The Student Room Group

Are level 3 btecs good as alevels

are level 3 btecs good as alevels?
Depends what you mean.

BTECs are 'vocational' qualifications - they are designed to train you for a specific job or career area, such as Business, Sport, or Heath & Social Care. They can be used alongside A levels, and Universities will accept them in certain combinations and for some courses. BTEC Extended Diplomas are considered to be more 'in depth' and are more useful if you want to go on to further study, but of course the 'one subject' limits you in another way.

However, they are not 'the same as' A levels. They lack academic depth, and do not teach you to write academic essays, or study in an academic way. BTECs are more practical, more about 'applied' knowledge than the theoretical knowledge of A levels.
Short answer: yes
Slightly longer answer: honestly, depends on what you want to do. I want to do medicine for example and like academic, exam heavy subjects so I take 3 A levels. My friend on the other hand wants to study media production and another friend wants to do social work, so for them btecs are better. Both require lots of work, just in different ways and you'll be assessed in different ways!
Original post by ash9080
are level 3 btecs good as alevels?

it really depends on what you want to study at uni, apprenticeships you would like to do etc. Have a look at a few uni websites and read their entry requirements for the course you would consider taking.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Depends what you mean.

BTECs are 'vocational' qualifications - they are designed to train you for a specific job or career area, such as Business, Sport, or Heath & Social Care. They can be used alongside A levels, and Universities will accept them in certain combinations and for some courses. BTEC Extended Diplomas are considered to be more 'in depth' and are more useful if you want to go on to further study, but of course the 'one subject' limits you in another way.

However, they are not 'the same as' A levels. They lack academic depth, and do not teach you to write academic essays, or study in an academic way. BTECs are more practical, more about 'applied' knowledge than the theoretical knowledge of A levels.

im studying btec business and law . do you think i could go and study accounting and finance at uni?
Original post by ash9080
im studying btec business and law . do you think i could go and study accounting and finance at uni?

Which BTECs - Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, National Diploma, Extended Diploma?
And what GCSE Maths grade do you have? I'm assuming you are not taking A level Maths?
Reply 6
Which BTECs - Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, National Diploma, Extended Diploma?
And what GCSE Maths grade do you have? I'm assuming you are not taking A level Maths?

law is a extended certificate and business is a diploma not sure which but its worth the same as two alevels. and i got a 5 in math but if i took the exam i know i could get higher and no i am not doing alevel maths
Three examples below.

Bristol and other Unis at that level are all likely to want high Maths ability at Level 3 (A level/BTEC).
However, other Unis will be more flexible. A Uni like Manchester Met that says 'BTEC Extended Diploma' might accept what you are taking but they wont give all the various possible combinations in their entry requirements - so you'll need to email them with the exact details of what you are taking and ask if they will accept it. Other Unis that take UCAS Points rather than 'grades' - Oxford Brookes as one example - will be much more lenient, but always check the GCSE requirement.

Bristol - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2021/accounting-finance/bsc-accounting-finance/. Will only consider BTEC Extended Diploma 'DDD in Engineering with Distinction in both Maths for Engineering Technicians and Further Maths for Engineering Technicians; or DDD in Applied Science plus A in A-level Mathematics'.

Manchester Met - https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/bsc-accounting-and-finance/ - Pearson BTEC National Extended Diploma DMM, plus GCSE grade C/4 in mathematics or Level 2 functional skills mathematics

Oxford Brookes - https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting-and-finance/ - 104 UCAS points (no subjects specified), GCSE: Mathematics (grade C/4 or above).
Reply 8
Three examples below.

Bristol and other Unis at that level are all likely to want high Maths ability at Level 3 (A level/BTEC).
However, other Unis will be more flexible. A Uni like Manchester Met that says 'BTEC Extended Diploma' might accept what you are taking but they wont give all the various possible combinations in their entry requirements - so you'll need to email them with the exact details of what you are taking and ask if they will accept it. Other Unis that take UCAS Points rather than 'grades' - Oxford Brookes as one example - will be much more lenient, but always check the GCSE requirement.

Bristol - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2021/accounting-finance/bsc-accounting-finance/. Will only consider BTEC Extended Diploma 'DDD in Engineering with Distinction in both Maths for Engineering Technicians and Further Maths for Engineering Technicians; or DDD in Applied Science plus A in A-level Mathematics'.

Manchester Met - https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/bsc-accounting-and-finance/ - Pearson BTEC National Extended Diploma DMM, plus GCSE grade C/4 in mathematics or Level 2 functional skills mathematics

Oxford Brookes - https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting-and-finance/ - 104 UCAS points (no subjects specified), GCSE: Mathematics (grade C/4 or above).

thank you for letting me know i feel relieved that i can go onto study the course at university. also how did you find this information out did you go onto each university's website?
Original post by ash9080
thank you for letting me know i feel relieved that i can go onto study the course at university. also how did you find this information out did you go onto each university's website?

Yup - it really is that simple.

If you are in any doubt about what any Uni will accept, email them and ask before you apply.
List the quals you are doing (full title, make sure you get it totally right) and ask 'is this acceptable for ........' (course).
yes they're worth the same as 3 a levels
Original post by hootdoot04
yes they're worth the same as 3 a levels

In terms of raw UCAS points yes, but for competitive 'top' Universities that want specific grades, they are not 'worth' the same at all. Please read my response above.
In terms of raw UCAS points yes, but for competitive 'top' Universities that want specific grades, they are not 'worth' the same at all. Please read my response above.

so would a combo of a btec and a level not be enough?

Quick Reply

Latest