Football Season Ticket Help / Information

Watch this thread
Ammz_123
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know we are living in the corona times and unable to watch football live but i have always wanted to get a season ticket and be able to go watch games live as i am now old enough , i would just like to know your experience on season tickets and if you own one , heck if its even worth getting ??

I heard something about you have to be on a waiting list etc but have minimal information, i am a liverpool fan so if any advice it would be great especially from someone with experience heck even if your a liverpool fan even better!

Thank you
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
If you’re a Liverpool fan, if you get on the list now you might get one within the next 20-30 years.
IanDangerously
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I had a season ticket at Old Trafford but it got to the point where it wasn’t worth it. My last season was £703 plus a mandatory payment of £38 per game for every Cup and UCL/UEL match. I ended up working a lot more often on game days and getting shot of the tickets for midweek games was difficult so I was losing money.

Most of the big clubs have a waiting list for season tickets which has been exacerbated by years of the clubs not caring about fans as long as they get the money. There’s a lot of dead ticket holders and plenty of ticket holders who are alive but support other teams and have never sat in their seats 🙄
Ammz_123
Rep:
(Original post by Mess.)
If you’re a Liverpool fan, if you get on the list now you might get one within the next 20-30 years.
damn i knew it wouldnt be easy but i guess watching from the TV doesn't sound as bad then, any idea how i would get onto this list if there wasnt corona?
Last edited by Ammz_123; 1 year ago
Ammz_123
Rep:
(Original post by IanDangerously)
I had a season ticket at Old Trafford but it got to the point where it wasn’t worth it. My last season was £703 plus a mandatory payment of £38 per game for every Cup and UCL/UEL match. I ended up working a lot more often on game days and getting shot of the tickets for midweek games was difficult so I was losing money.

Most of the big clubs have a waiting list for season tickets which has been exacerbated by years of the clubs not caring about fans as long as they get the money. There’s a lot of dead ticket holders and plenty of ticket holders who are alive but support other teams and have never sat in their seats 🙄
when you did go to the games was the seat you was paying for any good?
that is right because they wouldnt care who comes as long as they get the revenue and money is being made would love to watch games live especially the big derbies. i watched villa vs leeds in 2018 championship when villa lost 3-2 a 2-0 lead and the thrill and joy of goals going in and celebrating live was unexplainable.
Mess.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ammz_123)
damn i knew it wouldnt be easy but i guess watching from the TV doesn't sound as bad then, any idea how i would get onto this list if there wasnt corona?
The list is closed at the moment because the wait is so long. It opens periodically and you have to pay circa £5 a year just to stay on the list.

It’s a great scam tbf.
IanDangerously
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
when you did go to the games was the seat you was paying for any good?
that is right because they wouldnt care who comes as long as they get the revenue and money is being made would love to watch games live especially the big derbies. i watched villa vs leeds in 2018 championship when villa lost 3-2 a 2-0 lead and the thrill and joy of goals going in and celebrating live was unexplainable.
Yeah I liked my seat ... I was in the Stretford end right above the players tunnel. The ends behind the goal are better for atmosphere and the long side seats are quieter and more for just sitting and watching the game. That’s the case in most stadiums.

Nothing beats being there at the ground and celebrating with thousands of people. It’s one thing I’ve really missed badly during the pandemic ... I was only going to a few games a year since 2015 when I was off and could get a ticket but I still miss it!
IanDangerously
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mess.)
The list is closed at the moment because the wait is so long. It opens periodically and you have to pay circa £5 a year just to stay on the list.

It’s a great scam tbf.
These long waiting lists will start shortening drastically in the next few years when the government introduce mandatory photo ID for all fans. When that comes in a huge chunk of currently issued ST cards will be cancelled and redistributed to people on the waiting list.
Mess.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
These long waiting lists will start shortening drastically in the next few years when the government introduce mandatory photo ID for all fans. When that comes in a huge chunk of currently issued ST cards will be cancelled and redistributed to people on the waiting list.
100%.

Out of the circa 15 season holders I know, I think 1 of them have the card in their own name and registered to their address.

Season ticket holders will cause absolute hell at the likes of Liverpool when that comes in as they won’t be able to make that sweet sweet tout money. The club have already shown that ID and phone associated tickets work so there is no going back now.

It’ll be interesting to see just how much the list is cut by when it comes in.
IanDangerously
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mess.)
100%.

Out of the circa 15 season holders I know, I think 1 of them have the card in their own name and registered to their address.

Season ticket holders will cause absolute hell at the likes of Liverpool when that comes in as they won’t be able to make that sweet sweet tout money. The club have already shown that ID and phone associated tickets work so there is no going back now.

They’ll probably have an amnesty where people can switch family members tickets into their own names like we did when it turned out there were thousands of dead people going to the games ... a lot of those people will be on the waiting list to get one in their own name too. 🤣

Liverpool could easily cut their waiting list massively because they only allocate about 28k seats for season tickets. You’ve got 52k seats... why not just sell 40k at the start of the year?

United sell 62k out of 73,800 leaving just enough space for away fans and a handful of tickets for members. In those cup games where the away team gets 9k the members barely get anything.
Ammz_123
Rep:
(Original post by Mess.)
100%.

Is this a good thing for the people who possibly would want a season ticket and like first times? I'm not sure about this sort of thing sorry for the questions lol , but photo ID and that sort doesn't seem like a big problem right , why wouldnt people just use their normal address and name and their own pictures or is this like a sort of loopwhole people would use?
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

It's so obvious at United because of the different coloured season tickets. People with a gold season ticket (held for 10+ years) in their hand studying it trying to locate their seat... One of my uncles lived in Dubai for a few years and kept his season ticket within the family, so anyone who wanted to go just borrowed it and it was left empty for the less appealing games. I'd imagine a lot of people have a similiar arrangement which is why it baffles me United still don't offer a home ticket exchange.

As I moved to London last year (insert joke about a United fan in London here) i've got a difficult choice to make when we're finally allowed back again, as it's unlikely i'll be able to attend midweek games for a while. Being forced to pay £40 for cup games I can't attend really irks me.
Last edited by sr90; 1 year ago
IanDangerously
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sr90)
It's so obvious at United because of the different coloured season tickets. People with a gold season ticket (held for 10+ years) in their hand studying it trying to locate their seat... One of my uncles lived in Dubai for a few years and kept his season ticket within the family, so anyone who wanted to go just borrowed it and it was left empty for the less appealing games. I'd imagine a lot of people have a similiar arrangement which is why it baffles me United still don't offer a home ticket exchange.

As I moved to London last year (insert joke about a United fan in London here) i've got a difficult choice to make when we're finally allowed back again, as it's unlikely i'll be able to attend midweek games for a while. Being forced to pay £40 for cup games I can't attend really irks me.
They were in the process of reintroducing a ticket exchange that would’ve been in place for the start of the 20/21 season. The club should’ve had the foresight to do it when the Viagogo deal ended years back but they never bothered replacing it until the fans forum persistently kicked up a fuss.

When demand started going down there was no benefit for me to having a season ticket anymore. I can pay £30 a year and buy tickets for individual home games when I’m off work ... I’ve got City, Liverpool and Chelsea on my membership the last couple of years plus most of the UEFA away matches I’ve applied for. Imagine that happening 10 years ago?! :eek:
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is this a good thing for the people who possibly would want a season ticket and like first times? I'm not sure about this sort of thing sorry for the questions lol , but photo ID and that sort doesn't seem like a big problem right , why wouldnt people just use their normal address and name and their own pictures or is this like a sort of loopwhole people would use?
Having a season ticket at a club like Utd or Liverpool confers privileges such as the ability to go to away games. Usually, away clubs are allocated 3,000 tickets in the Prem out of 25,000+ ST holders, so a tiny group within a tiny group get to go. Similarly for cup finals. Therefore there's an incentive for people that can't go regularly any more to hold onto their ST and rent it out, so the cost of the ticket is paid (or more for the touts) and the original ticket holder gets to go to the magic cup final when the time comes. Also the family of a deceased person can hold onto the ticket in the original ticket holder's name rather than return it to the club (you usually can't change the name on the ticket) to receive the privileges said deceased person enjoyed.

If you don't have a ST, want one and don't know anyone you can borrow one from, then yes the introduction of ID will help you massively as you will only be able to use the ticket if it's in your name. Though there will likely be an amnesty for the dead people's families to get the tickets in their own name, the tout markets will be completely shut off.

I'm a Tottenham fan and our waiting list was similarly-but-not-quite-as-bad to Liverpool's prior to our new ground being built. Only 500 of about 23,000 STs were being returned per year. Different story with the new ground and 40,000+ STs, sounds like something similar is going on at Utd. Not as gold dust as they used to be.
Last edited by rockrunride; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.55%
They're exactly what I expected (70)