The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm learning nothing?

I'm in 1st year and studying remotely from home. Due to the pandemic and other things going on in my life, I have just been trying to keep my head above water. I don't think I've learned the revision/study techniques that I'll need for 2nd & 3rd year. I still struggle with note-taking. I'm worried about how this will impact me later on and genuinely don't think I'll pass 2nd year. Am I the only one?
I'm in first year and I get you. I have exams going on rn and I feel like I've pretty much forgotten how to revise. I also get your whole thing about note-taking. I've come out of Term 1 with about 200 pages worth of notes and I'm only now realising how much of that I just...didn't even need to write. It's weird. I tend not to think about the future if I can help it but at the same time I won't lie, I'm concerned about it at times. I've gotten through parts of the first term by thinking "It's ok, it's first year, it doesn't count" and I don't know how I'll fare when I can't do that any more
You're not the only one. I've learnt more info from my textbooks than I have from any lecturer. I still don't know how to plan assignments or take notes (I don't even take notes because I can just 'watch back later' which I never do). Second-year is definitely going to be an experience.
Reply 3
Original post by charlocat
You're not the only one. I've learnt more info from my textbooks than I have from any lecturer. I still don't know how to plan assignments or take notes (I don't even take notes because I can just 'watch back later' which I never do). Second-year is definitely going to be an experience.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I haven't met anyone from uni so I have no one to talk to about it. I'm really scared for 2nd year :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by MidnightSymphony
I'm in first year and I get you. I have exams going on rn and I feel like I've pretty much forgotten how to revise. I also get your whole thing about note-taking. I've come out of Term 1 with about 200 pages worth of notes and I'm only now realising how much of that I just...didn't even need to write. It's weird. I tend not to think about the future if I can help it but at the same time I won't lie, I'm concerned about it at times. I've gotten through parts of the first term by thinking "It's ok, it's first year, it doesn't count" and I don't know how I'll fare when I can't do that any more

I have anxiety so I can't help worrying about the future. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this tho.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in 1st year and studying remotely from home. Due to the pandemic and other things going on in my life, I have just been trying to keep my head above water. I don't think I've learned the revision/study techniques that I'll need for 2nd & 3rd year. I still struggle with note-taking. I'm worried about how this will impact me later on and genuinely don't think I'll pass 2nd year. Am I the only one?

Hiya!

This year has been a real struggle! :frown: But I don't think you would have impacted your learning ability negatively, I would probably say you will be better off as now you can study independently and have adapted to learning online!

The best tips for revision that work for me (and have used pre and post covid):
- Use the lecture slides
I found in first year that I would waste time hand writing all of the slides. What I learnt worked best for me was to learn the content prior the online lectures and then have the powerpoint slides ready and add into the notes section anything the lecturer says that wasn't on the slides.

- Prioritise Reading
If i'm struggling to get through all of the recommended readings I will prioritise it into:
a- Reading that will help my assignments
b- Readings of topics that I don't understand
Then when i finish these I will complete the rest of the other readings. I found summarising/ bullet pointing notes from the readings and writing these down helped me most for revision for exams.

- Study Support
I recommended emailing any questions to your study support team. I always send them my work and they can read over it and change any grammar, spelling errors and provide feedback on how to strengthen your argument. They're really helpful!

Hope this helps! Sam - Official Student Rep:smile:
I have anxiety so I can't help worrying about the future. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this tho.

Me too. I had so many goals, I had planned out what I wanted to achieve, it all just feels a bit hopeless now, if I'm honest. I'm trying to make the most out of university because it's expensive and I do want the degree, but it's definitely a struggle!

Me too, I feel this strongly, as a first year studying remotely, I'm also thinking I haven't learning as well especially through online lessons. I just find it so detached and difficult to focus. My energy levels for studying were really low:frown:
But I'm hoping to put more energy into the new term hopefully, and also making friends in my year is really good as we can share revision resources and notes.
I don't think you will fail, it's common for first years to struggle, especially us first years this year.
I think if we just try to keep up, and seek help from others including teachers and mentors when you need a little more support, then we will be alright!
Just know you are not alone xx
Also me. We had loads of field trips (some abroad for placement opportunities too) and lab sessions cancelled and its all online except the lecturers do not know how to make a lecture interesting. They over complicate everything and drone on and if you ask a question they never answer it directly, they just waffle and lose their thread.
Most of the lectures outside of the ones that are to help with assignments are just pointless filler (and even the assignment orientated ones don't really help).
It feels like every new topic we go onto they start in the middle of it and on some obscure branch of the topic, so most people are clueless as to what the point of it is.
I've heard aswell that the 2nd year's are struggling a lot too. We're supposed to have placements at the end of the 1st year but loads of places will not take any students on during the current situation so I honestly don't know what will happen.
It sucks big time. I get obviously they can't change it but I really really wish they'd stop painting everything as being all fine and just as good as any other year when it's clearly not. It's patronising as hell and most of my class are mature students, we're not stupid, we know we're losing out on tons of stuff so pretending online learning has "so many perks :biggrin:) doesn't cut it.
On top of that we have one really *****y tutor who makes snide and sarcastic comments constantly. She made a comment to me the other day because I don't have the most up to date laptop and have to join the lectures through my phone, which doesn't support a lot of the apps she wants to use for quizzes and such. Proper gets on my nerves.
Going anon for this just in case some of this gets back to anyone I know. Yes I'm paranoid haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending