This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by juueru_chou)
Prince of Tennis

This is another anime gem that I have harked on about enough, the illustrious and amazing Prince of tennis.

Prince of tennis centers around a young Japanese boy called Echizen Ryoma and charts his life over the period of about a year. The story begins with him joining Seigaku, a junior high school in Kanto province of Japan and tracks the course of his life, from joining the school tennis team through various tournaments and trials.

Along with Ryoma there are a whole host of interesting characters with their own stories to tell and unique personalities and styles, all of which are very likeable and will endear themselves to you. I frequently found myself actually cheering some of the characters on and booing others during the tennis matches they had.

Do not let the fact that this anime series is about tennis put you off, it is a far cry from tennis you might see on the television, with many action packed episodes that will make you stay on the edge of your seat, as well as moments that will make you laugh uncontrolably.
...perhaps you should add in a mention of the 'sugoi' special effects *ho ho ho* and a very good soundtrack. There are also numerous songs sung by the characters/seiyuu that make fun listening.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
...perhaps you should add in a mention of the 'sugoi' special effects *ho ho ho* and a very good soundtrack. There are also numerous songs sung by the characters/seiyuu that make fun listening.
Well, there is that as well, although as far as sound tracks go, I think I prefer Mai hime's.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*nods intelligently*
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, there is that as well, although as far as sound tracks go, I think I prefer Mai hime's.
Have you got the Bleach OST yet? The 'Number One' song just makes me laugh. Extremely cheesy but quite fun.

This has got me thinking about other anime soundtracks *has quite a few*, I've been listening to my AMV playlists mostly lately but think I shall go back through and remind myself of the good'ens.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:eek: why didn't i see this earlier?!

can i join????

i GREW UP with anime

i watched: (fav. ones bolded, ones i also read in red)
sailor moon - hush it. i was young and innocent back then.
cardcaptor sakura
dragon ball
detective conan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sakura wars (boring junk)
samurai x :cool:
el hazard (i think that's what it's called?)
fushigi yuugi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it SOOO much
DORAEMON!!!!! - absolute classic!!
final fantasy
the other detective one - only know the chinese name
rama 1/2
hayao miyazaki ones - laputa, totoro, kiki, spirited away, princess mononoke, pom poko, nausicaa, fireflies, porco rosso, whisper of the heart, howl's moving castle - watched 10 billion time!!

and many other ones...can't remember now :p:
UpliftMof0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wahey!! I want to join, Anime = teh s3x
Series, if you are a hardcore otaku then you need to go here: www.shoujo-net.com
Its been around for a number of years but its new format is still in its infancy, the founder/designer has a real flare for web graphics (and no it isnt my site, a good friends) and the place has a real nice feel to it, its quite a small community at the moment (due to the forums being hacked ack -_-) but everyones real cool. Be warned, this place isnt for your naru-tards (naruto retards, if you didnt get it) but for those who would consider themselves 'hardcore' otaku fans.
Anyhow enough friendly promotion :P
I Loves my anime but due to exams at the moment my current titles is very low:
Yakitate! JApan
Bleach
Naruto (ooh contradiction lol)
Mahoroba ~Heartful DAys~
You see? its an incredibly short list. Tell me some of you guys have seen kgne (kimi ga nozomu eien)?? Its one of the greatest anime titles ever, 12 episodes of worldclass story. I'm not sure where you might find it as it was licensed (but as far as Im aware has not been released).
I used to work in the fnasubbing business but like I said before my exams have forced me to slow down on that front. I used to work for LunarAnime (that was another reason, Lunar dont put credits into their anime titles - which sucked and made no sense 0.o) IF you were wondering. I used to subscribe to Newtype USA but as a fansub fan myself it was always far behind anything I was interested in. Anyhow, I wanna join this society!
Narsha
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i grew up watching animes too!!!

sailor moon
wedding peach

and there were loads more but I watched them in korea so i don't know their english names.. but i love animes!!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
howl's moving castle - watched 10 billion time!!
You liked it then?

I've known, read (repeatedly numerous times a year) and loved the book since I was young so was very skeptical about the film when I heard about it.
When I saw it I was pretty disapointed. I'd expected it to be different but the plot was so far gone from the original story I think it would've worked much better if they hadn't used the book as reference at all! I'm not sure then if it's because I know the story so well and the film was so different but it all seemed to connect oddly and I wasn't sure whether the plot made much sense. Ah well...

I think it probably would've come across better also if I hadn't been watching it with my mother (also a book fan) who has never watched anime so I felt a bit awkward as well. Blah.

(Original post by UpliftMof0)
Tell me some of you guys have seen kgne (kimi ga nozomu eien)?? Its one of the greatest anime titles ever, 12 episodes of worldclass story. I'm not sure where you might find it as it was licensed (but as far as Im aware has not been released).
I watched it when it was first released but you're right it's been licensed by ADV I believe, as has Akane Maniax which was a bizarre spin off (I've only seen one episode of it).
I thought it was fairly good but I never understood why it was classed by many as 'one of the greatest anime titles ever'! *shrugs*
Still, I'd like to see it again, but unfortunately those were the days before I started keeping *cough* the majority of series that I watched.

Ah- I just wanted to check and turns out I was totally wrong about ADV, which confused me as I rememebered an announcement about the series and was sure animesuki had taken all their links down. On further investigation, it was Media Factory (the production company) that demanded that the torrents were taken down.

I'm actually quite surprised then that the series has not been licensed. Interesting.

I used to work in the fnasubbing business but like I said before my exams have forced me to slow down on that front. I used to work for LunarAnime (that was another reason, Lunar dont put credits into their anime titles - which sucked and made no sense 0.o) IF you were wondering. I used to subscribe to Newtype USA but as a fansub fan myself it was always far behind anything I was interested in. Anyhow, I wanna join this society!
That's very interesting, and Lunar is a good group *has been following their Bleach releases*. What job did you do?
I've been wondering about joining a manga scanlation group to do editing but am dithering because it'll doubtless be very time consuming. I need to make up my mind!

Just had a look at your friend's site. As you say, it looks good and appears to have some interesting content.
UpliftMof0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
I rememebered an announcement about the series and was sure animesuki had taken all their links down. On further investigation, it was Media Factory (the production company) that demanded that the torrents were taken down.
Oh yea, I remember that! That was a really unusual situation as in it had never happened before. Surpising that Anime Factory actually got off their asses and did something about fansubbing!

(Original post by Egan1)
That's very interesting, and Lunar is a good group *has been following their Bleach releases*. What job did you do?
I've been wondering about joining a manga scanlation group to do editing but am dithering because it'll doubtless be very time consuming. I need to make up my mind!

Just had a look at your friend's site. As you say, it looks good and appears to have some interesting content.
You should sign up to the forums. because of the unfortunate events i mentioned before (hacking etc) its still very much in its infancy. And of course Edge (the founder, my friend) is always looking for people to write content/articles etc, you might be able to join the team!

Back to Fansubbing, I was a timer primarily, i.e. making sure that the subs showed at the right time etc. But before I left I was getting much more into editing. which is basically turnning your translators engrish into 'english' :P I too want to move into editing for scanlation groups, but my extreme lackage in the image-editing department (I did have photoshop CS but a hard drive re-format left me without, I dont trust any softwarez sites enough to get a cracked version, which leaves me with the option of saving up the pennies. unless someone still happens to have the isntall file for photoshop (7 and up - lol plugging it!!!) anyhow.

Certainly Timing is one of the most tedious jobs in the fansubbing group, editing is less so as it involves actual though (i.e. does it fit the character, will this line fit into the space available etc) and similar things apply to scanlations.

Something I get annoyed at is that Lunar's editing of Bleach has been quite frankly terrible. Im spotting so many mistakes recently and - no offense - but the americanised slang that they have given kimimaro is kind of annoying. However Its a great series and I dread the day it gets licensed.

Im dissapointed with naruto at the moment, its pure filler seeing as how the anime cought up with the manga (almost unbelievable that!) and now its three years (basically a whole season at least I'd guess) of Naruto, sakura, and whatshis name, frog pervert, the sannin guy??? meh you get the idea. lol although to be fair the new girl character has brought a little intrigue into it.

I need to catch up on the Air TV series, I watched the first few episodes and although slow i quite enjoyed it. Theres a batch torrent out there somewhere isnt there?

ooh anime news! well its actually manga news but it can go here:
Tokyo Pop have set up in the UK!! http://www.tokyopop.com/uk/

DIRECT QUOTE FROM SITE:
"From the beginning, Ottakar's has been a strong supporter of TOKYOPOP Manga in the U.K. Through staging prominent displays in most locations and providing in-store magazines that review new titles and promote manga awareness, Ottakar's has proven that they wholly embrace the graphic novel culture sweeping the U.K.

Look for TOKYOPOP Manga store displays at an Ottakar's near you, or visit their website to find out more! "

oh and a little question, are any of you guys got plans to go to ayacon 5 this year? Its a great big anime convention, I think the biggest in the UK go here for more info:
http://www.ayacon.org.uk/

w00t.
Mr_Pedantic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Off the top of my head:
Bleach
Hellsing
Evangellion
Macross Plus
Akira
Black jack
Legend of the Four Kings
Fist of the North Star
Perfect Blue
Urotsukidoji
Love Hina
Hikaru No Go
Nina Scoll
Gunslinger Girl
Plus more
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Just watched the latest Naruto episode and I have to say that this filler is not looking as bad as some of the other ones.

Spoiler:
Show
There are definitely some very interesting ninjas in the rice country, I especially like the Earth nin, his ultimate jutsu is quite something, it is almost a pity that we didn't get to see anyone hit by it
gaming_goddess
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just got Serial Experiments Lain for my birthday and it rocks! It's a very cool series similar to Eva unfortunatly though Lain came first so i have to think that Eva stole sum bits from lain But besides that they are both very cool!

Loving the chosen logo juueru_chou <--btw y did u change ur name? Just curious.

Lain-kun kimochi kawaii desu (i hope i typed that rite :rolleyes: )
Attached files
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by gaming_goddess)
I just got Serial Experiments Lain for my birthday and it rocks! It's a very cool series similar to Eva unfortunatly though Lain came first so i have to think that Eva stole sum bits from lain But besides that they are both very cool!

Loving the chosen logo juueru_chou <--btw y did u change ur name? Just curious.

Lain-kun kimochi kawaii desu (i hope i typed that rite :rolleyes: )
I changed by name because I wanted to be a Japanese butterfly jewel rather and n Elvish one.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You should sign up to the forums. because of the unfortunate events i mentioned before (hacking etc) its still very much in its infancy. And of course Edge (the founder, my friend) is always looking for people to write content/articles etc, you might be able to join the team!
Heh, well I don’t know about writing articles but I’ll certainly join the forum, though my visits will most likely be sporadic.

Back to Fansubbing, I was a timer primarily, i.e. making sure that the subs showed at the right time etc. But before I left I was getting much more into editing. which is basically turnning your translators engrish into 'english' :P I too want to move into editing for scanlation groups, but my extreme lackage in the image-editing department (I did have photoshop CS but a hard drive re-format left me without, I dont trust any softwarez sites enough to get a cracked version, which leaves me with the option of saving up the pennies. unless someone still happens to have the isntall file for photoshop (7 and up - lol plugging it!!!) anyhow.
Yes, I’ve got a legitimate version of Photoshop Elements. Would like to have the full programme (though I’m not sure how much more useful it would actually be) but I maintain morals that I wont download films, programmes, music etc (apart from where anime is concerned –‘tis my downfall) and £700 is a lot of money for a computer programme. Pfft!

But as I say, I have Elements and I’ve read up now on an editors job and reckon I could probably do it, it’s just taking the step to dedicate myself to a group! *wibble*

Certainly Timing is one of the most tedious jobs in the fansubbing group, editing is less so as it involves actual though (i.e. does it fit the character, will this line fit into the space available etc) and similar things apply to scanlations.
What Video editing programme do you have/use? I’ve wanted to try making an AMV for a long time now but again come the problems with expensive programmes and a refusal on my part to download a dodgy version. Perhaps I should see whether I can find the Elements version of Premiere. Hmmm…

Something I get annoyed at is that Lunar's editing of Bleach has been quite frankly terrible. Im spotting so many mistakes recently and - no offense - but the americanised slang that they have given kimimaro is kind of annoying. However Its a great series and I dread the day it gets licensed.
Indeed. Hopefully it’ll be some time before that happens (Naruto lasted for a good few years before being bought) but you never know. When my anime obsession started I used to stop watching a series when it was licensed but that’s gone to hell! As long as the subbers keep subbing I’ll keep watching. : )
But as you say, I really hope they’ll leave Bleach be for as long as possible. It’s probably my favourite series that I’m currently following, but then I’ve dropped most stuff during the last few months and intend to keep back up to date with everything during my lovely long holidays (my last exam is Wednesday –then I’m done –Yosh!).

Im dissapointed with naruto at the moment, its pure filler seeing as how the anime cought up with the manga (almost unbelievable that!) and now its three years (basically a whole season at least I'd guess) of Naruto, sakura, and whatshis name, frog pervert, the sannin guy??? meh you get the idea. lol although to be fair the new girl character has brought a little intrigue into it.
Hmmm…I didn’t like her so much, but I haven’t watched this weeks yet (was waiting for my sister to get back from work).
I refuse to read the manga about the anime, so are you saying it’s pretty much up to date? I’m sure it’s much further ahead is it not?

I also haven’t been so ‘into’ Naruto at the moment. For some reason this last plot arc has failed to excite me as much as usual.

I need to catch up on the Air TV series, I watched the first few episodes and although slow i quite enjoyed it. Theres a batch torrent out there somewhere isnt there?
I’m sure there is. I also saw the first few of that, but as I say, I’ve only really been watching Bleach and Naruto properly for a while. Once my brother is also home I will get all the series we were watching before and catch up

(Original post by UpliftMof0
ooh anime news! well its actually manga news but it can go here:
Tokyo Pop have set up in the UK!! [url
)

http://www.tokyopop.com/uk/[/url]
Whoot! Thanks for that. I wonder if they’ll do a free manga magazine like they do for the Americans. Hmmm…probably not yet but one can always hope.

oh and a little question, are any of you guys got plans to go to ayacon 5 this year? Its a great big anime convention, I think the biggest in the UK go here for more info:
http://www.ayacon.org.uk/

w00t.
My sister had told me she thought there was a big one in London this year but maybe she was getting them mixed up.
Warwick is quite a distance to get up to and it’d be a costly weekend so I doubt I’ll attend but it is tempting and I’m sure it’d be lots of fun. Are you heading there?

I changed by name because I wanted to be a Japanese butterfly jewel rather and n Elvish one.
Heh, name changes are always so confusing. Initially in the older days of the forum there was another anime guy I used to talk to (there wasn't many of us otakus back then!) and he ended up changing his name something like 3 times! Hard to keep up!
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Egan1)
Heh, name changes are always so confusing. Initially in the older days of the forum there was another anime guy I used to talk to (there wasn't many of us otakus back then!) and he ended up changing his name something like 3 times! Hard to keep up!
I have changed it once in 16 months!
UpliftMof0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
What Video editing programme do you have/use? I’ve wanted to try making an AMV for a long time now but again come the problems with expensive programmes and a refusal on my part to download a dodgy version. Perhaps I should see whether I can find the Elements version of Premiere. Hmmm…
Well, for editing anime all you need is notepad. for timing and typesetting etc, you need a program called substation alpha (its an industry basic tbh) its free but hard to find as the person who created it has since died (in internet terms anyway) and so its quite a trek to find. The only other program I use for fansubbing is virtualdub (another fansub indistry basic) which is freeware also. Its fantastic (great for watching half downloaded videos etc) and along with avery lees subtitler plug-in it allows me to check my timing (virtual dub comes with all sorts of useful plug-ins to add effects to videos, such as subtitles, blur, screen parsing etc). If you really want to edit stuff and dont mind dedicating your time to learning some coding then adobe (i think) after effects is a good program (but its not free unlike the others).

(Original post by Egan1)
Indeed. Hopefully it’ll be some time before that happens (Naruto lasted for a good few years before being bought) but you never know. When my anime obsession started I used to stop watching a series when it was licensed but that’s gone to hell! As long as the subbers keep subbing I’ll keep watching. : )
Nope! you're absolutely right it used to be almost 100 chapters behind. I dont follow the manga either (though i have the first volume on my computer - scanlation) but i'm basing my information on my friend who does lossely follow the manga.

(Original post by Egan1)
Hmmm…I didn’t like her so much, but I haven’t watched this weeks yet (was waiting for my sister to get back from work).
Consider yourself lucky that your siblings appreciate your love of anime, my two elder brothers just laugh (they're probably right lol) at my hobbies.

(Original post by Egan1)
I also haven’t been so ‘into’ Naruto at the moment. For some reason this last plot arc has failed to excite me as much as usual.
I'd tend to agree with you on that one, I've really only been keeping up for the sake of keeping up (its naruto after all XD) Have you seen the movie - the snow country one?)

(Original post by Egan1)
My sister had told me she thought there was a big one in London this year but maybe she was getting them mixed up.
Warwick is quite a distance to get up to and it’d be a costly weekend so I doubt I’ll attend but it is tempting and I’m sure it’d be lots of fun. Are you heading there?
It was my original plan but I just got a new job and unfortunatly i booked out all my holiday time for other excursions, and as you said it was a little to expensive for me, I'm already paying for two holidays this summer XD
gaming_goddess
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's a cool reason to change ur name but true Egan1 i try and keep my same name in all the forumns I've signed up to and all accounts and stuff
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
It has just occurred to me that I haven't asked what people's favourite opening/closing theme is.

Mine would probably be Kanashimi wo yasashisa ni by Little by little (the 3rd Naruto opening) although I also like It's only a fairy tale from mai hime (not an opening or closing theme, but still a really nice song).
UpliftMof0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It has just occurred to me that I haven't asked what people's favourite opening/closing theme is.

Mine would probably be Kanashimi wo yasashisa ni by Little by little (the 3rd Naruto opening) although I also like It's only a fairy tale from mai hime (not an opening or closing theme, but still a really nice song).
The opening theme tune to jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu (is that spelt right?)Is soo cool! and the opening credits to accompany it are hilarious, the whole series is awesome, another series for my 'todo' list this summer XD

oh and it occred to me, will I get one of those anime society logos to add to my name?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
The opening theme tune to jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu (is that spelt right?)Is soo cool! and the opening credits to accompany it are hilarious, the whole series is awesome, another series for my 'todo' list this summer XD

oh and it occred to me, will I get one of those anime society logos to add to my name?
if you join then you will. go to User CP > group membership >anime society and apply for membership there.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (49)
73.13%
Leave (18)
26.87%

Watched Threads