The Student Room Group

I was rejected by Oxford

I applied chemistry in st Catz with A*A*A*A*A and got rejected....I tried to forget this but just cannot calm down, so many of my friends got their offers and there are teachers I know sending loads of posts about the offers from their students! I am just so sad and the students in. my school appear to be very happy about my rejection as I am the top student in my class.... what can I do? I am going to take my alevel exams a few days later and I do not want this affecting my exams
I do understand how you feel. I was rejected as well (though from Cambridge) for a subject that I excel at & am known to be the best at in school. It is definitely a hit to one's ego to be rejected by the top university to study a subject that they believe they are truly passionate about & good at. But that's life. The thing you have to understand (and what took me months to realise) is that rejection is merely redirection. Just because you were rejected by Oxford does not make you any less of a person than you are. It doesn't make you any dumber; it doesn't mean that you aren't the top student in your class. A lot of it comes down to luck & maybe Lady Luck just wasn't on your side this time. After all, for every applicant who gets in, 5 equally qualified applicants get rejected - for a university as competitive as Oxford, that sadly is the case. You just need to remind yourself that getting into Oxford isn't the be-all and end-all. It is awful that people in your school are happy that you got rejected - however, you just need to prove to them that you ARE capable & that you are going to succeed, regardless of which university you end up going to. Smash your A-Levels & prove it to them :smile:
take a deep breath as you read this .. and try meditation . sometimes it's our over expectations that causes us misery . meditate on peace of mind and put your phone aside and start studying coz this tension will cause you more trouble in short your grades will be affected . I wish you the best for upcoming exams . I hope you will do much better !! try reading a self help book . this will surely help . first be willing to change yourself ! 🙂🙂 hope this helps !
Agree with above comments, although with those grades don’t know why you would be rejected. Keep your head up. Experiences like these make or break students don’t let it break you.
Original post by Student100020
Agree with above comments, although with those grades don’t know why you would be rejected. Keep your head up. Experiences like these make or break students don’t let it break you.

I totally agree with you 👍
Original post by Hedwigeeeee
I applied chemistry in st Catz with A*A*A*A*A and got rejected....I tried to forget this but just cannot calm down, so many of my friends got their offers and there are teachers I know sending loads of posts about the offers from their students! I am just so sad and the students in. my school appear to be very happy about my rejection as I am the top student in my class.... what can I do? I am going to take my alevel exams a few days later and I do not want this affecting my exams

It's their loss - do not let this 'blip' define your life. Excel in your exams and go to another great uni ...

It's says a lot that people you regarded as friends can't be supportive - just shows their true colours imho.

There are a lot of useful thoughts and reflections from unsuccessful Oxford applicants in this thread:

Dealing with Oxbridge rejection
Thank you guys,I will try my best to recover from the rejection,your suggestions are really helpful.
Wow - you applied to one of the top unis in the world and got an interview DURING A PANDEMIC?? That's incredible!!! You should be so proud of yourself just for that!!! So I know it's easier said than done, but don't be too hard on yourself, let out that frustration by doing something you love, and try and stay away from social media (it will only make you feel worse!). I promise you that wherever you end up you will do incredibly with grades like that, and Oxbridge isn't the only good place out there! Good luck in your studies xx

Aww Hedwig, its tough it really is. I went through this with my own daughter last year. Top of the class in physics, got the GCSEs, predicted Alevel grades. It is going to be a hard day or so, but this sadness will eventually pass. Naturally you do not want this affecting your exams. One of the things my daughter did was on her study breaks before her mocks, she would watch you videos and vloggers at the other unis. She also started to look at accomodation on the unis websites and checked out local spots in the city. She started to get excited again :smile:
Im pretty sure you have a great work ethic. How can you not? youve applied to Oxbridge. This will apply to other unis too. Come September October and you are with new friends and having a whale of time and fun labs and seminars with the lecturers, this memory will be in the distance. And because of your dedidication, Im sure you will excel :smile:
Reply 10
I'm sorry that happened, but grades are *not* the only consideration for Oxbridge. In fact, they're usually choosing between candidates with pretty similar grades. Sometimes they'll take people with lower grades if they think they show more academic creativity or better suitability for independent study.

But here's the two other important thoughts (a) you can have a stellar education at plenty other universities, (b) you can apply again for your post-graduate degree.
Original post by Benarro
I'm sorry that happened, but grades are *not* the only consideration for Oxbridge. In fact, they're usually choosing between candidates with pretty similar grades. Sometimes they'll take people with lower grades if they think they show more academic creativity or better suitability for independent study.

But here's the two other important thoughts (a) you can have a stellar education at plenty other universities, (b) you can apply again for your post-graduate degree.

True Benarro, daughters going to try for a post grad once shes got her masters. she will apply for others but Oxford too. shes working hard in first year to set a good impression when she does the application in years to come :smile:

Did you get an interview?
:hugs:
Original post by DiamondYeti
Did you get an interview?

yes
Take however long it takes to get over this. Rejection hurts and if you want to go into exams with a clear mind, you need to come to the term with it. Make a backup plan.
Totally normal to feel this way. Pretty much 80% applicants are rejected, it’s really not uncommon but sites like this and social media etc do skew the figures and make it look like everyone’s getting in. Remind yourself of the advantages of another uni. Chin up :smile:
Reply 18

Hey, I just wondered how you're exams ended up going? If you got those grades, it might be worth reapplying next year.
Original post by Eli55
Hey, I just wondered how you're exams ended up going? If you got those grades, it might be worth reapplying next year.

omg i am here again to see the thread i posted months ago lol. yes i got those grades but i will not apply again due to the pandemic and also i do not think i will be accepted by Oxford even i reapply ,unlike local students,it is extremely hard for international students to go to Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending