Receptor Tyrosine kinase

Watch this thread
science_geeks
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Can someone please explain what protein aggregation means? In the activation of receptor tyrosine kinase, once the signal molecule binds to the receptor 2 receptor polypeptides aggregate - I don't quite understand what that means.

Any help would be really appreciated - thanks in advance!
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by science_geeks)
Hi,

Can someone please explain what protein aggregation means? In the activation of receptor tyrosine kinase, once the signal molecule binds to the receptor 2 receptor polypeptides aggregate - I don't quite understand what that means.

Any help would be really appreciated - thanks in advance!
Aggregate means to clump together. However, I wouldn't use the term 'aggregate' when talking about receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs). When a ligand binds to an RTK, it causes dimerisation of the receptor (i.e. two receptors join together to form a dimer). The cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase domains (i.e. the bit of the receptor inside the cell) then phosphorylate tyrosine residues on each other (autophosphorylation). This allows adaptor proteins to bind to these phosphotyrosine resides, and this can then lead to activation of intracellular signalling cascades (e.g. Ras-Raf-Mek-ERK, etc.).

I know you didn't ask for any more detail but I thought I'd include it if you're interested.
science_geeks
Rep:
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Aggregate means to clump together. However, I wouldn't use the term 'aggregate' when talking about receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs). When a ligand binds to an RTK, it causes dimerisation of the receptor (i.e. two receptors join together to form a dimer). The cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase domains (i.e. the bit of the receptor inside the cell) then phosphorylate tyrosine residues on each other (autophosphorylation). This allows adaptor proteins to bind to these phosphotyrosine resides, and this can then lead to activation of intracellular signalling cascades (e.g. Ras-Raf-Mek-ERK, etc.).

I know you didn't ask for any more detail but I thought I'd include it if you're interested.
Thank you so much - the detail is great, it helps pull everything together I have a couple other questions related to drug targets and intercellular signalling cascades, would you mind helping me with those too? Thanks
Jpw1097
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much - the detail is great, it helps pull everything together I have a couple other questions related to drug targets and intercellular signalling cascades, would you mind helping me with those too? Thanks
No problem. Of course, go ahead.
science_geeks
Rep:
No problem. Of course, go ahead.
Thank you so much! In the phospholipase C signalling cascade would the following be correct?
1st messenger - Adrenaline
1st effector - Phospholipase C
2nd messenger - IP3
2nd effector - Protein kinase C

Thanks!
Jpw1097
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! In the phospholipase C signalling cascade would the following be correct?
1st messenger - Adrenaline
1st effector - Phospholipase C
2nd messenger - IP3
2nd effector - Protein kinase C

Thanks!
Presumably you are talking about α1 receptors, as they are Gq-coupled receptors and therefore will activate the IP3 pathway.

Yes, I think you're right. Binding of adrenaline to the receptor leads to the activation of phospholipase C. PLC converts phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate (PIP2) to inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP3) and DAG. IP3 opens calcium channels on the endoplasmic reticulum, increasing cytoplasmic calcium concentration which helps DAG activate PKC.
science_geeks
Rep:
Presumably you are talking about α1 receptors, as they are Gq-coupled receptors and therefore will activate the IP3 pathway.

Yes, I think you're right. Binding of adrenaline to the receptor leads to the activation of phospholipase C. PLC converts phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate (PIP2) to inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP3) and DAG. IP3 opens calcium channels on the endoplasmic reticulum, increasing cytoplasmic calcium concentration which helps DAG activate PKC.
Yes, that's exactly the signalling pathway I was referring to. Thank you for clarifying this and for your help!
Jpw1097
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes, that's exactly the signalling pathway I was referring to. Thank you for clarifying this and for your help!
No problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.63%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
26.04%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (52)
54.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads