The Student Room Group

Fill your curiostea. TCD edition 💗

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
We got given a test kit for home use, so I’ll do it as soon as I come home. However obviously this isn’t always possible, so I’ll probably test myself every two to three days.

I’m basing this upon whenever I go work, I’ll test myself. Does that make sense?

Ahhh, that’s new information you just supplied. I didn’t know it was conducted like that, it makes sense yeah. Is it that lateral flow test you use or PCR?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Ahhh, that’s new information you just supplied. I didn’t know it was conducted like that, it makes sense yeah. Is it that lateral flow test you use or PCR?

PCR test.
PCR test.

Good, pcr has been proven more effective apparently. Lateral flow isn’t as effective according to BMJ, you have anything to comment about this?
Good, pcr has been proven more effective apparently. Lateral flow isn’t as effective according to BMJ, you have anything to comment about this?

Considering that the results of PCR is more accurate then LF, it does state that we can’t, do the PCR tests at home, which depends on the trusts itself. Our trust has given us a choice to take the PCR test at home, or in the hospital, and same with the LF.

I have however linked a site for your FAQ. 😊

Spoiler

Considering that the results of PCR is more accurate then LF, it does state that we can’t, do the PCR tests at home, which depends on the trusts itself. Our trust has given us a choice to take the PCR test at home, or in the hospital, and same with the LF.

I have however linked a site for your FAQ. 😊

Spoiler

Very helpful information, thanks!

Ahh, so you can’t conduct it at home but depends on the trust, and the circumstances in which you’re in, I understand.

It says you must test yourself twice a week, you’re doing a good job testing yourself whenever you go in.
Very helpful information, thanks!

Ahh, so you can’t conduct it at home but depends on the trust, and the circumstances in which you’re in, I understand.

It says you must test yourself twice a week, you’re doing a good job testing yourself whenever you go in.

You’re welcome 😊

Yes, I live with my elderly parents, so I’m being as cautious as I can. 😊
You’re welcome 😊

Yes, I live with my elderly parents, so I’m being as cautious as I can. 😊

Good :smile:

Well, good luck for tomorrow!
Good :smile:

Well, good luck for tomorrow!

Thank you very much CD. 😊
Covid: Many NHS staff 'traumatised' by first wave of virus, study shows https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55630157
Wednesday 13th January 2021:- 8:40 pm

I will be briefly mentioning about CPAP/Bipap as I found this interesting when I was working in ACCU/ICU.

What is NIV?
NIV is a form of breathing support delivering air, normally with added oxygen, directly with a facemask by positive pressure, used in respiratory failure. The term NIV is often used interchangeably with the trade name BiPAP (Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure), which is the most commonly used machine in the UK.

In the acute setting, NIV is used in type 2 respiratory failure (for instance, in a COPD exacerbation), with respiratory acidosis (pH < 7.35).

What is CPAP?
CPAP supplies constant fixed positive pressure throughout inspiration and expiration. Therefore, it is not a form of ventilation, but splints the airways open. If delivered with oxygen, it can allow a higher degree of inspired oxygen than other oxygen masks. In the chronic setting, it is used for severe obstructive sleep apnoea (splinting the upper airway) and in the acute setting for type 1 respiratory failure, for instance, in acute pulmonary oedema (recruiting collapsed alveoli).

Only someone that is experienced in this field can set up a CPAP machine, it can also be requested by a medical professional if it is deemed fit that the patient will benefit from such in the long term.

CPAP
The following scenarios may be indications for CPAP (this is in the context of optimal medical management already being in place):

•

Chest wall trauma who remain hypoxic irrespective of adequate anaesthesia and high flow oxygen (ensure checked for pneumothorax prior to commencement)

•

Cardiogenic pulmonary oedema

•

Pneumonia: as an additional measure before invasive ventilation or as a ceiling of treatment

•

Obstructive sleep apnoea

Summary
NIV (also known as BiPAP) and CPAP are used as breathing support delivered via a facemask for those in respiratory failure which has not responded to medical management. An ABG (blood gas) is required prior to starting, and for monitoring. . You are not expected to start NIV by yourself. A senior will always be involved in decision making.

NIV machines are not found in every ward, but are in respiratory high dependency bays, HDU and ICU. You can look this up on Youtube or google if you're interested. :smile:

That's just a brief introduction into what machinery are used in ICU. I haven't touched base upon the side effects or anything else, as I did not want to confuse you all.

Spoiler

Covid: Many NHS staff 'traumatised' by first wave of virus, study shows https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55630157

Not surprised. :frown:

Thank you very much for this.

Im not surprised, one will be traumtised especially on what you witness on ICU unit and at times it's unexpectedly too.
How are you doing, TCD?
Original post by Pathway
How are you doing, TCD?

I'm doing great thank you for checking up on me, how are you Pathway?
I'm doing great thank you for checking up on me, how are you Pathway?

Oh! That's good to hear.

I'm okay, hanging in there. Thanks for asking. :redface:
Original post by Pathway
Oh! That's good to hear.

I'm okay, hanging in there. Thanks for asking. :redface:

If there's anything you need let me know please :smile:
Wednesday 13th January 2021:- 8:40 pm

I will be briefly mentioning about CPAP/Bipap as I found this interesting when I was working in ACCU/ICU.

What is NIV?
NIV is a form of breathing support delivering air, normally with added oxygen, directly with a facemask by positive pressure, used in respiratory failure. The term NIV is often used interchangeably with the trade name BiPAP (Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure), which is the most commonly used machine in the UK.

In the acute setting, NIV is used in type 2 respiratory failure (for instance, in a COPD exacerbation), with respiratory acidosis (pH < 7.35).

What is CPAP?
CPAP supplies constant fixed positive pressure throughout inspiration and expiration. Therefore, it is not a form of ventilation, but splints the airways open. If delivered with oxygen, it can allow a higher degree of inspired oxygen than other oxygen masks. In the chronic setting, it is used for severe obstructive sleep apnoea (splinting the upper airway) and in the acute setting for type 1 respiratory failure, for instance, in acute pulmonary oedema (recruiting collapsed alveoli).

Only someone that is experienced in this field can set up a CPAP machine, it can also be requested by a medical professional if it is deemed fit that the patient will benefit from such in the long term.

CPAP
The following scenarios may be indications for CPAP (this is in the context of optimal medical management already being in place):

•

Chest wall trauma who remain hypoxic irrespective of adequate anaesthesia and high flow oxygen (ensure checked for pneumothorax prior to commencement)

•

Cardiogenic pulmonary oedema

•

Pneumonia: as an additional measure before invasive ventilation or as a ceiling of treatment

•

Obstructive sleep apnoea

Summary
NIV (also known as BiPAP) and CPAP are used as breathing support delivered via a facemask for those in respiratory failure which has not responded to medical management. An ABG (blood gas) is required prior to starting, and for monitoring. . You are not expected to start NIV by yourself. A senior will always be involved in decision making.

NIV machines are not found in every ward, but are in respiratory high dependency bays, HDU and ICU. You can look this up on Youtube or google if you're interested. :smile:

That's just a brief introduction into what machinery are used in ICU. I haven't touched base upon the side effects or anything else, as I did not want to confuse you all.

Spoiler

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
A massive thank you to everyone on this thread whether you’ve commented, liked a comment, shared my thread, or even just flicked through this thread.

I appreciate you all! 😊 Thank you very much all.

Please continue to stay at home and please stay safe! Thank you very much. 😊
Thursday 14th January 2021:- 6:26am

Good Morning world! Rise and shine 😊

Today’s going to be a great day(hopefully!). Let’s go get everything done.

Well... not everything because that’s impossible, but most things that are possible.

Stay safe all, and speak soon. 💗
Hey all,

After much thinking, and scattering all information in random threads, I thought I would create this ‘blog’ for all day to day runnings of the NHS.

Come and see what is happening at the hospital, ask as many questions as you want and fill your curiosity.

3 rules though:-

1.) Wash Hands
2.) Keep Distance
3.) Mask
4.) Stay home and protect the NHS.

Welcome and thank you! 😊

Mod note: We understand that there's a lot of uncertainty around currently, and we're all working to find the right information as quickly as possible. When posting, please be mindful to not share misinformation, not to present your own opinion as fact, not to give medical advice and please link to official sources (where possible). If you see a post you believe may be deliberately misleading, just hit the report button. Please be supportive of other students during this stressful time by limiting the spread of misinformation. Please check the government and NHS websites for the most up-to-date advice.

hiya, i am doing a school project about the change in organ donation law. If you have time i would really appreciate it if you could complete my survey for me please and also if you could give me your opinion surrounding the change in law as a medical professional.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZSDJVGV - this is the link i would be grateful if anyone could do it for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending