The Student Room Group

DSA Laptop Experience

Hi everyone,

I've just been accepted for DSA for the first time, as a final year student (and I'm finished in the summer). I was just wondering how everyone's experience with the issuing of laptops has been.

I'm a media student, so a device capable of video editing software is a must, and I understand the base laptop is ultimately weak in processing and graphical power. What is the upgrade process like? and subsequently, how easy is it to purchase your own, and then be reimbursed for that?

My current laptop is definitely not up to scratch, so hopefully, everything turns out fine enough. Thanks
Original post by arannlear
Hi everyone,

I've just been accepted for DSA for the first time, as a final year student (and I'm finished in the summer). I was just wondering how everyone's experience with the issuing of laptops has been.

I'm a media student, so a device capable of video editing software is a must, and I understand the base laptop is ultimately weak in processing and graphical power. What is the upgrade process like? and subsequently, how easy is it to purchase your own, and then be reimbursed for that?

My current laptop is definitely not up to scratch, so hopefully, everything turns out fine enough. Thanks

Have you had your needs assessment yet?
If not, these would definitely be questions to ask your assessor. :yep:

I have never gone through the upgrade process, but I do have a DSA laptop and have gone through the normal process twice - so happy to help where I can. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Have you had your needs assessment yet?
If not, these would definitely be questions to ask your assessor. :yep:

I have never gone through the upgrade process, but I do have a DSA laptop and have gone through the normal process twice - so happy to help where I can. :smile:

Yes, had it yesterday but didn’t bring the fact up. How did it go for you though? Time between placing the order and for delivery? Thank you
Original post by arannlear
Yes, had it yesterday but didn’t bring the fact up. How did it go for you though? Time between placing the order and for delivery? Thank you
Delivery was within a week I think :smile:
Some of my DSA application was a bit messy and last minute (mostly my fault) so not sure I can really answer as to how it went.
I was a music student, so I needed a MacBook with some good processing power, so it was much more than the budget. I found upgrading really easy. I just told them what I need and it was all ordered through them as they need to put the relevant software on it, they do try and look for the best price point, you just pay them the difference and then mine was delivered within 2 weeks. I think they paid about £400ish towards it and I footed the extra £600. I think more often than not students ask for a better model so the process was really easy it's just that they can't order it till you pay the excess.
Original post by username5609574
I was a music student, so I needed a MacBook with some good processing power, so it was much more than the budget. I found upgrading really easy. I just told them what I need and it was all ordered through them as they need to put the relevant software on it, they do try and look for the best price point, you just pay them the difference and then mine was delivered within 2 weeks. I think they paid about £400ish towards it and I footed the extra £600. I think more often than not students ask for a better model so the process was really easy it's just that they can't order it till you pay the excess.

What supplier did you go though mines quoting me £860 for a mac book air

Quick Reply

Latest