The Student Room Group

What should i put as my safeity school?

Hi, I am applying for journalism courses in the UK. However, I am struggling to choose what school to put as a safe choice. Aberystwyth University is the school out of the ones I'm complicating that I want to apply to the most, but they do not have a journalism course. They have a course called media and creative writing which is similar and looks interesting, but I briefly mention pursuing journalism in my personal statement which will probably hurt my chances of getting an offer. However, I don't want to cut out the part about journalism if it could hurt my chances of getting into my first choice. So I'll either apply to Aber while mentioning journalism in my statement, or cut out the part about journalism, or apply somewhere that does have a journalism degree. I am sending my application tomorrow and I am very torn. My other choices are Journalism at Kingston University, or journalism and creative writing at Lincoln University. I am an international student so not very familiar with the UK application process, so I would love some input.
(edited 3 years ago)
Firstly make sure you finalize this decision yourself. It's your future after all. Look at all the entry requirements and ensure you can reach the standards. A safety school should be one you 11o% know you can reach grades for!
Original post by Selma2002
Hi, I am applying for journalism courses in the UK. However, I am struggling to choose what school to put as a safe choice. Aberystwyth University is the school out of the ones I'm complicating that I want to apply to the most, but they do not have a journalism course. They have a course called media and creative writing which is similar and looks interesting, but I briefly mention pursuing journalism in my personal statement which will probably hurt my chances of getting an offer. However, I don't want to cut out the part about journalism if it could hurt my chances of getting into my first choice. So I'll either apply to Aber while mentioning journalism in my statement, or cut out the part about journalism, or apply somewhere that does have a journalism degree. I am sending my application tomorrow and I am very torn. My other choices are Journalism at Kingston University, or journalism and creative writing at Lincoln University. I am an international student so not very familiar with the UK application process, so I would love some input.

Apply tomorrow with 4 choices.

You can add your 5th choice on Track before the deadline.

Don’t sacrifice your PS for your journalism choices for a backup choice.

The key thing for journalism is course accreditation. There’s quite a few accredited courses with lower entry requirements
Original post by Selma2002

Hi @Selma2002

The university is great and has been an unforgettable experience for me, I would recommend using it as your safe choice.

have you got any questions about university life, the University of Lincoln or the city?

Ellie - Media Production Student

Quick Reply

Latest