The Student Room Group

Grades aren't improving?

I'm in yr 13 and do Maths A level. We still have mocks and I'm happy I have an extra month to actually improve, but from the papers I've been doing my grades are getting worse or I only manage to improve by a tiny amount.

I attempted one of papers my teacher uploaded but it's beyond difficult and now I'm even more worried. What should I do?
Original post by Hiro2468
I'm in yr 13 and do Maths A level. We still have mocks and I'm happy I have an extra month to actually improve, but from the papers I've been doing my grades are getting worse or I only manage to improve by a tiny amount.

I attempted one of papers my teacher uploaded but it's beyond difficult and now I'm even more worried. What should I do?

Read Atomic Habits. Putting in the work improves bit by bit, and only after a certain amount of time of doing it you will achieve success, and people will then call it an 'overnight success' when actually you've been putting in the work for a long time. I would highly recommend the book.
Reply 2
Original post by Azotic02
Read Atomic Habits. Putting in the work improves bit by bit, and only after a certain amount of time of doing it you will achieve success, and people will then call it an 'overnight success' when actually you've been putting in the work for a long time. I would highly recommend the book.

Thank you I'll check it out!
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Bump? I really need advice.
Original post by Hiro2468
Bump? I really need advice.

Sorry; I don't think I gave sufficient advice in my earlier post.
The reason why you're not improving is simply due to the fact you're repeating past papers after past papers without analysing where you went wrong. Do your exams in timed conditions, and note the topics which you got wrong. Revise the hardest topics first and try the hardest questions on that topic in the textbook (a ton of questions). Keep repeating this until you have covered all your weak topics in the past paper. Only after doing this, do another paper.
There is no secret to getting good at maths- it's just practice, and recognizing where exactly you're going wrong. I've seen oxford tutors giving the same advice. Just keep doing questions and once you get comfortable with every single possible question which can come up, you'll be set.
Good luck
put in the hard work but try not to get stressed, as getting stressed can be counterproductive.
good luck mate

Quick Reply

Latest