simplest way to approach the question

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
A frog is at the bottom of a well. It makes leaps of 30cm and slips back 20cm each time. If the well is 5m deep, after how many leaps will it jump out of the well
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A frog is at the bottom of a well. It makes leaps of 30cm and slips back 20cm each time. If the well is 5m deep, after how many leaps will it jump out of the well
I think it’s 50 times idk

I got that by saying that the total progression the frog makes each leap is 10 cm and 10/500cm =50
Podsy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Urmmmm 50? Or is this a trick question where you make me seem dumb because it’s a well and there’s no incline for the frog to climb?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
48 or 49, depending on whether the 30 cm leaps are measured from the front of the frog or the back or somewhere inbetween.

Assuming the frog doesn't tire. and the slippage remains constant.

Because after 47 leaps the frog will have gained 4.7 metres. And on the 48th leap would get to 5 metres. or 5 metres and a bit due to the height of the frog and depending how the 30cm leap measuerment is defined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.93%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.85%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.11%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.04%

Watched Threads