The Student Room Group

Parents pressuring me to marry from Pakistan

Okay as you already know by the question this is a Pakistani problem but basically my dad is pressuring me to marry from Pakistan. I am 23 year old currently studying at uni. This year I will be graduating which means my parents are on my case to say yes to a proposal. The first option my dad gave me was my cousin which I said no to and today he has shown me a few other guys. In all honesty I don’t want to marry from Pakistan at all. I am currently speaking to someone and I have been speaking to him through Instagram for almost 7 months now. We haven’t met yet because of everything that’s going on in the world and also because he lives in a different town which is 4 hours away from me. The problem is I can’t tell my parents about him because I feel like it’s too early, we haven’t even met yet and if I tell my parents they will then start asking me things about him and his family that yet I am still finding out. I told this to the guy I am speaking to and he told me not to worry we will meet soon and then after a few meets if we both feel the same way about each other we will speak to our families. The only issue is my dad is constantly on my case and today he even said to me “marrying someone from the uk is going to be your mistake as marriages don’t last when people marry from here etc” typical I know.. but I really don’t know what to do. My dad isn’t understanding at all and I obviously can’t tell him or my mum about the guy that I am speaking to yet. My dad literally said he’s not gonna speak to me if I don’t accept a proposal as soon as from Pakistan. I really need some advice on what I should do because I feel like I am going to fall into really bad depression with all this going on and I don’t want that

Scroll to see replies

Say no to all proposals, move out at the first opportunity, call the police if necessary.
Reply 2
:eek:I'm Pakistani as well, this situation is heartbreaking.

Personally, if I were in that situation, I'd try to prove to my father that I am independent and mature enough to decide who to marry and when to marry because it should be me who makes this decision of a lifetime.

I do empathise with your father's concerns, he wants the best scenario for you - but forcing good intentions on others is nothing more than an evil act. Marriage is a lot more unstable in the UK, and it's good he understands that, but try to convince him (asking your mother for support as well) to give you just one more year. In which you find a guy (hehe u already have someone) that is hopefully good enough and honest enough for his standards.

I think this is probably one of the only things you could push your father into doing - giving you just a little more time, but agreeing if you can't find someone suitable by then then you will marry your cousin. I know it's not ideal but it's one of the only solutions that will let him protect you in case things go south, so he would probably agree.

I may have left you with more questions than answers, but I wish you the best.
Reply 3
Original post by AKK423
:eek:I'm Pakistani as well, this situation is heartbreaking.

Personally, if I were in that situation, I'd try to prove to my father that I am independent and mature enough to decide who to marry and when to marry because it should be me who makes this decision of a lifetime.

I do empathise with your father's concerns, he wants the best scenario for you - but forcing good intentions on others is nothing more than an evil act. Marriage is a lot more unstable in the UK, and it's good he understands that, but try to convince him (asking your mother for support as well) to give you just one more year. In which you find a guy (hehe u already have someone) that is hopefully good enough and honest enough for his standards.

I think this is probably one of the only things you could push your father into doing - giving you just a little more time, but agreeing if you can't find someone suitable by then then you will marry your cousin. I know it's not ideal but it's one of the only solutions that will let him protect you in case things go south, so he would probably agree.

I may have left you with more questions than answers, but I wish you the best.

The only issue is he’s not very understanding. His point is that I should at least say yes to a proposal from Pakistan because I am 23. He says marriages in the uk don’t last, everyone is now marrying from Pakistan so why can’t you. But I really don’t want to marry from back home. I think if I tell him I need time to see if I can find someone from here he will say this that’s fine but the proposals I have shown you will be gone by then and I won’t have anyone for you to marry” because he keeps saying that and that is why he is getting me to say yes to one from back home as soon as
Lol non-desi are unaware of the struggle.dude its not easy to move out of the desi household and call the police on them lolll.
Just sit them down and have a chat.I know its easy said than done but trust me they are not gonna understand it until you say it out loud and clear.Tell them you're not ready for a marriage yet,tell them how islam gives full authority to the woman to decide their spouse,tell them about all the issues you might face in the pakistan and how you'll have to leave them or if he were to immigrate then it would not be easy for him to settle down and find a job.Just talk to them about this.Atleast for 2 years remain single meet that guy and then ask him send rishta to your house no need to tell your parents how you met bec desi parents do not take online dating seriously
Reply 5
Original post by Polymath18
Lol non-desi are unaware of the struggle.dude its not easy to move out of the desi household and call the police on them lolll.
Just sit them down and have a chat.I know its easy said than done but trust me they are not gonna understand it until you say it out loud and clear.Tell them you're not ready for a marriage yet,tell them how islam gives full authority to the woman to decide their spouse,tell them about all the issues you might face in the pakistan and how you'll have to leave them or if he were to immigrate then it would not be easy for him to settle down and find a job.Just talk to them about this.Atleast for 2 years remain single meet that guy and then ask him send rishta to your house no need to tell your parents how you met bec desi parents do not take online dating seriously

Literally I can’t move out neither can I call the police but as much as I love my parents I feel like they’re being selfish and just wanting to me marry for the sake of their respect oh and my dad also keeps saying another line “I want you to marry a guy from Pakistan from my braadri” like seriously idk what’s wrong with him and he really wants me to marry from back home
I disagree completely with AKK423. You should not accept under any circumstances marrying your cousin or anyone else for that matter if you don't want to. The idea that marriage is somehow more unstable if you marry someone from the UK is completely false. My parents have had marriage problems from as long as I can remember. For them a mix of cultures just didn't work and I know now that I will likely get married to someone raised in the UK compared to someone who was brought up and only knows Pakistan.
Unfortunately there is only one thing you can really do and that is to stand up for yourself. It will be extremely hard in the beginning because we are taught in our culture to obey our parents wishes no matter what but at the end of the day you are the one who will be spending their LIFE with this person. I would get out of the house as soon as possible and shut down the idea that you will get married on your fathers terms. Trust me when I say that this small act of defiance against your parents will help you tremendously for the rest of your life as otherwise they wont stop trying to control you. You will have a degree and likely the job prospects to live independently from thim. Take the opportunity.
If your father or the rest of your family get pushy and try forcing your hand, or you suspect that they might try taking you on a 'holiday' where they may get you married, call the phone number below. It's the forced marriage unit and they help prevent British Nationals from being forced into marriage.
Helpline: 020 7008 0151 (or 0044 20 7008 0151 if you are overseas)
Reply 7
Original post by Aliaaah
The only issue is he’s not very understanding. His point is that I should at least say yes to a proposal from Pakistan because I am 23. He says marriages in the uk don’t last, everyone is now marrying from Pakistan so why can’t you. But I really don’t want to marry from back home. I think if I tell him I need time to see if I can find someone from here he will say this that’s fine but the proposals I have shown you will be gone by then and I won’t have anyone for you to marry” because he keeps saying that and that is why he is getting me to say yes to one from back home as soon as

I know it sounds like I'm repeating myself, and I do apologise for it, but I think, this being something that will decide the next 60 years of your life, and also the existences of your children, I truly believe it's up to you to stand up for yourself just that little bit more. Don't throw chairs or anything, but try to talk it out.
As a fellow not-very-understanding person, sometimes I need people to really act up to me to understand that I was being a jerk.
Original post by Aliaaah
Literally I can’t move out neither can I call the police but as much as I love my parents I feel like they’re being selfish and just wanting to me marry for the sake of their respect oh and my dad also keeps saying another line “I want you to marry a guy from Pakistan from my braadri” like seriously idk what’s wrong with him and he really wants me to marry from back home

I'm actually from Pakistan so I can totally understand your situation and take my advice Pakistani men have a very patriarchal mindset but some of them are actually nice.I've guy friends here who are really supportive and caring but honestly its hard to find a good spouse here.Karachi has developed quite alot so its not as backward or underdeveloped as the media shows but yea finding a right man is a big deal here. This marrying into the same sect is such a disgusting mindset even my parents want me to get married to a sunni guy.Desi parents have this mindset bec the people in their times had radical people.They were extremists if someone were to marry a shia the shia guy would try to force his sunni wife to change the sect (basically they were not accepting) but now the times have changed so muchh.The society has progressed sm.i think you should tell him you're not ready to get married now you need some time to about it and ask your insta guy to send rishta after you meet him
Reply 9
Original post by AKK423
I know it sounds like I'm repeating myself, and I do apologise for it, but I think, this being something that will decide the next 60 years of your life, and also the existences of your children, I truly believe it's up to you to stand up for yourself just that little bit more. Don't throw chairs or anything, but try to talk it out.
As a fellow not-very-understanding person, sometimes I need people to really act up to me to understand that I was being a jerk.

I appreciate your help honestly and every single one of you that are replying to this. My dad thinks that I should obey his decision to marry someone from back home as he thinks that’s the best decision for me. But because I am already speaking to someone that I am not ready to tell my parents about yet it’s really hard. My dad thinks he’s right and I’m wrong for saying I want to marry from the uk and when I tell him I don’t want to marry from back home he brings out a list of 100 reasons why I should
Reply 10
I'm actually from Pakistan so I can totally understand your situation and take my advice Pakistani men have a very patriarchal mindset but some of them are actually nice.I've guy friends here who are really supportive and caring but honestly its hard to find a good spouse here.Karachi has developed quite alot so its not as backward or underdeveloped as the media shows but yea finding a right man is a big deal here. This marrying into the same sect is such a disgusting mindset even my parents want me to get married to a sunni guy.Desi parents have this mindset bec the people in their times had radical people.They were extremists if someone were to marry a shia the shia guy would try to force his sunni wife to change the sect (basically they were not accepting) but now the times have changed so muchh.The society has progressed sm.i think you should tell him you're not ready to get married now you need some time to about it and ask your insta guy to send rishta after you meet him

Exactly my point and to be honest I’m not surprised that my dad is saying all this because he has always been a very strict back minded father. With the guy that I am speaking to he is so nice, down to earth and we both like each other and always speak about our future it’s just a matter of meeting him now and hopefully meeting his mum after that. Inshallah once that Happens I can tell my family about him. As of for my dad he said to me today if I don’t say yes to a proposal from back home he won’t ever speak to me again, neither does he want me have his surname anymore and neither will he ever find me a Proposal again. This man is not understanding to speak to
the only reason marriages in the uk don't last as long as in pakistan is probably because the stigma around divorce in asian countries? also think of how these men in pakistan will treat you? they're most likely misogynistic.
If I was in your situation I would be very hurt especially my parents are forcing me on the person I don't want. But even so, the decision is yours but if I am, I do not want to.
Original post by Aliaaah
Exactly my point and to be honest I’m not surprised that my dad is saying all this because he has always been a very strict back minded father. With the guy that I am speaking to he is so nice, down to earth and we both like each other and always speak about our future it’s just a matter of meeting him now and hopefully meeting his mum after that. Inshallah once that Happens I can tell my family about him. As of for my dad he said to me today if I don’t say yes to a proposal from back home he won’t ever speak to me again, neither does he want me have his surname anymore and neither will he ever find me a Proposal again. This man is not understanding to speak to

I haven't been talking to my dad since he slapped me so its totally worth it! Tbh hes just trying to manipulate you.Its not that serious desi parents say stuff like this to convince their kids but after a year or few months they get normal lol.they are weird but serious emotional blackmailers
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
the only reason marriages in the uk don't last as long as in pakistan is probably because the stigma around divorce in asian countries? also think of how these men in pakistan will treat you? they're most likely misogynistic.

I'd like to point out that divorce rates are lower in Pakistan. Whether this is because Pakistani marriages are more stable, or that people have less power to divorce, is up in the air. I don't mean to insult or berate or criticise you, just pointing out where the fact is and where your conjecture is.
First of all, I`m really sorry for what you are going through. Parents should never force their children to marry someone of their preference. Keep in mind that you are a 23-year-old who is about to graduate so can make choices for yourself. I have zero idea about Pakistani culture but assuming that your parents are Muslim you can tell them that Islam doesn't allow forced marriages if you are planning on getting married the person has to be your preference. And do point them out that you are the one who is going to experience and go through the marriage so it`s okay for you to take a risk even if it means to marry someone out of Pakistan. Your opinion and decision matters in your marriage. And if the guy you are talking to is Muslim (assuming that you are Muslim) you can also point out that he is Muslim so there's nothing wrong with that. But telling all this can also trigger and make things quick as I`ve literally heard scenarios where parents advance the wedding dates when children open up. So better wait until your parents actually fix you up with someone or at least until you graduate/ meet the person you are talking to. Does the person you are talking to have an idea on the whole situation? and is he like okay with taking a risk?
During the time being consider talking to relatives who you can trust and are open-minded on these issues so that you have an adult to support when things go wrong?
And finally no matter how things get hard to be sure that there's a way out and never lose hope. May God bless you!
Reply 16
I haven't been talking to my dad since he slapped me so its totally worth it! Tbh hes just trying to manipulate you.Its not that serious desi parents say stuff like this to convince their kids but after a year or few months they get normal lol.they are weird but serious emotional blackmailers

I know what you mean but I do really love both my parents and especially my dad I don’t ever wana do anything to hurt them. But the fact that he’s pressuring me to marry someone from his choice back home has hurt me so bad. My dad is very stubborn I genuinely feel like if I say no to his choice again tomorrow he won’t ever speak to me again
Reply 17
Original post by Baniazz
First of all, I`m really sorry for what you are going through. Parents should never force their children to marry someone of their preference. Keep in mind that you are a 23-year-old who is about to graduate so can make choices for yourself. I have zero idea about Pakistani culture but assuming that your parents are Muslim you can tell them that Islam doesn't allow forced marriages if you are planning on getting married the person has to be your preference. And do point them out that you are the one who is going to experience and go through the marriage so it`s okay for you to take a risk even if it means to marry someone out of Pakistan. Your opinion and decision matters in your marriage. And if the guy you are talking to is Muslim (assuming that you are Muslim) you can also point out that he is Muslim so there's nothing wrong with that. But telling all this can also trigger and make things quick as I`ve literally heard scenarios where parents advance the wedding dates when children open up. So better wait until your parents actually fix you up with someone or at least until you graduate/ meet the person you are talking to. Does the person you are talking to have an idea on the whole situation? and is he like okay with taking a risk?
During the time being consider talking to relatives who you can trust and are open-minded on these issues so that you have an adult to support when things go wrong?
And finally no matter how things get hard to be sure that there's a way out and never lose hope. May God bless you!

Thank you so much for your reply. Firstly yes I am Muslim and so is the guy that I am talking to. The only problem is we haven’t yet met and I did ring him yesterday and I told him about everything. He basically told me to not worry and that inshallah we will meet when things are better in the world so hopefully in a few months. I am yet to do my masters so I still have about two years until I marry, my dad is just making me feel so **** about this whole marriage talk I genuinely feel stressed and hate talking about this topic now. Lol my whole family is back minded so I can’t speak to relatives unfortunately. My dad thinks me marrying from the uk will not be successful and it’s hard to find good men in the uk as they are mainly drug dealers etc. But the guy I am speaking to is not like that at all
Original post by Aliaaah
I know what you mean but I do really love both my parents and especially my dad I don’t ever wana do anything to hurt them. But the fact that he’s pressuring me to marry someone from his choice back home has hurt me so bad. My dad is very stubborn I genuinely feel like if I say no to his choice again tomorrow he won’t ever speak to me again

Its not like i don't love them.I love them but there are times when you really need to draw a boundary line.People here can only advice tbh
You need to put the effort and fight for yourself bec in the end its you who's gonna suffer.We can't let them manipulate us into such life changing decision
you have a right to marry whoever u want

Latest

Trending

Trending