Exhausted after blood test Watch

This discussion is closed.
marthax
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Found this forum and I do have a question for this section.
I just got a blood test and 3 vials were taken. I'm a small girl, 106 lbs at 5'2".
I got the blood test to see if I'm anemic since I've been feeling dizzy. It's possible I'm not eating healthy enough and getting the necessary nutrients.

Well I got it this morning, almost 8 hours ago and I took a nap just a bit ago. I am SO exhausted and I'm getting nervous. I just want to know if anyone has experienced feeling tired for the rest of the day after a blood test.
I was told I had to fast so I went in there hungry. I've been trying to drink a lot of water and ate a lot, I ate a muffin a bagel and a sandwich. I've been really hungry.
I didn't sleep well and I haven't had my daily coffee because I'm feeling I should take a day off from that. Kind of wondering if not having any is impacting the situation.

I just feel incredibly blah and tired. Has anyone experienced this before and does it sound normal? I'm wondering if it's just all the factors put together or if there's something wrong...
yshield
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
It's normal, especially if you're anemic and quite small.

Take it easy and keep eating. Go for fruit juice if you can rather than water, you need energy to replace the blood you lost.

If you don't feel better tomorrow see the doctor.

3 vials shouldn't be dangerous even for an anemic, or they wouldn't take it.

If you keep stressing you'll exhaust yourself more.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had a fasting blood test a few weeks ago and it knocked me about for a couple of days after. It's normal, don't worry
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's likely not the blood test - you don't sound like you've eaten enough and if you're used to having coffee and you haven't had it today, its no wonder you feel tired. It's a bit late to be eating now, but try to have something small and get a good nights sleep.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had this probem last year. It's probably because you don't weigh much?
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A lot of people get like this after giving blood.
Drink water, and eat something substantial.
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)
It's likely not the blood test - you don't sound like you've eaten enough and if you're used to having coffee and you haven't had it today, its no wonder you feel tired. It's a bit late to be eating now, but try to have something small and get a good nights sleep.
A fasting blood test requires that you don't eat for 14 hours prior to it. So it IS likely to be the blood test. :p:
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
A fasting blood test requires that you don't eat for 14 hours prior to it. So it IS likely to be the blood test. :p:
I've had quite a few fasting blood tests this year (yays for gallstones!) and I know it can cause tiredness, but I was just commenting on the fact that there are a huge number of other factors that could have contributed to it, rather than just the bloods - like the lack of food and missing usual caffeine
marthax
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
*phew*! I feel much better today, even late last night.
Everyone's comments definitely settled my nerves, thank you!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
Most blood tests are not fasting.

Most fasting blood tests are done in the morning. Its hardly a difficult task to not eat anything between 8pm and 10am the following day.

The poster is suffering from whussitis. A condition typified by making a big deal out of having at most 7ml of blood removed out of a total circulating volume of 4000-5000ml.
yshield
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)

Most fasting blood tests are done in the morning. Its hardly a difficult task to not eat anything between 8pm and 10am the following day.

The poster is suffering from whussitis. A condition typified by making a big deal out of having at most 7ml of blood removed out of a total circulating volume of 4000-5000ml.
If she's anemic then losing even small amounts of blood, or not eating for even relatively short periods of time could cause her to feel faint.

You're also not considering that she's quite small, there's a reason they won't let you donate blood if you are under 8stone.
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)

Firstly, who said that 'most bloodtests are fasting' in the first place? No one.

And yes, I'm well aware what a fasting blood test is; I had one a few weeks ago. And actually, for someone who's a serial midnight snacker, it was rather daunting not eating after 7pm until 10am the next day!

Don't judge everyone by your own standards. :rolleyes:
yshield
Report 11 years ago
But he's a macho man, he once had all BUT 3 vials of blood taken from him and he wasn't no wuss.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yshield)
If she's anemic then losing even small amounts of blood, or not eating for even relatively short periods of time could cause her to feel faint.

You're also not considering that she's quite small, there's a reason they won't let you donate blood if you are under 8stone.
Anaemia or not, the amount taken in 3 test vials is TINY compared with the total circulating volume. If you're a very premature baby, losing ~10-20 mls of blood might be significant, but for an adult, even if you're small, it's nothing. When giving blood, they take around 480mls, which is about 25 times the amount taken in a normal blood test, so it's a bit different. As for feeling faint, if that's immediately after the blood test, it's due to a vasovagal reaction rather than the blood loss itself. Most of us can lose at least 10-15% of our circulating volume before it has a physiological effect.

So no, the actual blood test itself won't make you feel crappy. Not eating before, having poor sleep and not having your usual coffee will make you sleepy. Though depending on coffee to keep you awake is a whole other kettle of fish.
yshield
Report 11 years ago
I was just trying to comfort the poor girl.
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yshield)
I was just trying to comfort the poor girl.
nope, you were trying to be a smart arse without realising just how ridiculous what you were saying was.

And you got called on it.

Blood tests remove tiny tiny amounts of blood that are completely replaced in hours.

I mean ask you average girl (or rather one that is VERY open) when the last time her period was only 5ml of blood loss...
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree. The OP is suffering from wussitis. Stop being overly worried about a few ml of blood out of your 5 liter supply.
saoirse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Normal. Take it a bit easier than normal after having bloods done- don't go crazy at the gym etc- and eat something nutritious, and drink water.

They all make me feel more energized after having blood taken
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
I mean ask you average girl (or rather one that is VERY open) when the last time her period was only 5ml of blood loss...
How many average girls measure the volume of blood lost in periods? :confused:
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
haha, valid.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads