The Student Room Group

Harry Potter books?

For some reason, I never finished the Harry Potter series. I’m 18 now!! When I was younger I’d always get to the 4th and stop then start over and stop at the 4th book again! Now that it’s lockdown I have more time... is it worth trying to read the whole series or shld I not bother???

Lmk wot u think :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Alishalol
For some reason, I never finished the Harry Potter series. I’m 18 now!! When I was younger I’d always get to the 4th and stop then start over and stop at the 4th book again! Now that it’s lockdown I have more time... is it worth trying to read the whole series or shld I not bother???

Read it hella times would defo recommend
If you liked the first 4, you will like the rest, yes. I preferred them even. Gets darker and more interesting tbh.
Reply 3
Probably an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't bother. I remember trying to read book 1 when I was about 9 and absolutely hating it. I eventually forced myself to read the whole series when I was in year 8 and on a bit of a kick reading popular books that everyone else was talking about. I personally found the series quite dull, I didn't much like nor care for the characters and the worldbuilding was 'eh' at best. It's probably my least favourite series ever so I wouldn't recommend them myself.

I am over 30 and didn't even finish the very first book of this series, although it is still in my possession. If you like to read the books, be my guest and read. The age does not matter. Adults even read Alice in Wonderland, although it was originally intended for the little daughter of the author. :lol:
(edited 3 years ago)
Go for it, I would give it a try. If you start and you don’t like it, you don’t have to finish. I would even consider starting at the beginning again as I think you read them in a different way and get different things out of them as an adult.
Go for it :smile: you don't have anything to lose. The first 3 are pretty short, so depending on how fast you read you may find them easier than lsst time. If you din't dnjoy them there're always other books :yep:

Yesssss u've got to read themm, all of them, my personal favourite is the 5th one but they're all so good!
I would highly recommend the Stephen Fry readings of the full series free on podcast.
Reply 9
100%!!! i started reading the harry potter books too in lockdown! :smile:
Reply 10

I know this reply is quite late - you posted a month ago (have u read the whole series yet?), but it depends on what type of endings you like, and which of the characters you liked, because after book 4, at least one main character dies in each of the books afterwards. It's an overall happy ending, but the books afterwards get quite dark, but the 5th book was one of my favourites. I've read the series quite a lot of times, and I really like it. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by AA..
I know this reply is quite late - you posted a month ago (have u read the whole series yet?), but it depends on what type of endings you like, and which of the characters you liked, because after book 4, at least one main character dies in each of the books afterwards. It's an overall happy ending, but the books afterwards get quite dark, but the 5th book was one of my favourites. I've read the series quite a lot of times, and I really like it. :smile:

Unfortunately as I have mocks coming up I haven’t finished! Scarily I’m on the 4th again!! But yes I look forward to reading the 5th one soon. Out of curiosity, how do you find the movies in comparison? :smile:
Reply 12
Unfortunately as I have mocks coming up I haven’t finished! Scarily I’m on the 4th again!! But yes I look forward to reading the 5th one soon. Out of curiosity, how do you find the movies in comparison? :smile:

The movies were quite good - I've only watched the first 3. But I prefer the books. :smile:
Have you watched all the movies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending