pH rainwater Watch

This discussion is closed.
Magix
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

I am taking the pH of rainwater samples and have read that the conductivity of the pH buffers
and the rainwater samples should be the same before calibration and pH readings are taken. Why
is this so?

One way of making the conductivity the same is to add ionic strenght adjusters to the rainwater
samples, but how do I decide which one to use? I have looked at catalogues and they show different
types of ions.

Thanks! Kei
Trevorbastow
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi Kei,

the conductivity of the rainwater and buffers don't need to be the same. You usually aim at having
the pH of the rain water with in the pH of the buffers- usually ph 4 to 7- as rainwater should be a
little acidic. The conductivity measures the salinity of the samples and by adding salts to the
rainwater you'll be changing the rainwater pH.

Cheers

Trevor

"Magix" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] t.com.sg>...
[q1]> Hi,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I am taking the pH of rainwater samples and have read that the conductivity of the pH buffers and[/q1]
[q1]> the rainwater samples should be the same before calibration and pH readings are taken. Why is[/q1]
[q1]> this so?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> One way of making the conductivity the same is to add ionic strenght adjusters to the rainwater[/q1]
[q1]> samples, but how do I decide which one to use? I have looked at catalogues and they show different[/q1]
[q1]> types of ions.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks! Kei[/q1]
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads