The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I forget the details but there is also a glacier in norway that could slide off into the sea creating a tsunami that would destroy all lowlying areas on the East coast of the UK. Apparently global warming is causing the underlying ice to begin to melt with is loosening the friction that holds the glacier in place.
PQ
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/ earthquakes globally in the last 7 days
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/ last 8-30 days

My geography teacher (a Newcastle geology grad) never shuts up about USGS, even when we're not doing tectonics.
Reply 42
williams1975
:confused: God I am so, frighten does it dampen our faith in God??, I am glad we are helping altogether,unity is a very rare thing ,what we are doing now i hope the terrorists wake up and see how the us the democracy world and a good warm generosity and humanity. :smile:

Of course it could happen.

Dear god! It's happening now! Look, over the horizon! *splash*
Reply 43
Mr White
Of course it could happen.

Dear god! It's happening now! Look, over the horizon! *splash*

Perhaps I should worry that both my home address and uni address are within walking distance of the shore and at sea level....
My mum was telling me today that there is evidence of a tsunami hitting the UK about 300 years ago. In some very old churches in South Wales you can still see the marks from how high the water got to.
SciFi25
Well get me i am at pompey uni, right by the sea!! Guess who's going to get washed away?? Yep, thats right, ME!!!! But what the hey, I mean life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease after all!!

You're safe mate. The Isle of Wight protects you from any tsunamis. I feel sorry for the guys living in Ventnor and Blackgang. I think I'd be safe in Ryde, but you never know :eek:
Reply 46
ThunderCat8
You're safe mate. The Isle of Wight protects you from any tsunamis. I feel sorry for the guys living in Ventnor and Blackgang.

I feel sorry for *anyone* living on the Isle of Wight. :wink: :p:
I jest, of course.
elpollodiablouk
I feel sorry for *anyone* living on the Isle of Wight. :wink: :p:
I jest, of course.

Jest not. It sucks down here! I can't wait to leave. February 22nd is still such a long time away! The Island is great until you reach about 16 and then it just gets a bit skanky. As a kid however, its superb!
Reply 48
I still remember the Dudley earthquake '02.. :biggrin:
I remember the earthquake in Manchester as it occured the first day I d visited England.. for the first time. lol
I think it was 5.0R

The worst I ve experienced was the 6.0R earthquake in Athens. (Sep 1999)
Reply 50
According to The Times on Tuesday, a tsunami could "almost certainly" hit Britain. There is strong evidence to suggest that one did, in 1607, setting the development of Cardiff and the surrounding areas back a century.

Assuming that what the paper refers to as "the greatest environmental disaster in British history" was caused by a tsunami, residents of Cardiff are ten times more likely to be killed by a tsunami than a road accident.

The article also states that in low lying areas such as Cardiff and London (my current home), the risk of tsunamis is "not negligible".

Quite interesting, I thought.

Ben
Reply 51
amazingtrade
There were earthquakes in the Manchester in 2002, one of them was strong enough to wake me up. A few people reported cracks in their walls etc. Most of Britian is a long way from a fault though so I doubt it could ever happen. I think the worst we have ever had was the Tornados in Devon in 1987.

There was a tornado in Devon last year. It blew the roof off the church! My bf's friend who is a gardener and did our fence the week before has put "builds tornado-proof fencing" on his business card :biggrin:
Meh, I wouldn't worry so much about tsunamis; there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone Park which is about 300 years overdue for an eruption and will wipe out at least 100,000 Americans straight off, and the dust in the atmosphere will cause massive climate change leading to famine and deaths around the world. Worry about that instead.

Alternatively, live for today, eh :wink:
blissy
There was a tornado in Devon last year. It blew the roof off the church! My bf's friend who is a gardener and did our fence the week before has put "builds tornado-proof fencing" on his business card :biggrin:

Cooooooooooool *really want to see a tornado*
Reply 54
MadNatSci
Cooooooooooool *really want to see a tornado*

it was very small
blissy
it was very small

Who cares? It was a twisty wind thing!

Also small is safer :redface:
Reply 56
The most scary natural problem I was in was the earth quakes in 2002. I was in a lecture at the time and the entire room shook really violently the lecture room went silent for about 2 minutes because we were all in shock.

When we went outside we really expected ot see lots of damage but it was one of the smaller quekes we had in November-December 2002 and it turned out the epicentre of this quake was just half a mile away from the salford campus.

I think that was about 5 on the ritcher scale.

Never been in a proper storm, seen a few gales but thats about it.
Reply 57
OOOOO I flew once!! The wind picked me off my feet for about 3 seconds.. I was like this:

:biggrin:
Reply 58
blissy
OOOOO I flew once!! The wind picked me off my feet for about 3 seconds.. I was like this:

:biggrin:

Lol that made me giggle :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending