The Student Room Group

Birthday in Freshers week

Hi, I’m a bit nervous about my birthday this year as I will be turning 19 near the start of freshers week and obviously I won’t know the people that well and am not expecting them to buy me any gifts at all but wondered how do I tell people it’s my birthday casually ?

Scroll to see replies

i guess you could invite people out for a drink for the occasion or something like that? i'm sure in freshers people will be looking for an excuse to have a party even if you're a stranger
omg same!! tbh I think it would be really fun - especially if you wear a badge then you'd meet loads of people saying happy birthday
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m a bit nervous about my birthday this year as I will be turning 19 near the start of freshers week and obviously I won’t know the people that well and am not expecting them to buy me any gifts at all but wondered how do I tell people it’s my birthday casually ?

There will likely be conversations early on about how old people are, you can just say then.
I wouldn't expect much from it though, especially as you don't know these people. Birthdays get very boring as an adult, and then after turning 21 noone really celebrates anymore.
Option A- cheap quiz/board game/cupcake party filmed on phone
Option B- Zoom family bash complete with old songs, black and white movies and dances
Option C- private low key birthday do full of brownies, wine and poker etc
Option D- do nothing
It was my flatmate's birthday the day we moved in in freshers...she put cake in the kitchen with a note saying it was her birthday and we could all have some. Entirely casual and low-key but we all appreciated it, and wished them happy birthday. More than happened for most the other birthdays tbh :lol:

You’ll find a way to naturally squeeze it into a convo.

If not you can just come out & say it. Flip the situation, no one in your hall will want to be the person stopping you celebrating... most people in your flat will probably quite happily have birthday drinks with you.
Reply 7
Original post by cactussalad
omg same!! tbh I think it would be really fun - especially if you wear a badge then you'd meet loads of people saying happy birthday

True ! I didn’t think of it like that! I suppose it worries me a bit because it’s my first birthday away from home and it’s going to be with people I don’t really know that well
Reply 8
Original post by L-K
There will likely be conversations early on about how old people are, you can just say then.
I wouldn't expect much from it though, especially as you don't know these people. Birthdays get very boring as an adult, and then after turning 21 noone really celebrates anymore.

Yeah true, I think I’ll just try and drop it into the conversation, and no I definately am not expecting anything from them as I’m not going to know them very well anyway! It would be nice just to go out or have a little thing in the halls :smile:
True ! I didn’t think of it like that! I suppose it worries me a bit because it’s my first birthday away from home and it’s going to be with people I don’t really know that well

I get that - it would be my first one as well. thing is as its in freshers week you could celebrate early with your family and home friends and then again with the people you meet at uni
Original post by mnot
You’ll find a way to naturally squeeze it into a convo.

If not you can just come out & say it. Flip the situation, no one in your hall will want to be the person stopping you celebrating... most people in your flat will probably quite happily have birthday drinks with you.

That’s true yeah, I’m not expecting anything huge at all but I’d love to do just some drinks and if people are up for it then a night at the union or something :smile:
I wouldn't worry too much.
One of the icebreakers my uni provided was to fill out the paper with everyones birthday on :colondollar: maybe yours will have something similar, but it'll likely come up in conversations as well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tinygirl96
Option A- cheap quiz/board game/cupcake party filmed on phone
Option B- Zoom family bash complete with old songs, black and white movies and dances
Option C- private low key birthday do full of brownies, wine and poker etc
Option D- do nothing

Defo not option D haha! I think I’d just cry all day if I did nothing. I’ll do something with my family the week before we go but it would be nice just to have some drinks and do a little something with my new flat mates :smile:
Original post by cactussalad
I get that - it would be my first one as well. thing is as its in freshers week you could celebrate early with your family and home friends and then again with the people you meet at uni

Yeah I think that’ll be the best. I’ll do a bigger thing with my home friends and stuff and something smaller at uni :smile: which uni are you hoping to go?
Original post by Chronoscope
I wouldn't worry too much.
One of the icebreakers my uni provided was to fill out the paper with everyones birthday on :colondollar: may yours will have something similar, but it'll likely come up in conversations as well.

Ahh lovely, that’s defo put my mind at rest a bit haha! I’ll just try and casually drop it into the convo :smile:
Daughter turned 19 early september and so did some others in the flat before term time and on holidays. They are doing half birthdays to make it fair :smile:
Defo not option D haha! I think I’d just cry all day if I did nothing. I’ll do something with my family the week before we go but it would be nice just to have some drinks and do a little something with my new flat mates :smile:

Literally in freshers week most people are just guzzling glens vodka every night. Having a birthday is the perfect excuse to make the night a little more interesting.
Ooh fun. I forget to add option five bingo, ice cream bowls; photoshoot and a takeaway supper. Other good options include games, disco balls, dance music, piñata, pizza, streamers and lots of nice tasty cake. Drinks might be in order too. You can even sit by a warm toasty fire, munching marshmallows, and doing your nails etc as well. Alternatively the idea of a picture themed game sounds nice. There's Dobble. Or Pictionary. Charades is good.
Original post by mnot
Literally in freshers week most people are just guzzling glens vodka every night. Having a birthday is the perfect excuse to make the night a little more interesting.

Haha brilliant! Am genuinely so excited for it all, this was just my little hiccup but you’ve put my mind at rest a bit !
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Daughter turned 19 early september and so did some others in the flat before term time and on holidays. They are doing half birthdays to make it fair :smile:

Oh lovely that sounds great! We normally make a big thing of birthdays at home so having one where I don’t really know anyone is quite a big thing for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending