The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im not entirely sure, but i doubt it because the nearest plate to use the is the mid atlantic ridge. the two plates that form this mid-atlantic ridge are drifting apart. this means that the plates don't come together and form the tension that is suddenly release which happened in the current tsunami.
Reply 2
Keso is right, we're too far from any plates for anything like that to happen to us.
The only "extreme" weather condition i've heard of us getting in the UK is the occasional mild tornado. By mild I mean very mild.
Reply 3
There were earthquakes in the Manchester in 2002, one of them was strong enough to wake me up. A few people reported cracks in their walls etc. Most of Britian is a long way from a fault though so I doubt it could ever happen. I think the worst we have ever had was the Tornados in Devon in 1987.
Reply 4
williams1975
:confused: God I am so, frighten does it dampen our faith in God??, I am glad we are helping altogether,unity is a very rare thing ,what we are doing now i hope the terrorists wake up and see how the us the democracy world and a good warm generosity and humanity. :smile:

Yes unfortunately it could.
There is currently part of one of the canary islands about the size of the isle of man slipping into the sea. WHEN this falls into the sea (such as if it is triggered by an eruption of a local volcano) the resultant tsunami will travel throught the atlantic, it will devestate the Eastern coast of the USA and also the southern coast of England.
Worrying scientists say that the volcano which would dislogdge the piece of land is overdue for an erruption.
Reply 5
Daveo
Yes unfortunately it could.
There is currently part of one of the canary islands about the size of the isle of man slipping into the sea. WHEN this falls into the sea (such as if it is triggered by an eruption of a local volcano) the resultant tsunami will travel throught the atlantic, it will devestate the Eastern coast of the USA and also the southern coast of England.
Worrying scientists say that the volcano which would dislogdge the piece of land is overdue for an erruption.

I read about this, I had no idea it would effect the UK though. In geographical terms though overdue an erruption probably means some time in the next 100,000 years or so dosn't it?
Reply 6
lessthanthree
i thought the one on lanzarote wasn't due for about another 20 years?

If its 20 years then thats in our life time :frown:
Reply 7
If a meteorite lands in the atlantic I'm sure we'll get a bit wet too.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
I read about this, I had no idea it would effect the UK though. In geographical terms though overdue an erruption probably means some time in the next 100,000 years or so dosn't it?

Actually I just checked the article, basically it could happen anytime from about now to the next 150 years give or take.
Reply 9
Gimp
If a meteorite lands in the atlantic I'm sure we'll get a bit wet too.

Not me :biggrin: I'm inland. Unless its bloody huge, in which case we're all buggered.
Reply 10
Daveo
Actually I just checked the article, basically it could happen anytime from about now to the next 150 years give or take.

Argh well there is a lighter side of it, thats the end of George Bush and his regime.

Maybe the rest of the east coast Americans can move to Australia or other parts of the USA which are not inhabited. I am guessing pretty much all the east coast cities will be under water?
Reply 11
amazingtrade
Argh well there is a lighter side of it, thats the end of George Bush and his regime.

Maybe the rest of the east coast Americans can move to Australia or other parts of the USA which are not inhabited. I am guessing pretty much all the east coast cities will be under water?

Yep, relatively fortunately for us the devastation would only be comparable to the current devastation in much of SE asia. (obviously this would still be a catastrophe) But the USA, are directly across the coast and about 5-6 hrs after the tsuanami is created the whole East coast of the USA would be devasted a few miles inland. (And a lot worse than the current catastrophe.)
Reply 12
Daveo
Yep, relatively fortunately for us the devastation would only be comparable to the current devastation in much of SE asia. (obviously this would still be a catastrophe) But the USA, are directly across the coast and about 5-6 hrs after the tsuanami is created the whole East coast of the USA would be devasted a few miles inland. (And a lot worse than the current catastrophe.)

What are the american government planning to do about it? I know they can't stop it from happening but surely they should have lots of emergency procedures in place to limit the damage to buildings rather than lifes.

How bad it will be for the UK? Does that mean we can finally say good bye to that tacky town of Blackpool? :p:
Whilst talking about natural disasters... isn't there a massive, gigantic vocano that is looong overdue an erruption in an American nature park or something? called Yellowstone I do believe? if this thing goes off, then it'll chuck just enough ash into the atmosphere to kill off a few million people or so. I read about it in National Geographic a while back.
Reply 14
amazingtrade
What are the american government planning to do about it? I know they can't stop it from happening but surely they should have lots of emergency procedures in place to limit the damage to buildings rather than lifes.

How bad it will be for the UK? Does that mean we can finally say good bye to that tacky town of Blackpool? :p:

The USA have known about this threat for the last 10 years and although they acknowledge there is a threat they refuse to do anything about it :eek:

As for the UK, I think ireland might protect much of our West coast. The article mainly made a point of the south coast.
Reply 15
Daveo
The USA have known about this threat for the last 10 years and although they acknowledge there is a threat they refuse to do anything about it :eek:

As for the UK, I think ireland might protect much of our West coast. The article mainly made a point of the south coast.

So it seems in the case of the USA, what goes up quck goes down quick. (since the country didn't even exist 300 years ago).
amazingtrade
So it seems in the case of the USA, what goes up quck goes down quick

Just look at Bill Clinton's pants :biggrin:
amazingtrade
(since the country didn't even exist 300 years ago).

really? wow..........
Reply 18
red665

Haha yep, at least Dubya can manage to keep his on which about all he can do.
Reply 19
red665

LMAO! Thats definately worthy of another gem :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending