Want more information about this university?

Why has Uni of Surrey gone down in rankings so much?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I’ve applied for Uni of Surrey for Law LLB to start in 2021. However, it concerns me that it’s gone down in rankings so much. Only a few years ago it was seen as one of the best in the country and now it seems to have fallen off a little. Can anyone give me insight in to why this might be?
Johnny ~
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
When was it seen as one of the best in the country? Any sources for this claim?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Johnny ~)
When was it seen as one of the best in the country? Any sources for this claim?
It was ranked no.4 in the guardian uni rankings in 2016 when my brother applied.
Anonymous #1
Li

(Original post by Anonymous)
It was ranked no.4 in the guardian uni rankings in 2016 when my brother applied.
In 2016 and 2017 it was no.4 in guardian rankings and now this year no.54
AKK423
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps brexit leading to scarce funding is another reason.
Most universities are having trouble to secure funding, which they previously got via a deal due to being a part of the EU.

If you look at every university in the QS and THE rankings from the UK, they went down over the last few years. Specifically this year.

Another, minor factor may be that there exist universities in this world that simply weren't recognised by prior methodologies but are amazing universities. As methodologies change over time, this may influence results and it may be that Surrey was never very good to begin with - just that it was seen more positively by flawed metrics. Or it may be that Surrey is still good but the current methodology doesn't recognise it and may be flawed.

So I urge you to look at the rankings less, and the actual university more. Make your decision based on your compatibility with the university because league tables are kind of wack.
Johnny ~
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
Guardian? Well there's your answer.
Tomy12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rankings fluctuate all the time I honestly wouldn’t worry. Anyway Surrey is high enough that it doesn’t matter, I mean as long as it’s not so low it’s cast out as a stinker, then it will be good enough to get you good experience coming out of university; from there university rankings are more of a my **** is bigger than your **** fiasco whereby mentioning it will cause the impression of “ass-burgers” syndrome. Hope this helped, I study at Surrey
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I’ve applied for Uni of Surrey for Law LLB to start in 2021. However, it concerns me that it’s gone down in rankings so much. Only a few years ago it was seen as one of the best in the country and now it seems to have fallen off a little. Can anyone give me insight in to why this might be?
Hi,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey . I'm on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) this year and I'm enjoying it a lot. I have some interesting subjects with really good lecturers (obviously depends on the module and lecturers you have). Surrey is 8th in the UK for business and economics for example. Rankings fluctuate all the time I honestly wouldn’t worry

The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

During my first year, I spent a lot of time training as part of the University’s rowing team and I had amazing time there. So, if you are into sports that is something you should definitively consider.

I think this may help you.

All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-e...ics-in-surrey/

Study and work abroad:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-exchanges/study-abroad

More than 140 societies and clubs to join:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/bulgariab...clubs-to-join/

Joao
Economics
DeeDeeJay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't worry about rankings too much, especially after the challenges of last year- rankings are all over the place! Surrey was also known to be one of the University's that held places for candidates who lost out on predicted grades last year, so they accepted candidates with much lower grades than they would normally do. This will also alter their ranking as entry standards are part of the scoring. It's all a bit of a marketing game.

Surrey has always been a popular university, it's courses are always oversubscribed every year and it has a prestigious and influential alumni to nudge for funding. It's definitely a credible choice and still one of the best in the country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%