is it possible to go into nursing with a history of mental health

Watch
pjspooky
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hello! i’m thinking about applying for nursing at university when the time comes, either adult or mental health. i was wondering if anyone knows whether a history of mental illness will affect my chances of getting in or getting a job after graduating. i had anorexia, depression, and anxiety as a younger teen, around 12 and 13. i’ve been discharged fully from camhs this year, but i haven’t seen camhs in maybe 2.5 years? i had to stay “enrolled” because i was coming off my medication. i’m fully recovered, but have scars on my arms. they are white and hard to see from a distance, and i’d be fine with covering them. i’m particularly worried about mental health nursing, i feel like they’d be more likely to reject someone with my history. i’ll be applying to universities in 2022 at the earliest and it’s likely i’ll take a gap year. does anyone have any idea how my history will affect it?
raredisposition
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It would be ridiculous if they held this against you. Nursing is an incredible profession to go into and I’m sure they will take you and give you any extra support that you need to help you achieve your goals x
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So many Mental Health Nurses (student & Registered) have lived experience of mental ill health themselves... myself included. As long as your condition is well-managed you’ll be okay

Check out The Equality Act 2010 and what that means for mental health
millsr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You'll be asked to complete an occupational health check in order to start a nursing degree, in which you'll have to disclose your history with mental health. This will be after an offer to study has been made, so they cannot reject your application on those grounds as they won't have your details at that point. Once you've completed the occupational health check, they can only refuse to let you start the course if they feel that any mental health condition you have/have had will prevent you from being able to meet the demands of the course. If you have evidence that you have not suffered from/received treatment for your mental health conditions for a few years, they'd have no justifiable grounds on which they could reject you. Even if you had a mental health condition at the time of your application, they could only reject you if they felt you could not safely meet the demands of the course. Do be honest when asked to disclose details though - if you lie and get caught, they may well be able to throw you off a course for that. There are more details on this document about NMC health and character requirements, which universities base their requirements on:
https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/...ugust-2020.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (108)
27.55%
England (134)
34.18%
Belgium (30)
7.65%
Germany (41)
10.46%
Spain (8)
2.04%