struggling academically.. do I drop out?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
A levels aren’t going so well now, I know its late in the year. Do I drop out after this year? everyone seems to be improving while I am getting worse
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is there anything obvious you can change or improve on.Year12 or year !3?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Scotney)
Is there anything obvious you can change or improve on.Year12 or year !3?
Sociology is getting very hard. just not grasping concepts and if thats the case I think higher education is not for me. I am doing English lit and Maths too
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
I’d strongly recommend sticking it out till the end if it’s late in the year. At least you have some chances at getting a grade on your A level rather than dropping out and getting no grade at all.
Paulina-paulina
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don’t drop out as you’ll regret it. You may seem to be getting worse but you actually aren’t. Don’t compare yourself to others as it won’t help anyone. Try talking to teachers if you can although with Covid everything is harder for everyone. Feel free to message me privately if you ever just want to chat
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you asked your teachers for help?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Have you asked your teachers for help?
asking for help would require telling me the answer so no
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Telling you the answer would not be helping you. Explaining how you get to the answer yourself would be helping you - through alternative reading, online material, extra lessons, whatever might make a difference.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's not my area, but usually it's just a question if finding explanations that match your way of thinking. I recommend that you search for different ones on the internet, and read as many as possible. You also need to take time to really think about questions.

I used to hate buying academic books - the vast majority were padded with unnecessary waffle (mathematical subjects) and they always seemed to take odd approaches. The internet now makes it much easier to find different explanations - you should be able to find one that clicks for you. Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 6 months ago
Anonymous #1
If you start struggling this late in the year (now) in one subject and then fall ill would you drop out?
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
I do sociology what kind of things do you struggle with?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do sociology what kind of things do you struggle with?
grasping some concepts. Written work I tend to hit and miss
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
I use revise sociology it’s a website and I find it’s pretty good at explaining concepts. Written work as in essays I think that’s about structure of how you write like point, evidence/example , explain, link back to question if you follow that.
Anonymous #1
I use revise sociology it’s a website and I find it’s pretty good at explaining concepts. Written work as in essays I think that’s about structure of how you write like point, evidence/example , explain, link back to question if you follow that.
its not essays thats a concern its generally in class the homework set or just generally picking out notes from the textbook. I think AS levels are getting too hard now.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
ohh okayy it’s a lot of content tbh I try to read it and condense it. Do you do four a levels at AS because you can drop it at the end of AS if you do?
Anonymous #1
ohh okayy it’s a lot of content tbh I try to read it and condense it. Do you do four a levels at AS because you can drop it at the end of AS if you do?
no I do 3
Anonymous #4
Report 6 months ago
Wait what if you don’t sit them due to rona
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
ahh okayy I don’t think you should drop out if you try hard I’m sure you’ll get it eventually. I struggle with business a lot and I’m just tryna get it over and done with good luck tho
Anonymous #1
Wait what if you don’t sit them due to rona
thats good for me then lol
Anonymous #4
Report 6 months ago
I would say Don’t drop out due to that fact but don’t know for sure!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (45)
27.95%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.7%
No I am happy with my choice (90)
55.9%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise