xcongsl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I want to apply to medicine and I am especially looking for courses that teach a module on nutrition as I believe it is incredibly important and something all doctors should be taught. I have not come across any so far but does anyone know if any unis teach it?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by xcongsl)
I want to apply to medicine and I am especially looking for courses that teach a module on nutrition as I believe it is incredibly important and something all doctors should be taught. I have not come across any so far but does anyone know if any unis teach it?
Apply according to your stats, if you wanted to do more on nutrition I am sure you can do a Student Selected Component, or even intercalate in related disciplines.

Medicine itself is hard enough to get in, pick according to your stats.

Even if someone comes along and says "X med school has a module on dietitics" the fluidity of med school curriculum means that this module could be revised by the time you're at that stage.
Last edited by ecolier; 6 months ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Nutrition as in dietetics? Not covered in any UK medical degree as far as I'm aware.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends what you mean by nutrition - I'm sure all/most med schools will bung in something on "er yes eat vegetables" You'll also learn about micronutrients and nutrient deficiencies as part of the clinical course (eg macrocytic anaemia caused by B12/folate deficiency), and talk about diet in relation to say diabetes. Dietetics in detail I'd be really surprised, as that's a full 3 year degree on its own.

But essentially focus on getting in, then apply your interest to a research project, BSc, SSC, postgraduate study or whatever. Even if an undergraduate course has a module or some teaching on nutrition it's unlikely to go into lots of depth - at Imperial we have an LMAP (lifestyle medicine and population health) module with one or two lectures on healthy eating in year 1, and some more in year 2, which is probably a 'lot' early on for a med degree, but it's still not loads.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm sure there are institutions that will let you intercalate in Nutrition/Dietetics if that's where your interest lies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads