Will buying and owning a house affect my student finance?

Watch this thread
Katsuno
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

My parents have been looking to buy a house and put it under my name (without the need for a mortgage, so I wont be in any debt).
And so I heard from a friend that if I become a homeowner, I can no longer get any tuition and maintenance loans.

Thank you.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Katsuno)
Hello,

My parents have been looking to buy a house and put it under my name (without the need for a mortgage, so I wont be in any debt).
And so I heard from a friend that if I become a homeowner, I can no longer get any tuition and maintenance loans.

Thank you.
Hi, being a homeowner does not make you ineligible for funding. Your friend is incorrect.

We do need to know about any unearned income such as:

Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
Property Lettings or Rent
Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
Trusts or Sponsorships
Pensions
Payment from their employer who has released them to attend their course
Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries)

So if you receive any property or rent income then you must declare this and this can affect your funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Katsuno
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, being a homeowner does not make you ineligible for funding. Your friend is incorrect.

We do need to know about any unearned income such as:

Trusts or Sponsorships
Pensions
Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries)

So if you receive any property or rent income then you must declare this and this can affect your funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you for your response!
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Katsuno)
Thank you for your response!
You're welcome
LanaSmith
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hello,I have a follow-up question on this one.

You say:
1) being a homeowner does not make you ineligible for funding
2) We do need to know about any unearned income such as: ... Property Lettings or Rent
3) if you receive any property or rent income then you must declare this and this can affect your funding

The 3 combined sound confusing to me. I am interested in tuition fees loan only (no maintenance).

Q1: so owning a property I am eligible for student loan (tuition fees) anyway?
Q2: if I own the property but DO NOT receive any income off it (no rent, no selling etc) - do I need to declare the ownership? Does it affect funding?

Thank you!
Last edited by LanaSmith; 7 months ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LanaSmith)
Hello,I have a follow-up question on this one.

You say:
1) being a homeowner does not make you ineligible for funding
2) We do need to know about any unearned income such as: ... Property Lettings or Rent
3) if you receive any property or rent income then you must declare this and this can affect your funding

The 3 combined sound confusing to me. I am interested in tuition fees loan only (no maintenance).

Q1: so owning a property I am eligible for student loan (tuition fees) anyway?
Q2: if I own the property but DO NOT receive any income off it (no rent, no selling etc) - do I need to declare the ownership? Does it affect funding?

Thank you!
Hi Lana,

I'll answer both in order.

1. Owning a property does not affect eligibility or entitlement.
2. If you do not have unearned income from the property then no you don't have to put anything as unearned income regarding your home.

Thanks, Isaac
suzieheale31
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi lana Do you know about inheritance if that would affect a student loan application when the house is sold I'd like to put my share into buying a house but fear the money coming to me may make me un eligible and then I'd have to waste money renting etc
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by suzieheale31)
Hi lana Do you know about inheritance if that would affect a student loan application when the house is sold I'd like to put my share into buying a house but fear the money coming to me may make me un eligible and then I'd have to waste money renting etc
Hi, we only need to know about any unearned income.

Income that will be taken into account

Trusts or Sponsorships
Pensions

Income that will NOT be taken into account

Any earnings from full or part-time work this can be vacation work or work during term time
Maintenance Loan or Grant payments
Child and Working Tax Credits
State benefits
ISA’s, TESSA’s
Payments received from parents under covenant
Child maintenance payments received. These maintenance payments should be included as part of the children’s income in section 8d
Teacher Training Bursaries
Care Leavers Bursary
Other Higher Education Bursaries (HEBSS/WBS)
Bounties paid by the armed services to reservists or disablement or invalidity pensions
Profit from selling property
Ebay

Thanks, Isaac
SharonJC
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi. I’m in the process of buying a property but it may not be completed before I have to submit my finance documents. In the meantime I have moved in with my parents until it goes through. How do I complete the finance form? Do I say I’m living at home and have to give details about my parents income, or do I explain I will be living in my own home and responsible for myself by the time I start Uni?Thanks
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SharonJC)
Hi. I’m in the process of buying a property but it may not be completed before I have to submit my finance documents. In the meantime I have moved in with my parents until it goes through. How do I complete the finance form? Do I say I’m living at home and have to give details about my parents income, or do I explain I will be living in my own home and responsible for myself by the time I start Uni?Thanks
Hi there,

If you are going to be living in your own home by the time you start, we would advise stating you are living elsewhere. This means you can get the correct finance. Are you under the age of 25?

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads