Will i have student finance support for study medicine as second degree?

Watch
hila24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello, i am 24 years old european student living with parents in england. I have settlement status as well. I have done my undergraduate degree biomedical science and currently doing masters in biomedical science. For both i have recieved student tuition finance loan but no maintaince loan or maintaince grant. Next year 2022 i hopefully study medicine Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery degree 6 years (5 years for graduate students like me) in scotland (university of edinburgh) will i be able to get tuition fees loan or maintaince loan or maintaince grant? bcz i want to move to scotland next year for study medicine. Please anybody answer as soon as possible. Thanks in advance
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by hila24)
Hello, i am 24 years old european student living with parents in england. I have settlement status as well. I have done my undergraduate degree biomedical science and currently doing masters in biomedical science. For both i have recieved student tuition finance loan but no maintaince loan or maintaince grant. Next year 2022 i hopefully study medicine Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery degree 6 years (5 years for graduate students like me) in scotland (university of edinburgh) will i be able to get tuition fees loan or maintaince loan or maintaince grant? bcz i want to move to scotland next year for study medicine. Please anybody answer as soon as possible. Thanks in advance
Hi Hila, will this be Graduate Entry Medicine? Are you only moving to Scotland for the purpose of studying? Can you confirm you have EU Settled Status?
Thanks, Isaac
hila24
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Hila, will this be Graduate Entry Medicine? Are you only moving to Scotland for the purpose of studying? Can you confirm you have EU Settled Status?
Thanks, Isaac
Hello Mr Isaac, Thanks for your reply.
1- it is not a graduate entry, full 6 years course where graduate people can skip 3rd year.
2- I will be only moving to scotland for study medicine
3- yes i have settlement status
I have heard that I will not be able to have tuition fees support, only maintainence loan.
What shall i do? How i can cover my tuition fees? it is around 9500 and now my parents are saying to forget about study medicine. I have done my first degree because i have been told to do that because i could’t apply directly to medicine. And the masters i chose to do so i can study during this pandemic meanwhile i apply for medicine for next year.
Please if you have any idea let me know
Thanks 😔
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello Mr Isaac, Thanks for your reply.
1- it is not a graduate entry, full 6 years course where graduate people can skip 3rd year.
2- I will be only moving to scotland for study medicine
3- yes i have settlement status
I have heard that I will not be able to have tuition fees support, only maintainence loan.
What shall i do? How i can cover my tuition fees? it is around 9500 and now my parents are saying to forget about study medicine. I have done my first degree because i have been told to do that because i could’t apply directly to medicine. And the masters i chose to do so i can study during this pandemic meanwhile i apply for medicine for next year.
Please if you have any idea let me know
Thanks 😔
Can you please provide the full exact course name and university name. Will it be an undergraduate medicine course?
Thanks, Isaac
hila24
Rep:
?
Can you please provide the full exact course name and university name. Will it be an undergraduate medicine course?
Thanks, Isaac
yes sir MBChB medicine (6 year programme) it is an undergraduate course and the university name is “university of edinburgh” in scotland. And i live in england London.
Thanks sir
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yes sir MBChB medicine (6 year programme) it is an undergraduate course and the university name is “university of edinburgh” in scotland. And i live in england London.
Thanks sir
Previous study does not affect eligibility for Graduate Entry Medicine but it does for undergraduate medicine.

This means you will only be eligible for a Maintenance Loan for an undergraduate medicine course, you will have to self fund the tuition fee. This is based on you having settled status, you will be classed as a home student.
Thanks, Isaac
hila24
Rep:
?
Previous study does not affect eligibility for Graduate Entry Medicine but it does for undergraduate medicine.

This means you will only be eligible for a Maintenance Loan for an undergraduate medicine course, you will have to self fund the tuition fee. This is based on you having settled status, you will be classed as a home student.
Thanks, Isaac
Dear sir, on their website is written
Home-Scotland £1820
Home-RUK £9250
Overseas/international/EU £33700

so how much would be for me?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Dear sir, on their website is written
Home-Scotland £1820
Home-RUK £9250
Overseas/international/EU £33700

so how much would be for me?
For the Tuition Fee, you will be classed as a UK home student so should pay the £9250 fees but you will need to discuss that with the university and you have have to show them you have settled status.
Thanks, Isaac
hila24
Rep:
?
For the Tuition Fee, you will be classed as a UK home student so should pay the £9250 fees but you will need to discuss that with the university and you have have to show them you have settled status.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you very much for your help sir. Have a nice evening.
Hilary
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you very much for your help sir. Have a nice evening.
Hilary
You're welcome. I hope you have a lovely evening too.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads