English lit or English lit + language?

Watch
oliwia_jakobczak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi! I’m now starting to think about the a-levels i’d like to choose and the college i’d like to go to offers Literature as a separate course and English literature AND language together. What is regarded as better? Personally i enjoy Literature because of the context and perceptive ideas. What are your guys opinions?
aimeestaines1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by oliwia_jakobczak)
Hi! I’m now starting to think about the a-levels i’d like to choose and the college i’d like to go to offers Literature as a separate course and English literature AND language together. What is regarded as better? Personally i enjoy Literature because of the context and perceptive ideas. What are your guys opinions?
Hi, I’m a second year college student who chose English literature and I have been accepted into both English and pure English lit uni courses! In my opinion, I would go with your best interest. I definitely prefer lit over combined and a fair few unis do offer lit as a stand-alone degree (I find that the ones who offer ‘English’ tend to be very literature based also). It depends what you want to study at uni, if you plan to, I find that lit is very credible in different areas such as law but I’m only hearing this from friends so maybe take it with a pinch of salt! It shouldn’t prohibit you either way so go with what you think you will enjoy most for the next two years! Here if you have any questions, I hope this helped on some level
oliwia_jakobczak
Rep:
?
Yes thank you so much! I want to study law and i’ve heard and read that literature is very credible. I enjoy literature more than language so i think i might go with just literature! Thank you very much
aimeestaines1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes thank you so much! I want to study law and i’ve heard and read that literature is very credible. I enjoy literature more than language so i think i might go with just literature! Thank you very much
Good luck! I’m still in college myself but can try my best to help out if you need anything <3
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Neither are regarded as better. They're simply different courses. I would do whichever one you find most interesting / think you'll get a good grade in. Universities really won't be impressed if you do English Lit or English Lang&Lit combined instead of English Lang.

That said, if you're thinking of studying English Lit at university, make sure to do either English Lit or English Lit&Lang combined (as it's required).
oliwia_jakobczak
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice! that’s the bad thing that there isn’t any specific requirements or pro of either english but this can also be regarded as a positive as i can choose freely which one suits me better! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (32)
35.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
10%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.44%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (25)
27.78%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (13)
14.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (7)
7.78%

Watched Threads