was a fairly safe assumption to make when you're posting in an anime society thread and saying that you'd download 6 gigabytes of anime.

Like downloading Six Gigabytes of it before you even know what it's like? Sorry?. Analogies are nice, but they don't always hold up in the real world.

Sales.

I'll freely admit to doing the same, but you're going far, far too overboard for me to believe you when you're talking about stealing 6 Gigabytes at once. I know if I took more than 3 or 4 episodes, I'd not want to waste money on getting something i'd already seen, and I find it difficult to believe that you would either.

Kids in their elder teens should get part-time jobs and stop sponging off their parents if they want a right to complain about their money situation. I've had heaps of money to waste, and don't you dare even suggest that's because i'm rich. My parents are barely lower middle-class with virtually no disposible income: all my money came from a depressing hole of a weekend job. Now it comes from the outer reaches of my student loan. True, your own situation is different and chances are, you have a job that helps you pay your way through things I had my parents to help me with (otherwise you're a hypocrite. Easy as that). But the majority of people in their upper teens have crap loads of money. It's a widely known fact that Later Teens are the easiest exploited demographic with the highest ammount of disposable income.

No. I'm a better fan because I have money that I prioritise for my hobby and because that money ends up in the hands of the industry. If you truely had love for anime, it would be higher on your list of the things you spend money on. As it is, you love it only enough to set your computer up and aquire as much of it as possible. It may not make me a better person, but at least i'm on the right side of the law.
I work full time and I don't have much disposable income and what I do have usually is spent on things that are more important than anime. I download anime because it is the only way i can actually enjoy it. Even if I could afford to spend however much on getting an anime series, the majority of what I watch is not available for me to buy (even naruto isn't available in this country).

As for what you were saying about not wanting to buy anime after having watched 5 or 6 episodes, I for one want to buy several anime series I have seen all the way through (like excel saga, cowboy bebop, hellsing, trigun ect.) and there are quite a few people that would probably do the same, if they had enough money.
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
actualy it wasnt a series my friend, it was a film therefore it was a DVD rip thus being 6GB roughly in size.

and why the hell should some elder teens get part-time jobs. I have to work my sodding arse off at home to help my parents because of our situation. Some people can't afford such time and effort into a 'crap' job ill say as ive had to work at tesco in order to upgrade my PC. I could barely manage it with my Sixthform stuff and personal life at home.

hmmm....

I think its safe to just say people have their different opinions. And yeah some people do take the piss out of the system and some people can be too Goody Goody. (im not saying you are mate) but I seriously think its a strong topic to justify. I'm pretty sure that within few years to come it will side in your favour mate because in the end of the day 'money' is involved and it will break copyright laws and what not.

Anyway lets move the conversation away as I can see an argument erupting lol
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
So you think I should buy anime instead of food and rent then (which is what most of my pay actually goes on)?

As I stated above, I can't buy the majority of anime series I watch, they have not been released in this country (and most not even released in the US) and due to me not having any DVD player/tv to properly play US imports of those that have been released there. Sitting at my computer is the ONLY way I can aquire most of the series I watch though, since they have not been released outside of Japan, so short of learning how to fluently speak japanese and then import Japanese DVDs (since the large majority do not include english subtitles), downloading is my only option.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chewy)
actualy it wasnt a series my friend, it was a film therefore it was a DVD rip thus being 6GB roughly in size.

and why the hell should some elder teens get part-time jobs. I have to work my sodding arse off at home to help my parents because of our situation. Some people can't afford such time and effort into a 'crap' job ill say as ive had to work at tesco in order to upgrade my PC. I could barely manage it with my Sixthform stuff and personal life at home.

hmmm....

I think its safe to just say people have their different opinions. And yeah some people do take the piss out of the system and some people can be too Goody Goody. (im not saying you are mate) but I seriously think its a strong topic to justify. I'm pretty sure that within few years to come it will side in your favour mate because in the end of the day 'money' is involved and it will break copyright laws and what not.

The entire area of downloading anime (especially series that have not yet been released outside of Japan) is rather a grey area. As I understand it, Japanese anime companies do not persue fan subbing groups who distribute their anime series as fan subs, since it increases popularity around the world for the various anime series and so will mean their series will be a bigger hit when they are released elsewhere.
kupoartist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
Fair enough, I see your side of this. Forgive me that, having worked at Pizza Hut kind of makes you wish everyone else could feel your suffering too :P
(Original post by Chewy)
And yeah some people do take the piss out of the system and some people can be too Goody Goody. (im not saying you are mate)
I think people should just be sensible with it. I don't see Fansubbing as the force for good that juueru suggests, people just download so much that they'll never follow up on, beyond a few absolute favourties. Nevertheless, an adequate system for sampling series isn't in place. It'd be nice if we all lived next door to an anime/manga nut who likes sharing, but it's pretty rare :/
(Original post by Chewy)
I'm pretty sure that within few years to come it will side in your favour mate because in the end of the day 'money' is involved and it will break copyright laws and what not.
Let's not get that deep, lol. As far as I see it, people should help the UK industry where at all possible.
Even if I could afford to spend however much on getting an anime series, the majority of what I watch is not available for me to buy (even naruto isn't available in this country).
Unlicensed anime was never the issue. I too download a lot of it, though it tends to be shows that don't have a chance in hell of getting the UK.
I for one want to buy several anime series I have seen all the way through (like excel saga, cowboy bebop, hellsing, trigun ect.) and there are quite a few people that would probably do the same, if they had enough money.
Great, so long as you follow through on your good intentions eventually!
So you think I should buy anime instead of food and rent then (which is what most of my pay actually goes on)?
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that you aren't exaggerating. The notion of student poverty is one i've been entirely unconvinced with since arriving at university. The few people i've actually seen struggling are doing so because they're wasting money on drugs (not suggesting you are at all of course).
As I understand it, Japanese anime companies do not persue fan subbing groups who distribute their anime series as fan subs, since it increases popularity around the world for the various anime series and so will mean their series will be a bigger hit when they are released elsewhere.
As far as I see it, there are cases where companies do pursue but simply have limited resources to do so, especially considering how many groups there are and how utterly impossible it is to close fansubbing down (it works the same as the music industry vs file sharing, just on a smaller scale)
(Original post by Chewy)
I already like you about a thousand times more

Mentioning fansubbing round kupoartist is equivilent to mentioning the war around Germans?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Finally got round to watching the rest of the FMA movie and I am quite impressed, it was a very good extention to the series and din't do annoying things like mess around with the plot.
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oo the place got all serious there for a moment
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah...
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dwight67)
did anyone watch the andy milonakis show last night?
Nope....
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey people! Why is this soc so dead?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because anime is so boring.

Anyone wanna buy a Dragon Ball Z character, still in it's box? He called "vegetable" or something.
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
Everyone has their own tastes, if you dont like it then dont participate in a dedicated forum for fans and people who enjoy it.

And its Vegeta btw :p:

Hmm I watched Ghost in the Shell the other night. Didnt think much of it at all.. I see where the Matrix all came from thought, and admit some parts are excellent. But overall I wasnt impressed by it.
kupoartist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chewy)
Hmm I watched Ghost in the Shell the other night. Didnt think much of it at all.. I see where the Matrix all came from thought, and admit some parts are excellent. But overall I wasnt impressed by it.
The film or the series? The Films were and are overly pretentious bullcrap that doesn't drag on for too long and has the occasional nice fight scene. The Series on the other hand, is pretty damned amazing. The characters have different personalities (they're not so dry and dull), the action is great and its all actually interesting. Only 3 eps from the end, and its really quite exciting \o/

Just got Azumanga Daioh vols 2 and 3 in HMV's sale. I note they're selling Spirited Away for £5 :O
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise