Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla*)
    Nyah nyah nyah We have an anime and manga soc at my uni, although sadly I can't joined it coz it clashes with some other socs that I've signed up for.
    Bradford has an Anime and Cult TV Scoiety, but i've not joined.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? You should! :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Manga's also a film company or something, but I didn't listen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marisad_uk)
    what did you think of Evangelion, first full series I watched, and it is still one of my favourties:king:

haven;t seen kiki's delivery yet,, i am going to a friends anime movie marathon soon and they will prob show it then, sounds good stuff

what is "gravitation" about/like? Might it be worth me getting?
    I thought Evangelion was very good, actually. I was dubious at first, because it was basically the first Anime I ever watched, but it surprised me in that there was so much depth in comparison to all the Western equivalents (Disney, mainly). The character development is extremely complex, and there's a lot of dark psychological exploration. Although it gets a little surreal - I thought the End of Evangelion just became too out of it.

Still, I found that a scene depicting the chronic depression of the protagonist being suddenly interrupted by two enormous robots standing up and punching each other like a fight scene from the original Batman series a touch annoying. It's definitely not an Anime for children - but what adults genuinely like robot fighting scenes that evoke Power Rangers? :confused: Like Gundam; I always thought the Mecha scenes were a cute but slightly irritating distraction.

Gravitation ... hmmm ... Gravitation. :hmmmm: Well, it's a sugary Anime series centred around a 19-year-old called Schuichi who's desperate to become a pop star. It follows him and the other characters as they develop. It's sweet, but, again, it's still quite psychologically heavyweight. But what I should tell you is that it's a Shonen-Ai/Yaoi series - the true subject matter of the series is Schuichi's chaotic relationship with a male novelist.

You don't need to get it, in fact. I shouldn't do this, but here's a link to episode 1, and on the same site you can find all 13 episodes:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...tion-episode-1

ReputationRep:
    Why not? You should! :p:
    was actually just considering it :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Juno)
    Manga's also a film company or something, but I didn't listen
    Indeed. And it's the fact that 'Manga' (the company) produces anime that causes most of the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Indeed. And it's the fact that 'Manga' (the company) produces anime that causes most of the confusion.
    their ads suck:eviltongu
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    their ads suck:eviltongu
    What are they like? I haven't seen them

ReputationRep:
    Neither have I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    was actually just considering it :p:
    Well, go on, you know you want to joiiiiinn it very badly. :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Now that I'm in an anime society, I'm constantly being recommended new anime and manga which sound great, but I haven't go the money to buy any of them :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Aww there, there. You can always borrow it from someone who owns it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's only my second week here, I doubt anyone will trust me with their DVDs and books until they know me better. Untill then, I'll have to re-read my old ones.

ReputationRep:
    Or how about checking your uni libraries if they have any animes or mangas? They might have them, you knowwww.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Or how about checking your uni libraries if they have any animes or mangas? They might have them, you knowwww.
    The library doesn't. The university book shop does (though it took me a while to find, it was listed under 'teenage fiction' rather than 'graphic novels'). Even then it was only book one of a series I already have, or book 3 of an interesting looking series, but no book 1 or 2

ReputationRep:
    Next one for you (and last, I think). Same film, same basically unimaginitive version of the song (though it's slightly slowed down): A****aka and San...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/01-a****...san-1-mp3.html

Btw, AJ, what's the avatar from?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anthony Arundel)
    Next one for you (and last, I think). Same film, same basically unimaginitive version of the song (though it's slightly slowed down): A****aka and San...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/01-a****...san-1-mp3.html

Btw, AJ, what's the avatar from?
    Elven Lied. It's pretty scary, for an anime. Especially the first few minutes, very violent...

That music file won't work for me

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you guys and gals going to the London Expo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    What are they like? I haven't seen them
    sh*t:wtf?:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by chingaling)
    Are any of you guys and gals going to the London Expo?
    I wanted too, but it's too far, and I expect I'll have assignments by then

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.