Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bruhhhhhhhhhhh)
Who wants to join me? 😊
ecolier
:lol:

I'm sure GANFYD will want to. Indeed she has been campaigning for this for a while.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Who wants to join me? 😊
ecolier
In what way do you propose there should be greater transparency?
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Idk abt Sheffield but oxfords pretty transparent with the whole way they outline the process and release statistics etc

I would like them to tell us what ‘holistically’ means more specifically bc many places claim this except we don’t know what aspects they give more weightage for example
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Who wants to join me? 😊
ecolier
All for it but what are you campaigning for :rofl:
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh)
Idk abt Sheffield but oxfords pretty transparent with the whole way they outline the process and release statistics etc

I would like them to tell us what ‘holistically’ means more specifically bc many places claim this except we don’t know what aspects they give more weightage for example
(Original post by becausethenight)
All for it but what are you campaigning for :rofl:
See above quote? Yh I kinda forgot my password and turns out there was a typo in my email address 🤦*♀️
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
lol Dundee
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
See above quote? Yh I kinda forgot my password and turns out there was a typo in my email address 🤦*♀️
Which is why I am no longer the thread starter
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Can I jump on the bandwagon and include dentistry in this campaign too?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You'll need to be really specific - if you look at things like FOIs for example the ones that get the best response are asking for specific things (eg "are PSes scored for 2021 entry, if so please provide scoring sheets and details of scoring for 2021 entry")
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
You'll need to be really specific - if you look at things like FOIs for example the ones that get the best response are asking for specific things (eg "are PSes scored for 2021 entry, if so please provide scoring sheets and details of scoring for 2021 entry")
Yh it’s fair to say I’ve never done anything like this before which is why the first thing I did was tag ecolier so more experienced people would be able to help 😬

I think smth that might help with increasing the specificity will be seeing the reasons for rejections this yr...?
Based on that well be able to focus on the most important ideas?

Plus we’ll have to figure out smth that is effective across all the vastly different med schools...!
No_fixed_abode
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm in too - but not sure what exactly we would like to see? Flow diagrams? so me sort of report form each medical school to be sent to the GMC to outline their procedures?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yh it’s fair to say I’ve never done anything like this before which is why the first thing I did was tag ecolier so more experienced people would be able to help 😬

I think smth that might help with increasing the specificity will be seeing the reasons for rejections this yr...?
Based on that well be able to focus on the most important ideas?

Plus we’ll have to figure out smth that is effective across all the vastly different med schools...!
Have you had a look at FOIs before? Google eg "Imperial A100 FOIs", read through, see what people ask and what gets a good response.
The easiest way to "increase transparency" would be to ping off identical detailed FOIs about selection criteria to each medical school, although they may not answer. If you want 2021 entry data you'll probably have to wait for the cycle to end too, but worth trying now. You could also try emailing the Medical Schools Council but I'm not 100% sure what they could really do.

I believe GANFYD took one uni to the Information Comissioners for a lack of transparency at one point too to get answers!
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also, the more people the better for a campaign?
Would it help to try and get people on medicine threads to have a look at this thread... probably someone with a bit more rep than me 😒
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also, the more people the better for a campaign?
Would it help to try and get people on medicine threads to have a look at this thread... probably someone with a bit more rep than me 😒
Don't bother, that's just spamming the threads.

As you yourself have said, once you guys are in med school, you'll all forget about this
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Don't bother, that's just spamming the threads.

As you yourself have said, once you guys are in med school, you'll all forget about this
Haha the above’s true but hopefully I won’t forget abt this later on
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Can I jump on the bandwagon and include dentistry in this campaign too?
I’m going to take the lack of response as a no then. :ashamed:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Haha the above’s true but hopefully I won’t forget abt this later on
Doubt it tbh*, we have amazing people like @becausethenight, @AnnaBananana, @lifeofamedic etc. but these current med students are 1/100s, 1/1000s of those who asked for help when they applied for medicine on TSR.

Once they have got into med school, people disappear from TSR. That's just a fact of life - we do get it though, med school > TSR of course.

We have a concentration of doctors and med students in the "Current medical students and doctors" forum but most of them do not venture out of there :laugh:

P.S. This message is not an attack on anyone, we all have different priorities and I just chose mine as helping with med admissions.

*I meant - you may not but every other student who signed up here (esp. because of Exeter, Imperial shambles) will.
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Doubt it tbh*, we have amazing people like @becausethenight, @AnnaBananana, @lifeofamedic etc. but these current med students are 1/100s, 1/1000s of those who asked for help when they applied for medicine on TSR.

Once they have got into med school, people disappear from TSR. That's just a fact of life - we do get it though, med school > TSR of course.

We have a concentration of doctors and med students in the "Current medical students and doctors" forum but most of them do not venture out of there :laugh:

P.S. This message is not an attack on anyone, we all have different priorities and I just chose mine as helping with med admissions.

*I meant - you may not but every other student who signed up here (esp. because of Exeter, Imperial shambles) will.
I hope having a more specific thread might help even if not all people interested stick with it the whole way

this was just the result of me trying to channel my frustration from the imperial shambles (Imperial College School of Medicine) into smth good 🤷*♀️😂

do u knwo any other official reps bc I don’t think tagging them would count as spam?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I hope having a more specific thread might help even if not all people interested stick with it the whole way

this was just the result of me trying to channel my frustration from the imperial shambles (Imperial College School of Medicine) into smth good 🤷*♀️😂

do u knwo any other official reps bc I don’t think tagging them would count as spam?
I very, very much doubt that the TSR reps can do anything.

What GANFYD did was the absolute right way of going about things - you'd have to email them, write formal letters to challenge etc.

It has to get to the right people, those with the authority to do something about it.

The TSR reps are usually students who will just relay the information from the powers-that-be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads