The Student Room Group

Should I bother going to an assessment centre?

Hello,

I am currently a final year BEng civil engineering student, but I have the option to do the MEng which I want to do.

However, I have an assessment centre tomorrow for a big construction company, but the salary is only £24,000, it isn't in an area of engineering I like or want to go into, and the programme only lasts two years, so it isn't even a guaranteed job at the end of it.

I already have other assessment centres lined up, and I also have exams/CWs to do in the next few days, so do you reckon it's worth going?

The only benefit I can see is the experience of doing an assessment centre and having more options available to me if I get an offer.
Reply 1
You should definitely go to it. The experience is invaluable and will very likely help you in your future assessment centres.

Getting a job is significantly more difficult than applying and obtaining a masters degree, so I'd consider any job offer very seriously if I was in your position. Even if the job is not quite what you want, you are at least through the door and gaining important industrial experience and transferrable skills that you would otherwise not get with a masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending